SDS: How to block specific DCS/CTCSS from non tone protected channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Got a fire department VHF tactical channel, that is not tone protected, operated CSQ. My county borders Mexico (ugh), so there is also a Mexican repeater in TJ operating on the same VHF frequency as the output, with tone of DCS032. Is there a way to block only DCS032 reception? I played with the lockout settings under AUDIO in the channels menu, but other than making the display blink DCS032, I still hear the Spanish language traffic.

Paul

tvengr

Well Known Member
I seem to remember something like this some time ago. Try setting up the frequency with the Mexican tone and avoid it. That would probably work only while scanning if it works at all..

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you did it right. Tho I seem to remember locking out a tone on my 436 and still hearing it. There is a thread for the 536 and he said it worked. I have a 436 but believe sentinel is the same for the sds also.

Did you try thru sentinel or thru the scanner?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps the function performed via keypad is broken, and function must be implimented in Sentinel? I will give that a try, thanks.

Paul

15plus1

Sounds like you did it right. Tho I seem to remember locking out a tone on my 436 and still hearing it. There is a thread for the 536 and he said it worked. I have a 436 but believe sentinel is the same for the sds also.

Did you try thru sentinel or thru the scanner?

There is a box to check 'Tone L/O' in the Audio Option Column in Sentinel

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
On the scanner keypad, going to the channel and entering audio type analog, then selecting lockout, DCS, then 032, results in the radiop continuing to hear the transmissions on DCS032, only I get a blinking DCS032 in the tone display while receiving the Mexican transmission.

Paul

tvengr

Well Known Member
After locking out the Mexican tone, try entering the frequency again using carrier squelch and see if you still hear it.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just ran a test with my SDS200 and the Baltimore City Fire VHF dispatch frequency. I set up 2 channels, one with the tone lockout and the other using carrier squelch. The first several times, I heard Baltimore City on both the lockout and carrier squelch channels. Now, I do not hear Baltimore City on the locked out channel, but I do hear it on the carrier squelch channel. Switching between the 2 channels turns it on and off. You want to monitor the channel with the locked out tone.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Uniden scanners do not have a blockout feature for subtones, like Whistler and some others have. It will receive all subtones when a frequency are programmed as carrier squelch. Ideally it should be a setting for "carrier only" and then a setting for "Tone Search" for all subtones and of course the fixed settings for the tones. It would create a delay in reception while it checks if there's a tone transmitted but not more than what is now with a fixed tone set. It could be a patent issues that makes Uniden reluctant to use that block out feature.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.