SDS 200 remote via tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Todays cars and some trucks have no under dash space to mount any kind of radio much less a scanner. A small tablet on a gooseneck would make an excellent remote control head. How do we make this work? Is there a fix out there? Is this even possible?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
The SDS 200 has an ethernet port. ProScan will remote control an SDS 200 via Ethernet.

The trick would be to set up a LAN in the car to connect the two.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
While waiting for a remote head...I've done just that. I have my two SDS200's virtually appear on a tablet. It works but not ideal....no way to enlarge display on Proscan so very hard to impossible to manipulate the knobs while driving. But it is better than nothing and at least you have a display to see who is talking. I connected the two scanners to a wireless lan and connect to the wireless lan with the tablet. I'm currently using an HP Stream tablet but looking for something maybe a little bigger.

But I'm still hoping that a remote head - as described in the Uniden Tavern several months ago and being worked on now (hopefully!!) will be out in the near future!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
While waiting for a remote head...I've done just that. I have my two SDS200's virtually appear on a tablet. It works but not ideal....no way to enlarge display on Proscan so very hard to impossible to manipulate the knobs while driving. But it is better than nothing and at least you have a display to see who is talking. I connected the two scanners to a wireless lan and connect to the wireless lan with the tablet. I'm currently using an HP Stream tablet but looking for something maybe a little bigger.

But I'm still hoping that a remote head - as described in the Uniden Tavern several months ago and being worked on now (hopefully!!) will be out in the near future!
Try turning on the Web Server feature then use a Web Browser on the same device. That way the Web Browser can increase the size of the virtual scanner.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Todays cars and some trucks have no under dash space to mount any kind of radio much less a scanner. A small tablet on a gooseneck would make an excellent remote control head. How do we make this work? Is there a fix out there? Is this even possible?
My SDS200 is mounted on top of the dash, center stack on my F150. Doesn't interfere with airbag deployment, and the display can be read except in bright sunlight (no true daylight readable display.)

Mofo84

I miss the real knobs when using a phone or tablet....also 17 second delay from audio stream on my end. I just ended up getting a sds100 for on the go and left the sds200 at home.

WRJI737

Is there a reason that the enlarge window icon can't be activated for full screen use on a tablet/winbook? After all the time I just spent to find a winbook (tw801), figure out the serial drivers, and get everything running, it's a major bummer to find I can't see or use the dang micro virtual scanner. I'm running the SDS100, and I'd prefer not to have to figure out Web Server/Metadata/Audio setup...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
On an Ipad mini... Using the chrome browser zoomed in... About a 5 second delay from actual radio...
Unless you can load ProScan on the tablet for car use... Won't be able to do it... Meaning windows based tablet or laptop...

Ipad Scanner.JPG

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Is there a reason that the enlarge window icon can't be activated for full screen use on a tablet/winbook? After all the time I just spent to find a winbook (tw801), figure out the serial drivers, and get everything running, it's a major bummer to find I can't see or use the dang micro virtual scanner. I'm running the SDS100, and I'd prefer not to have to figure out Web Server/Metadata/Audio setup...

If your using ProScan... It's not hard to set the web server up at all...
But with the SDS100 you have to use the headphone jack to feed the audio...
And that means a ground loop isolater in the headphone line...

Status
Not open for further replies.