SDS-200 hum, no hum, ho hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfp237

Here’s my 2 cents.

i got my SDS200 about the time you did, At first I didn’t notice any hum. After a few days I did. I’m sure it was there from the start, but I just didn’t notice it because it is not very loud and I have to be within 2 feet of the unit in a very quit room to hear it. TV, an air conditioner or outside noise will mask it. But because I knew it was there, it drove me crazy.

I spent days trying to find a way to eliminate it . The audio off time feature does, but only when there is no transmition and the hum coming and going was just as annoying. I finally found a solution. I took the SDS200 out of the bracket and put it on a 1/4 inch neoprene mouse pad. The small rubber feet for the bracket are on the unit instead, so the is a small gap between the speaker and pad. I can’t here the hum at all.

I’m convinced that it is an amplifier issue that all units have to some degree. With some it may be so minor that people don’t hear it at all. With others, it depends on whether it is in a room or vehicle and, if it’s in a room, the level of room noise, the surface it sits on and how good your hearing is. (I could even hear a hum on my old BCD996XT if I pressed my ear to the speaker, but it is clearly not the issue it is on my SDS200.)

So checked to see if any of the variables I mentioned make a difference.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Now you guys got me thinking I should just bite the bullet and do the permanent fix to my 200. I have a very little "hum" that I can hear if the room is quiet and I'm near to the external speaker I use. It wasn't so bad that I figured I'd leave well enough alone. But if doing the fix could eliminate the possibility of the screen issues maybe I should just go for it.

I feel that the bad grounding will eventually contribute to more than just the humming. I've done 3 SDS200 fixes and they all sounded significantly better and never had any screen issues arise. If you end up sending yours in for a screen problem, Uniden is just going to send it back with the screen fixed and another mitigation device in place.

vanhalo

I permanently installed it in my Jeep. I never heard the hum again.
I have enjoyed having it mounted under my seat and flipping it on daily to hear the local HAM spit and spattle.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I permanently installed it in my Jeep. I never heard the hum again.
I have enjoyed having it mounted under my seat and flipping it on daily to hear the local HAM spit and spattle.
If that is all you listen to a 2 meter 440 radio would have been a whole lot cheaper

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Mine is coming up on three weeks after purchase and no issues. I am concerned about the potential for screen flicker, but time will tell.

vanhalo

If that is all you listen to a 2 meter 440 radio would have been a whole lot cheaper

It's more common that a long conversation will be on those frequencies but i have it scanning everything else that interests me.

Status
Not open for further replies.