SDS 200 vs. SDS 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

minasha

It is well known that the SDS 100 audio quality is very tinny on VHF and UHF analog channels.
Can anyone tell me if the audio quality on an SDS 200 monitoring those same channels has better sounding audio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The audio quality is limited by the speaker size you can fit into the SDS100 case, and has nothing to do with digital/analog RF signal format. If you use good headphones or external speaker, the SDS100 audio has plenty of bass.

The SDS200 has a larger speaker than the one in the SDS100 which has better low-frequency response.

minasha

The audio quality is limited by the speaker size you can fit into the SDS100 case, and has nothing to do with digital/analog RF signal format. If you use good headphones or external speaker, the SDS100 audio has plenty of bass.

The SDS200 has a larger speaker than the one in the SDS100 which has better low-frequency response.
I cannot agree with you on this because on the SDS 100 the digital systems all sound very clear with good audio quality, but the analog vhf and uhf sound like a transistor radio from the 1950's. If it was just the speaker size then the digital systems would sound just as poor. Besides the same size speaker is used in the 436, 396 t and xt and all of them sound great on analog. This is a problem with the design of the SDS 100 and I want to know if the sds 200 sounds better because I am thinking about buying one.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
Only my opinion, But i thought the 200 speaker sounded muffled...I bought me an external speaker for my SDS 200

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I cannot agree with you on this because on the SDS 100 the digital systems all sound very clear with good audio quality, but the analog vhf and uhf sound like a transistor radio from the 1950's. If it was just the speaker size then the digital systems would sound just as poor. Besides the same size speaker is used in the 436, 396 t and xt and all of them sound great on analog.
Nope, because the low frequency cutoff for digital audio is about 100Hz, and the cutoff for analog is about 300Hz (100-300Hz is used for DCS and CTCSS tones). So they aren't going to match tonally because of the difference in audio frequency range. The speaker in the SDS100 has a little less low-frequency response compared to the 436 because of its waterproof design, so the already-tinny analog audio sounds even more so because of the speaker.

But if you use high-end headphones, there's essentially zero difference between the SDS100 and 436 audio.

Ubbe

SDS100 sounds great using any external speaker in both analog and digital, so have nothing to do with the audio circuits, it's just a speaker problem.

/Ubbe

minasha

Nope, because the low frequency cutoff for digital audio is about 100Hz, and the cutoff for analog is about 300Hz (100-300Hz is used for DCS and CTCSS tones). So they aren't going to match tonally because of the difference in audio frequency range. The speaker in the SDS100 has a little less low-frequency response compared to the 436 because of its waterproof design, so the already-tinny analog audio sounds even more so because of the speaker.

But if you use high-end headphones, there's essentially zero difference between the SDS100 and 436 audio.
Thanks good info on the frequency response of the 100
I am getting interested in getting a 200 because I assume the audio is better with it's larger speaker
and I can use the Uniden siren app to receive my channels on my cell phone eliminating the need for a portable scanner.
Have you heard the audio on the 200 is it clearer

minasha

SDS100 sounds great using any external speaker in both analog and digital, so have nothing to do with the audio circuits, it's just a speaker problem.

/Ubbe
So if I replace the speaker in the 100 with a new speaker from a 436 my analog on the 100 will sound the same as it does on the 436?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have you heard the audio on the 200 is it clearer

I have the 200 and the 100. The 200 speaker has more bass response, enough that some people consider it too much, and say digital sounds "muddy". If more bass is your preference, you'll like the 200's audio over the 100.

So if I replace the speaker in the 100 with a new speaker from a 436 my analog on the 100 will sound the same as it does on the 436?

Yes, except that it won't fit. But if you connect the SDS100 and the 436 to the same model of external speaker they will sound pretty much identical. The same goes for the SDS200. The audio going to the speaker is consistent between models, the only real difference is the speaker playing the audio.

blackbelter

Per my previous posts, the audio from my 436 ,using the professional grade amplified Klien valor shoulder speaker is Amazing. I seldom have to increase the 436 volume higher than one click.

Status
Not open for further replies.