SDS 200 ID Scan VS ID Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

Would someone please explain the differences between these two searches. Would I need to assign scan or search within each of my FL lists or perhaps I can toggle ?
How can I toggle if needs to?
Thanks,

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Would someone please explain the differences between these two searches. Would I need to assign scan or search within each of my FL lists or perhaps I can toggle ?
How can I toggle if needs to?
Thanks,

If have scan mode it will only scan what ever have in the FL it will not look for new TG. Search Id will pick up new Talkgroups.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
ID Search On or Off is set in each System. You may have multiple Systems within each Favorites List, some of which may have ID Search On, some of which may have ID Search Off.

ID Search is there to discover "new" or not included somewhere, TGIDs within a system. When it finds one, the TGID is displayed and you hear the conversation. There is a caveat not mentioned above. You may actually have already found a given TGID, but have locked it out or Avoided it some way. In this scenario, the scanner will ignore the subsequent instances of the TGID.

So the scenario of "I know there is a new talkgroup on this system, I've searched for it, but can't find it. What's up with that?" is possible under those conditions.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Forgive me for digging up an old thread, but I'd rather not waste room on the page by starting a duplicate.

I know what the difference between ID Search and ID Scan mode is, but I am having some issues with getting it set up correctly.

Is there a way to have it ID Search on a range of frequencies that exist so I can hopefully find some new active frequencies?

While the only version of my state's PD that works from home is a custom Favorite's list that someone made me (don't ask why the full database version doesn't work, all I know is the working custom list has only the control channel for each set programmed) I would HOPE that if my unit is just ID Searching through a range of frequencies it might pick up a few new active ones. I know there are at least 3 or 4 that are being tested as I have seen them on other people's lists and what not.

Thanks

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the state police system is so large that in order to scan every TG you’d need to split it in half and program the system twice, each with half of the TG’s. I believe the scanner can only accommodate a certain number of TG’s and if the system is larger... you get the idea. The control channels allow the scanner to scan through the system quicker without missing any TG’s you have active, which is a plus when you have other large systems and/or conventional frequencies included in your active scanning.

So, I gather you haven’t tried to search between two frequencies yet... give it a try and see what you get for ID’s, if that’s what you are asking. I haven’t tried to see if this is correct but it wouldn’t surprise me if it does show the ID’s. I reason the scanner should show the ID when you are searching between two frequencies. Let us know your results.

And as usual, any corrections to the above is welcomed. Please point out any discrepancies here so I can correct them.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I know what the difference between ID Search and ID Scan mode is, but I am having some issues with getting it set up correctly.

Is there a way to have it ID Search on a range of frequencies that exist so I can hopefully find some new active frequencies?

ID Search applies to talkgroups not frequencies. Are you looking for new control channel frequencies, such as what you might find with a new site, or is your state's system a conventional (not trunked) system?

Your location is not shown so it's hard to answer your question. Otherwise I could have seen what kind of system is in use.

There could be many reasons why your full database isn't working or working as well as the custom Favorites List. Your location could have been entered incorrectly, Service Type selections aren't enabled, etc. Some of those things are negated with a Favorites List. You should check threads with the subject of "Nothing to Scan" as they may offer hints for you.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
ID Search applies to talkgroups not frequencies. Are you looking for new control channel frequencies, such as what you might find with a new site, or is your state's system a conventional (not trunked) system?

Your location is not shown so it's hard to answer your question. Otherwise I could have seen what kind of system is in use.

There could be many reasons why your full database isn't working or working as well as the custom Favorites List. Your location could have been entered incorrectly, Service Type selections aren't enabled, etc. Some of those things are negated with a Favorites List. You should check threads with the subject of "Nothing to Scan" as they may offer hints for you.

The full database not working is a completely separate issue that I covered in the Connecticut forum a while back.

For this thread though I was asking about how to have it just search through frequencies in the event one or more are in use. Like, have it search through a range and if anything is active it will stop on it and then I can mark it and add it to a custom FL later on.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
ID Search and searching through frequencies are two completely different operations.
Is there a tutorial for how to set it up to scan through frequencies in the manner I'm trying to?

I know what the state PD frequency range is, but I don't know all of the new talkgroup IDs that are popping up. So I'd like to save them if I can.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Again the question is does your state police use a trunked system or conventional system?

You are talking two entirely different animals - searching for talkgroups is ID Search, searching for frequencies is something else. You can configure a search for frequencies in the profile section of Sentinel in addition to that mentioned above.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Ok, now we are in business. If the scanner is in ID Search, it is looking for talkgroups (TGIDs) that are not already programmed in the scanner. In other words new ones, which you mention. It's possible that a TGID you have in mind as being "new" could already be in the scanner, however it is avoided some way or another (Department, Channel or Location type of avoid). If that is the case, the scanner would pass it over, should it be found during a search. The reasoning is that it is there, but is avoided, so why show it, that kind of thing.

Hopefully you have a good database administrator that can do the updates when they are passed on, which is the key to all of this working.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Nerp, if you have a TGID programmed in with an ID tag, it can, and most of the time will, still populate that TG as the TG number, or as the TG tag, while in search.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Nerp, if you have a TGID programmed in with an ID tag, it can, and most of the time will, still populate that TG as the TG number, or as the TG tag, while in search.

I might not have explained myself well.

When ID Searching (ID Search ON) and the scanner receives a TGID, the scanner checks to see if the TGID is already programmed. There are three scenarios:

1. If the TGID is already programmed, but the TGID is Avoided, or the TGID is in a Department that is Avoided, or if the TGID is in a Department that is off due to being Out of Range, the scanner "moves along" and does not display anything, nor is any audio present.

2. If the TGID is already programmed and NOT Avoided as described above, the scanner will display the TGID and any associated Alpha Tag.and the audio will unmute and you will hear the transmission.

3. If the TGID is NOT already programmed, the scanner will display "TGID: xxxx" where xxxx is the number of the talkgroup and the audio will unmute and you will hear the transmission.

Exception: any talkgroups that are encrypted - the scanner will "move along".

(I have just verified this on my scanner. Actually found some new talkgroups :) They were listed as future talkgroups on an old spreadsheet I had for the local system - guess they have become operational.)

Status
Not open for further replies.