SDS 200 in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmich52

1 realizes that the SDS 200 has just come out, But I wanted to get a thread going on this, Pro/con

I keep in mind that I started a thread about the SDS 100 in CT & other than the price, The feedback I received, also national comment kept me from purchasing the SDS 100, due 2 the numerous issues posted

I monitor Hartford & Tolland county, But all comments are welcome from the CT listening community

I REALLY want 2 purchase The SDS 200, BUT Since I got burned on my 436 as a 1st adopter, 1 is reluctant to step forward again

In my book, word of mouth is the best business card 4 better or worse

Looking forward to the comments

6079smithw

I'd like one too but I think I'll wait a few months for Uni to discover and swat whatever bugs happen to turn up. If you've ever bought a first-production new car you know what I'm talking about. Plus there's always the chance they will cost less over time... Just my $0.02
(Originally from New Britain, live in NV now.:))

leadjammer

What is so special about this scanner that makes it so pricey? The HP436 was also the next best thing when it debuted and in my opinion gets the worst analog reception of any Uniden scanner I've ever owned. With listenable police departments dropping like flies due to encryption, not sure any scanner is worth this much money.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The 436 was the first time that I didn't buy an initial release of a Uniden scanner in a very long time. From the 210 all through the Home Patrol, I bought the newest radios. However, the Home Patrol (1), for me, was such a waste of money that I became very leery of jumping in so fast. I did cave in and bought a 536 when they were released only to have to remove it from my truck because it didn't like the starting while being on. If I get a scanner that is advertised as a base/mobile, I shouldn't need to turn it off before I shut off my vehicle then turn it on again after I start it up. My 996XTs and 996P2 have had the power cycled thousand of times. Memory isn't corrupted.
The newer scanners have very poor search functions where Quick Keys cannot be assigned to a search range like the 996 line. Also, it still doesn't properly work on certain digital systems and there is no one answering questions or soliciting input to correct it. And last, I am not someone who relies on the RR database dump to generate scan lists. So the "feature" of zip code scanning is worthless to me.
Unfortunately, if there is still a beta tester in this area, they are not one of the more active ones (or I suppose it could be that Uniden is not fixing what is being brought to them). If they were, perhaps the ESPN system and the Marcus system would be monitorable.

So, do I spend $800+ to get another radio and risk the same outcome?
Eventually, I will probably buy one. Am I thinking it will be so good that I will be looking to replace the 20+ 996 series radios that I run now? Not from what I can see from the 436, 536, HP2, and SDS200.

chris

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The big question is does the SDS 200 or for that matter the 100 work on the Connecticut State Police after the new firmware update containing the new filters. It's well-established that they're supposed to be no difference between the SDS 100 or the 200.

Is there anyone with an SDS 100 or 200 that updated the firmware and are using the new filters able to pick up the Connecticut State Police better than they were before?... thanks.

jfr454

I bought the 100 the day it was available and not sure waiting would have made a difference. Uniden has been really good about trying to fix problems. (IMHO) and current improvements seem to have a positive result. I am holding off on the 200 as I don't need another toy and it has almost identical features to the 100. The 996P2 and 396XT are still my favorites.

Now to trentbob's question. Quick answer is yes the latest upgrades seem to pick up CSP better. But, I have never had trouble picking up either system on many different scanners. Both mobile and stationary setups. CSP tracks and sounds very good on the 100 even before the latest firmware. I know many have expressed difficulties but I have not experienced them. I am centrally located in CT.

My big complaint is the way the 100 handles my local PD. (conventional 800mhz with P25 voice) It misses many transmissions but more frustrating is that it tends to miss or open too late to catch the reply. In same town both stationary & driving around, all different filter settings, same result. (Invert seems to work the best) I really like the scanner and when it receives well it sounds great. The scratchy sound on conventional and weak signals is quite annoying as it overpowers the audio.
Thanks, John.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thank you John for your reply... Bob.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, no... It has nothing to do with the different reaction from the radio you get from unreceivable encrypted Transmissions. I'm curious about the few talk groups that can't be picked up even though older units get them clearly now. I'm asking for a friend and don't monitor the system but... I want to know if this update with the new normal or inverted filters allow these few talk groups caught up in the transition of the system can be picked up on the Connecticut State Police after the new firmware update. There are a handful of you out there that know what I'm talkin about.I'm not from the area but I have a long time very extensive experience here, thanks in advance guys. ... Bob.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
The big question is does the SDS 200 or for that matter the 100 work on the Connecticut State Police after the new firmware update containing the new filters. It's well-established that they're supposed to be no difference between the SDS 100 or the 200.

Is there anyone with an SDS 100 or 200 that updated the firmware and are using the new filters able to pick up the Connecticut State Police better than they were before?... thanks.
I always had a problem with the Western District with my 436 and 536. CSP has been much better with the SDS, and I did not notice a change with the firmware, but as the other poster said, CSP has been fantastic on the SDS100

Bob1955

I'd like one too but I think I'll wait a few months for Uni to discover and swat whatever bugs happen to turn up. If you've ever bought a first-production new car you know what I'm talking about. Plus there's always the chance they will cost less over time... Just my $0.02
(Originally from New Britain, live in NV now.:))
You are 100% right here!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I am happy to hear that a couple people near me seem to be having better luck with these later run sds100 , and possibly sds100, units.

I am still going to hold off though. I applaud the vendor where I bought my sds100 for being responsive and helpful during the return process, but I'm not waiting up at night to get another one just yet.

Bob1955

I am happy to hear that a couple people near me seem to be having better luck with these later run sds100 , and possibly sds100, units.

I am still going to hold off though. I applaud the vendor where I bought my sds100 for being responsive and helpful during the return process, but I'm not waiting up at night to get another one just yet.
You are a smart woman, darkness. That scanner looks so ridiculous with the huge battery pack sticking out the rear. It has some issues such as poor VHF/UHF sensitivity and I have heard poor audio from some users. I myself would NOT spend $649.95 on a handheld scanner but I must say that Uniden America Corp. did a nice job designing this scanner. The price will drop but probably not for another year or so. Hope you have a nice week darkness975!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
SDS100 and SDS200 may yet prove to be great after the kinks are worked out and I'm hopeful for that.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

Since I wasn’t having a problem hearing CSP prior to the FW updates, I noticed no difference after the updates were installed. Therefore, the filter settings are just another option I don’t need or use. However, they ARE another tool in my toolbox I might have need of when I’m on vacation. I have both the 100 & 200. As yet, I’ve not deliberately tried to improve signal quality by tuning in a weaker station I don’t normally listen to but have asked others for what they have found as “optimum” settings. So far, I’ve seen one suggestion to use “ Auto” in the “Global “ setting.

As far as the two SDS’s and Connecticut is concerned, I have not heard complaints about simulcast with the BCDx36HP’s. (If the primary reason for the SDS’s was the use of SDR in an effort to combat simulcast, I’ve never seen a need for it in Ct.) And I don’t mean to say others in Ct. ARENT having problems WITH SIMULCAST on the CSP system, I’m just saying I haven’t heard it’s a problem.

So, what is my reason for getting both SDS’s? These two radios are my swan song. With encryption costing literally nothing when included in a new LMR system and the advent of FirstNet, which will offer Mission Critical PTT over cell (encryption is the only flavor it’s offered in), listening to PD and FD will become a thing of the past. Besides, I love the color display!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.