sds 200- mass storage

xraymo3

Premium Subscriber
I have not logged into sentinel in quite some time, I need to avoid some channels, but I cannot get into my storage on my scanner. It never shows the screen to hit E, I have tried to hit E regargless, and nothing. I have tried several different cords. Please tell me i am a moron and am doing something wrong

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
A couple of things.....

You ARE using the FRONT port, right?

Try another port on your computer (you may see a yellow triangle in Device Manager on the port giving you trouble?)
Not on a hub - try one on the computer itself.

Look very closely at the USB port on the radio. I have had to send 3 radios off to Uniden over the years because of bent pins.
All were 436s or 100s, but it certainly is a possibility on a 200 also (a USB port is a USB port).

Is the cord you are using one that worked before?
Possible it may be a charging only cord, so try every one you have, or borrow one.

xraymo3

Premium Subscriber
yes, using the micro usb port. same cord as I used before. I have also already tried every port on my computer. The pins look good, i checked all that. Guess I will go buy a new cord and see if that does the trick, or just continue to hit avoid on my scanner everyday. :cautious:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I'd want to figure out why this is happening.
Anyone you know have a computer with Sentinel on it?
Or, have another computer you can install it on?

It'd eliminate the computer side of this and then it's either the radio, or the cord.

AA4BK

Sometimes my pc won't recognize sds200 Sometimes I have plugged the USB in before turning on the pc and other times after the pc has booted up

That sounds like a bad cable. Try another cable.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you haven't already, try powering down both your computer and scanner, the re-start both. That may clear any hardware conflicts.

The front ports on scanners can go bad and need to be replaced, unfortunately.

If you have a card reader on your computer and the adapter to go from SD to Micro SD, you can remove the SD card and insert the card into the card reader. That will get you going in a pinch.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The front ports on scanners can go bad and need to be replaced, unfortunately.

Just another reason why @ProScan software is the best. With Proscan, the scanner can be programmed via LAN or WiFi. In the year and a half I have had my 200, I think the usb cable has been used like 5 times.

Yeah, Sentinel is needed for profile edits and display customization. But in reality all that stuff can be done on the scanner itself.

I do keep the usb cable near because maybe, just maybe, one day Uniden might actually put out a firmware update. And seeing how the last update was 6 29 22, I its been just about 7 months since my usb cable has been plugged in.

brcoz

Premium Subscriber
Do you use the same USB port every time? Each USB port has a COM number and the software looks for the one it was setup with.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Do you use the same USB port every time? Each USB port has a COM number and the software looks for the one it was setup with.
-
The mass storage mode does not use a COM port. "Mass Storage" mode treats the scanner as a mass storage device connected by USB, just like an external drive. No serial COM ports are involved.

When connected in mass storage mode, the scanner's SD card will be listed under "Disk Drives" in the Windows Device Manager along with the other drives in the computer.

If a COM port is showing for the scanner in Windows Device Manager, the scanner has been put in "Serial Mode", and won't be able to communicate with Sentinel.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I would add: Does Device Manager show anything new/different/odd?