SDS 200 vs. 536

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I run both a 200 and a 536 at my home. I find them very comparable even with Macomb County, Michigan's simulcast on MPSCS. It's something somewhat unique for my area that almost all P25 scanners do well for me. Same with both VHF and UHF aircraft bands.

It's really difficult to compare 100% as they're never synchronized and one my catch a new signal while it's still on another, so it may appear at times one if missing the other when it really isn't. It was just still actively tied up on a previous signal on a different frequency.

IE:
SDS200 is receiving a signal on 119.00000 MHz for: ........ |------------------------------| 30 secs
BCD536 is receiving a signal on 254.7000 MHz for: |------------------------------------------------------------| 60 secs

The BCD536 will miss a hit on 119.0000 MHz because it was tied up on 254.7000 earlier and longer than the SDS200 and so on. Does that make sense?

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I sold my 536 to a friend but when I had both the 536 and the 200 I couldn't tell a difference on the Wayne County, Michigan simulcast site for MPSCS, they both did good. I don't know if this is because I only receive one tower at my location or if there is another reason the 536 didn't have trouble with this simulcast site. My friend is not in a simulcast area so I can't ask him about his experience. Both scanners were equal on the Northville site which is not simulcast. I did notice that they didn't always go to the same voice channel at the same time. There is a lot of traffic on both of these sites so I just assumed the scanners would switch to different voice channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.