SDS-200 display flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed that the display on my 2nd SDS-200 is flickering. I have 2 SDS-200s and the old SDS-200 has no problems
with the display. Both are programed identical and I insure that in Sentinel that I had selected the SDS-200 as the target
scanner. It appears that this just started. I did shut the scanner off for about 2 minutes
and turned it back on with no improvement.

Note: I tried to attach a video in a *.mov and *.mp4 formats but the forum won't let me.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I just noticed that the display on my 2nd SDS-200 is flickering. I have 2 SDS-200s and the old SDS-200 has no problems
with the display. Both are programed identical and I insure that in Sentinel that I had selected the SDS-200 as the target
scanner. It appears that this just started. I did shut the scanner off for about 2 minutes
and turned it back on with no improvement.

Note: I tried to attach a video in a *.mov and *.mp4 formats but the forum won't let me.
Upload it to Youtube and post the link.

But unfortunately what you are describing is not unheard of, there are other threads on here on the same topic. A repair trip is likely the only way to fix it ...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hopefully your scanners are still under warranty. If so, get it repaired ASAP. Even if it's out of warranty I would contact Uniden. Uniden continued to ship SDS200's knowing many were having this problem that should do the right thing and repair or replace them without charge.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried to reset the radio to factory defaults? ...thinking since it’s software defined, some parameters may have become corrupted... kind of like the SD cards that get altered and can’t be corrected so we replace them. The SDR however may allow for the correction simply by resetting it. Just a shot in the dark...

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
2 out of 3 have had this happen within 2 months of being new on my end (at all brightness levels). Granted they all run 24/7/365.
Both defective units replaced with new devices, replacements are now flickering... again... I've decided to live with it rather than deal with the exchange process, downtime, and have it happen again. I have mixed emotions about the SDS200 for these reasons and others.

-cognetic

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if this could be related to poor grounding of the display, same as the background noise problem? Has there been any display flickering on units that did the "good" ground fix?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
My friend returned his 200 because of flickering and then the readout started fading, he didn't want to get another lemon....

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I wonder how many of the SD200's were returned and then shipped right back out? I'm pretty certain that a reputable dealer would handle a return responsibily and do the right thing. But I wonder about someone like Walmart, Amazon etc would just ship it back out to someone else. No one wants to eat $700!

Ubbe

The flickering display looks as if the voltage to the LCD are not stable and are modulated. As the display also fade it's probably a switching power supply in the scanner that has gone bad. Or the display in itself could be of a bad quality. That depends of what the service ticket says that have been replaced on scanners that others have sent in to Uniden for that same problem.

/Ubbe

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Thats not how it works. SDR refers to how the radio can receive multiple bands by software reconfiguring the hardware vs having dedicated hardware for each band or feature.

Have you tried to reset the radio to factory defaults? ...thinking since it’s software defined, some parameters may have become corrupted... kind of like the SD cards that get altered and can’t be corrected so we replace them. The SDR however may allow for the correction simply by resetting it. Just a shot in the dark...

N2NHL

Yes, count me in as another unit with a flickering display. I've had the scanner for about a week and a half, and I noticed this problem first started occurring a couple of nights ago after I did a Favorites write to the radio. After I disconnected the USB cable, within a few minutes I started noticing the screen flicker. If I look on a 45 degree angle towards the right portion of the screen, I can see a strobing/pulsing of the the LCD back light, which in turn, appears as a wavering/pulsing/flickering when looking at the display straight on. I've wiped the SD card, started fresh including re-applying the latest firmware update. Still the problem continues, but mainly, now after the SDS200 has been operating for a couple hours or so, then it stops, then randomly starts again. I am wondering if the continued warmth of the display aggravates the grounding issue that many have provided feedback on.

The other question - without reading other threads - is how can I tell the manufacture date of the scanner from the serial number? I see that Uniden currently has a backlog to the COVID19 and their technician availability, but I am not in a proverbial hurry to get this fixed unless it dies altogether.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am wondering if the continued warmth of the display aggravates the grounding issue that many have provided feedback on.

If you bought it new and only had it a week or two I would return it for an in warranty replacement from where you purchased it.

Are you actually feeling heat or warmth from the display? If so something must be wrong. My SDS metal case and display stay room temperature at all times even when on full brightness.

N2NHL

If you bought it new and only had it a week or two I would return it for an in warranty replacement from where you purchased it.

Are you actually feeling heat or warmth from the display? If so something must be wrong. My SDS metal case and display stay room temperature at all times even when on full brightness.

Thank you for that! I kick myself for not spotting that a long time ago. Looks like I have some extensive reading ahead for all my scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.