Sds 200

mjbjr

Premium Subscriber
My last scanner was a pro197 and loved it. Now my area and surrounding areas have gone encrypted. Macon ga and Warner robins GA are the areas. Is updating this and programming it easy for a noob? Otherwise I have to pay for it upfront and that adds up quickly on top of the already high price tag

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
My last scanner was a pro197 and loved it. Now my area and surrounding areas have gone encrypted. Macon ga and Warner robins GA are the areas. Is updating this and programming it easy for a noob? Otherwise I have to pay for it upfront and that adds up quickly on top of the already high price tag
If they are encrypted how will getting a SDS200 make a difference?

bearcatrp

If you do get a SDS200, start using the zip code scanning method until you’re ready to do favorites. But as mentioned above, if your entire PD and county are encrypted, don’t waste your money buying a scanner as no scanner made today can listen to encrypted frequencies.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
What about these? Is this something I need or do myself?
You can purchase the DMR / NXDN upgrades later on if you end up wanting or needing them. They can be purchased for less from Uniden than from resellers. Waterfall upgrade as well - if it becomes of interest.

Basically though, you need none of these things right off the bat, unless it's of interest.

tvengr

Well Known Member
What about these? Is this something I need or do myself?
You can enter the upgrades yourself. It is less expensive than having a dealer do it. The upgrades already reside in the firmware of the scanners. You just need to login to my.uniden.com and register your scanner to purchase the keys to enable them. ProVoice is at end of life. If you don't have any EDACS systems using ProVoice in your area you want to receive, it is a waste of money.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I see only 1 EDACS trunked system in the entire state of Georgia and that one is analog audio. It does not have any ProVoice digital talkgroups. In fact, that system has only one analog talkgroup left. The SDS200 can receive EDACS analog without the ProVoice upgrade.

Last edited:

mjbjr

Premium Subscriber

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Looking at the given link above, some of that is encrypted (it has an 'E' in the mode) and some of it is D (Phase 1). No scanner can handle encryption, but a SDS scanner can handle both the 'T' (phase 2) and 'D'. A 197 could not handle anything with a 'T' in the mode. According to the listing that system is simulcast which is why the 197 would struggle with it, depending on where you are

Mike

mjbjr

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the given link above, some of that is encrypted (it has an 'E' in the mode) and some of it is D (Phase 1). No scanner can handle encryption, but a SDS scanner can handle both the 'T' (phase 2) and 'D'. A 197 could not handle anything with a 'T' in the mode. According to the listing that system is simulcast which is why the 197 would struggle with it, depending on where you are

Mike
Yes I learned that the hard way with the 197. I eventually sold it. Thank you everyone for the help

rf_patriot200

What is waterfall for this scanner?
The Waterfall is essentially a band scope that lets you set limits above and a below a frequency you select to see how active that range of frequencies are. It's an Option available on the SDS line, that's available from Uniden for $50 I think. I have it, but I rarely use it.

mjbjr

Premium Subscriber
The Waterfall is essentially a band scope that lets you set limits above and a below a frequency you select to see how active that range of frequencies are. It's an Option available on the SDS line, that's available from Uniden for $50 I think. I have it, but I rarely use it.
Would i need this for just a couple of counties?