SDS 200 GPS Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow357x2

Good morning all,
Having owned my sds200 for about a year, I noticed on a trip recently that the gps no longer receives my movements.
I have scoured the threads here and elsewhere with no solution, most likely its an human interface error.

Steps to cure the issue,
(1) cleared user data and reformatted the micro sd card.
(2) replaced the sd card
(3) set location to on
(4) replaced the original puck with the new kit (cb-gpsk)
(5) set long and lat to display on screen (no GPS) displayed
(6) test the rj11 port on the scanner and getting 3.28 vdc on positive and a good ground.
(7) test the rj11 port on the puck and getting the same as above.

Not sure if it matters but I am attaching the "profile.cfg" file for someone to look at. Had to rename it Profile.txt to meet the forum rules.

There are probably a few other things that I have tried but posting this from memory.
Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• profile.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 17

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What is your serial port setting? One of the most common problems is being at 4800 when it needs to be 9600.

Shadow357x2

Thats another thing Ive toyed with and forgot to mention.
port is set to 9600 and deg
even tried 4800 for doo-doos and grins

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
What is your serial port setting? One of the most common problems is being at 4800 when it needs to be 9600.
This. Plus I noticed when you update the scanner (favorites list, database or firmware) the baud resets to 4800.

Shadow357x2

That's because you have it set at 4800 in your profile. Change that and save.

Location tab in profile.
Not sure if that was directed towards me , but Im seeing 9600 in the profile. See attached. Am I missing something?200.JPG

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I just looked, my coordinates is DMS, yours is DEC. Switch it really quickly and see if that fixes it.

I noticed the SDS200 takes longer to recognize the puck (until it gets a lock), vs the SDS100 at least notes the GPS is attached without a lock.

Shadow357x2

I just looked, my coordinates is DMS, yours is DEC. Switch it really quickly and see if that fixes it.

I noticed the SDS200 takes longer to recognize the puck (until it gets a lock), vs the SDS100 at least notes the GPS is attached without a lock.

Tried that as well and let it simmer for awhile. Wide open view of the sky too. Still no joy. I just have the feeling its a human interface error.

Attachments

• 201.JPG
    201.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 20

ra7850

Tried that as well and let it simmer for awhile. Wide open view of the sky too. Still no joy. I just have the feeling its a human interface error.
Change the dsiplay mode on thge sccanner to simple mode. The GPS coordinates are show there without any modifications being required for the screen display.

Shadow357x2

Change the dsiplay mode on thge sccanner to simple mode. The GPS coordinates are show there without any modifications being required for the screen display.

Went through all the menus and no matter what settings that are done there is no indication that the unit is even recognizing the gps pog.
Not even the icon that used to show, lat and long will not show in the advanced menu when set to show.
Took a drive yesterday for about 2 hrs and it never recognized it.
Hook the pog and adaptor up to a bct 15x and it immediate found the pog.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Went through all the menus and no matter what settings that are done there is no indication that the unit is even recognizing the gps pog.
Not even the icon that used to show, lat and long will not show in the advanced menu when set to show.
Took a drive yesterday for about 2 hrs and it never recognized it.
Hook the pog and adaptor up to a bct 15x and it immediate found the pog.
You don't have a bent pin on the radio do you?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Good morning all,
Having owned my sds200 for about a year, I noticed on a trip recently that the gps no longer receives my movements.
I have scoured the threads here and elsewhere with no solution, most likely its an human interface error.

Steps to cure the issue,
(1) cleared user data and reformatted the micro sd card.
(2) replaced the sd card
(3) set location to on
(4) replaced the original puck with the new kit (cb-gpsk)
(5) set long and lat to display on screen (no GPS) displayed
(6) test the rj11 port on the scanner and getting 3.28 vdc on positive and a good ground.
(7) test the rj11 port on the puck and getting the same as above.

Not sure if it matters but I am attaching the "profile.cfg" file for someone to look at. Had to rename it Profile.txt to meet the forum rules.

There are probably a few other things that I have tried but posting this from memory.
Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks

A lot of presumes in my reply.

I presume you are plugged into the GPS rj11 jack on the back.
I presume you are using the 4 wire phone cable that came with the kit.
Your profile shows 9600, I presume you have verified that
The standard "simplified" display will show a white GPS indicator on the bottom if the radio detects a GPS. IF don't see that, either the GPS Puck is defective or the SDS200 wiring/chip/circuit board is defective. Having power on the power pins means nothing.
If you have your display set to show the GPS coordinates, it will show NO GPS until it receives the actual coordinates from the GPS whether there is a GPS attached or not. It is the very bottom line display of GPS or not that indicates the radio has what it believes is a GPS attached.

If you know someone else with a working GPS on their SDS200 try to swap them for a quick test if you can.

Try another 4 wire phone cable first. If that does not fix it, see if the shop where you bought the GPS kit will swap it out and/or test it. Does the swapped unit work?

If nothing works, there is an issue with the SDS200 itself.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
BTW, the Uniden SDS200 GPS is considerably less sensitive than many (most) other GPS pucks.

I have an SDS100 with the Uniden puck sitting right next to a SDS200 with a stock Uniden puck. Many times the 200 doesn't have a lock when the 100 does.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
BTW, the Uniden SDS200 GPS is considerably less sensitive than many (most) other GPS pucks.

I have an SDS100 with the Uniden puck sitting right next to a SDS200 with a stock Uniden puck. Many times the 200 doesn't have a lock when the 100 does.
Yes, the Uniden GPS Puck from the BC-SGPS kit is a little slow (maybe 20-30 seconds power on to lock), but even without a lock, the standard simplified display will show (in white) GPS on the display bottom as soon as one is plugged in and "found" by the radio.. Long before it gets a lock.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
When using multiple GPS pucks, try to keep them at least 12" apart. In the past I have had issues with mutual interference when pucks are close together. Even 12" might be pushing it, but should be far enough apart.

Ubbe

Even 12" might be pushing it, but should be far enough apart.
I've had taxi cabs needing the GPS receivers being separated more than that. Even in my own car I sometimes get no signal in the TomTom navigator when the dashcams external GPS receiver are 15" or closer. If I move the external GPS receiver some 30" away the TomTom starts to work again. So it probably depends of how well shielded the receivers are so could need bigger distances in some cases. TomTom are GPS only but my dashcam are dual GPS/Glonass so are probably more resistant.

/Ubbe

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have a Garmin Puck, a Uniden puck side by side on the top of the dash, a radar detector (with GPS) maybe 2 feet away, often the Garmin Nav. GPS is right there, then add in 2 phones and a Smartwatch. That is my usual loadout of GPS-enabled stuff. Never noticed any issue. I'd guess the only noticeable one would be the Nav. GPS or the speed readout on the radar detector.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When using multiple GPS pucks, try to keep them at least 12" apart. In the past I have had issues with mutual interference when pucks are close together. Even 12" might be pushing it, but should be far enough apart.
Some pucks generate a lot more RFI than others. I use the Reyax pucks because they don't generate any detectable RFI.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have a Garmin RV760 GPS sitting about 6" away from my BC-SGPS puck and have seen zero issues with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.