SDS 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Did you lower the range on the 200? It needs to be large enough to encompass what you’re trying to listen to.

Ubbe

He copied his 536 setup, with the same range setting and location controlled scanning, if enabled, and all. The two scanners should have identical setups. The additional NAC gets set to search as default, so that the received value can be displayed, so that cannot interfere with reception.
It could be a severe case of interference that needs tweaking of the filter settings and IFX to get it running, if the interference isn't too bad.

Configure the display to show D-error and Noise level and push the system hold button when the SDS200 are on the same system that the 536 are able to receive. After two seconds it will beep and lock to the system. Then push the Fn button and the Dept button will change to Site so push that Site button to lock on to a site. Wait two second for the beep and push Fn and Site again and immeditaly begin scroll thru the sites and look at the RSSI for any signal and D-error higher than 5 for interference and Noise higher than 500 are also an indication for interference. Set the squelch to level 2. When you wait longer than 2 sec on a site you will need to push that Fn+Site buttons again to be able to scroll thru the sites again.

Push Fn+Site and wait 2 sec and the hold will release. Push on the System button and immediatly scroll to go to other systems.

/Ubbe

twotoejoe

Do this with the SDS200 to verify the DMR Upgrade is enabled: Press the Squelch knob to enter Menu > Settings > E > Upgrade > E > Upgrade DMR/MotoTRBO > E. It will tell you if the DMR Upgrade is activated. If it asks to enter the key, it is not activated. Press AVOID to exit menus.

That's one thing I checked first. DMR upgrade is there.

twotoejoe

OK, here is what I have done and the results:

I took the 536 out of my truck. I downloaded Sentinel in to BOTH scanners, identical expect I changed the 'Target Model' to the correct scanner.

I have them sitting side by side, both with the telescopic antennas. I've had them running since 4:30 pm and have heard ONLY ONE transmisson on the 200 (Air Flight Helicopter). Meanwhile the 536 has been going wild with transmissions from my local DMR system and local analog. Now here's the kicker. When I plug the 200 into my Tram 1410 outside antenna, it performs about equal to the 536.

Any ideas? Surely the 200 should equal the 536 but doesn't in my case.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is ATT showing on the SDS200 display? There may be a plug from the antenna connector to the circuit board inside the scanner. Considering the sensitivity problem, you may want to remove the cover and see if the plug exists and is fully seated.

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
From the SDS 200 User Manual.
"In Channel hold mode, press PUSH/FUNC then hold the "4" key for 3 seconds to toggle global attenuation on/off."
It can also be turned on and off through the menu system.

twotoejoe

I turned them off and reprogrammed the 200. No G-ATT in the display now. I did pick up GSP now, which I hadn't before, but still the 536 is picking up 10 to one on my local DMR sites. I haven't reprogrammed the 536, it shows ATT on the display.

What I don't understand is that both were programmed with the same Sentinel Favorites List and settings.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is ATT showing on the SDS200 display? There may be a plug from the antenna connector to the circuit board inside the scanner. Considering the sensitivity problem, you may want to remove the cover and see if the plug exists and is fully seated.

You read this response before I added to it. It sounds like your SDS200 may still have a sensitivity problem. You may want to check the above instructions. A number of the Uniden scanners have a plug from the antenna connector to the circuit board and there have been reports of the plug coming loose.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Separate antennas in different locations indoors is not a meaningful test. A BNC T connector is not ideal, but at least it will feed the same signal to each radio.

Enable Detailed display mode on the SDS200, and let us know what RSSI and Noise values youy're getting on the SDS200.

Ubbe

I haven't reprogrammed the 536, it shows ATT on the display.
If you need to use Att with the 536 to make it work then the SDS200 will have problems as that hasn't as good receiver as your 536 and are more interference prone. If the SDS200s different filter settings doesn't help then you probably would need an external filter, what kind depends of where the interferencies comes from. Any strong interferencies entering your SDS200 will make it reduce it's gain and it will receive less compared to what another scanner will do.

/Ubbe

twotoejoe

Separate antennas in different locations indoors is not a meaningful test. A BNC T connector is not ideal, but at least it will feed the same signal to each radio.

Enable Detailed display mode on the SDS200, and let us know what RSSI and Noise values youy're getting on the SDS200.

The radios are sitting side by side and both have the original telescopic antennas raised to the same length. RSSI=96dbi

twotoejoe

It was suggested that I place both scanners on 'Channel Hold' to see how that worked. At first the 200 was missing some transmissions while the 536 was picking them up. Then the 200 was missing one side of the transmission but picked up the other side while the 536 was picking up both sides. Now the 200 seems to be picking up everything the 536 does with the exception of the very infrequently one side of the conversation.

But when I went back to regular scanning, the 200 has only picked up 1 out of about 20 transmissions from the GSP (Georgia State Patrol) frequencies.

Again, both were programmed with the same Favorites LIsts and settings thru Sentinel. I'm buffaloed!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The radios are sitting side by side and both have the original telescopic antennas raised to the same length. RSSI=96dbi
That doesn't guarantee they are getting the same signal, especially if simulcast is involved. Out-of-phase reflections, interactions between antenna elements, etc all can spoil a comparison. Sometimes RFI from one radio can interfere with the other. The only valid comparison test is to have a single antenna and split the signal with a splitter or multicoupler.

twotoejoe

That doesn't guarantee they are getting the same signal, especially if simulcast is involved. Out-of-phase reflections, interactions between antenna elements, etc all can spoil a comparison. Sometimes RFI from one radio can interfere with the other. The only valid comparison test is to have a single antenna and split the signal with a splitter or multicoupler.

Understood. Just seems like the 200 is not quite as good as the 536 in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.