SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Well...I wouldn't return or modify my scanner in any way. Uniden engineering works in mysterious ways...lol!:unsure::cool:

byndhlptom

"I wonder why some things like this is not caught by the Beta Testers?"

Often beta tests are done with a preproduction runs of parts, usually built by the engineering staff. Production units are built by the manufacturer, two different groups, locations and often different instructions...... Engineering staff may also be influenced by previous builds and "best practices experiences" that the manufacturer may not have.

$.02

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I’ll get another one at some point, it was a nice scanner, except for the hum, and the poorly lit keypad lights on both of them. Tried.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

milcom_chaser

A speaker are a huge coil, a lot of impedance that needs to be kept under control from the very low impedance from the amplifier. Put a 2.2 ohm resistor over the speaker to have better control over it or it will have a less distinct sound and are more difficult to hear what's actually being said. Always try to use as low resistor value as possible in series with a speaker and add a lower values in parallell with the speaker to reduce its volume.

/Ubbe
That's great, yet in a solid state amplifier IC, you may pull too much current doing that. Basic ohms law.

RFI-EMI-GUY

When I set my avoid list and have it scanning just my local area, the noise is even more intense with a rapid repeating sequence. Hope that makes sense, but I'm only scanning 4 departments. Of course, it scans that rapidly and there is like a little tempo going on. The headphone jack is quiet as a mouse.

beep beep beep... boop boop... beep beep beep... boop boop....lol, get the point? Make a good electronic warfare broadcast.
You guys would have had fits with the 1980' Bearcat 200LX or the later Recency MX3000 made by AOR. Plenty of buzzes and squeaks.

My ICOM R7000 and R9000 sound perfect. But then again, they aren't "scanners".

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

tkowalik

Banned
UPMan just posted an acknowledgement of this issue in a new thread.

I’ve been on vacation so haven’t been keeping up until today but it was refreshing to see UPMan’s post acknowledging the problem and Uniden working toward a fix. I firmly believed they would.

Let’s sit tight and wait for the official fix. Hopefully our work as a scanning community helped steer them in a direction which could be why it sounds like it’s being fixed incredibly soon. At the end of the day, 2 weeks since my delivery (I know others got it sooner) and to identify a problem of that nature and come up with a solution is incredible.

Thanks UPMan, Uniden, and everyone else who has helped on this issue! That’s what the community is all about!

epilab

Premium Subscriber
Hum !!!!
Just received my sds200. And it has the speaker hum. Requesting advice from supplier.
This is my second unit. Had local reception issues with the first and returned for credit.
Second ordered from different source to eliminate a potential batch issues, but now a totally different problem

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hum !!!!
Just received my sds200. And it has the speaker hum. Requesting advice from supplier.
This is my second unit. Had local reception issues with the first and returned for credit.
Second ordered from different source to eliminate a potential batch issues, but now a totally different problem

Either return it if you are not satisfied, or wait for the solution from Uniden. According to their products guy, there will be a repair procedure published "soon" that an owner can perform to fix the issue. If you aren't the mechanical type, you have the option to send it in for repair under warranty.

epilab

Premium Subscriber
Either return it if you are not satisfied, or wait for the solution from Uniden. According to their products guy, there will be a repair procedure published "soon" that an owner can perform to fix the issue. If you aren't the mechanical type, you have the option to send it in for repair under warranty.

Resolution to this hum is as you wrote

But my post was to just present the observation of there may be other issues lurking
Myself, I will await seeing the factory fix before any action

radio3353

According to their products guy, there will be a repair procedure published "soon" that an owner can perform to fix the issue.

Not so fast! I think the question about the owner performing the repair is still open (because it would void the warranty.)

allend

Premium Subscriber
Listen in at 9 minutes and 30 seconds. This guy is reviewing the SDS-200 radio and plugged in an external speaker. Nasty Nasty Nasty noise

13 minutes into the video it is horrible. The writing is all over the wall. This is exactly what I was hearing from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.