SDS100/SDS200: SDS scanning slow solution

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Try setting the global auto filter to "off"
I never ever thought about doing that.

Let me check and see how that affects scanning. Thanks for the tip. However, now I am scratching my head. It seems like the speed of the SDS 100 is is based on reducing radio decisions (can't think of a better word at present). Even though it is marked global, wouldn't the radio still have to make a response no matter what selected? My biggest obstacle for faster scanning was the auto, not global seeing at the site level. I fixed that by using the global setting in the profile.

Last edited:

a417

I never ever thought about doing that.

Let me check and see how that affects scanning. Thanks for the tip. However, now I am scratching my head. It seems like the speed of the SDS 100 is is based on reducing radio decisions (can't think of a better word at present).
The more it has to do for each channel, the longer it will take it to iterate thru those channels.

if you turn it off globally, unless you specifically turn it on per frequency, it will not try to do it on every freq.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Initially, I frequently complained about my SDS 100 since it paled in comparison to my 436HP on scan speed. I fixed the problem. Now, it is faster than the 436HP.

Here is what I did: 1) set my global auto filter to "normal"; 2) set site NAC operation to "use site NAC"; 3) set delay to 4 seconds (my preference); 4) set hold time to 1 second.

Then, I stacked my conventional frequencies for LE in one favorite instead of stacking systems of conventional agencies; 5) started stacking my talk groups for specific agencies in combined lists.

The main thing that sped things up was the site NAC operation activation and adjusting hold time. I had the hold time set on 4 seconds.

Finally, I finally noticed if you set the conventional frequencies to "Auto."

This is the way I do it.
Great tips! I like your idea of “stacking” the conventional Frequencies. Sensible. Did you create the lists manually or just drop and edit?
Stacking talkgroups. I think I have that already. But I will look closer.
I will also look at delay and holds!
Thanks!

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
Scanning 14 systems will cause a major slow down in scanning speed. Why so many? On a digital system scanning a lot of talk-groups won't slow scanning speed, but multiple system, especially 14 will have great impact on scanning speed. Also if your systems have different modes, ie: analog, digital, P25, DMR, NXDN, etc will slow things down.
Well... What do you mean why so many? Locally there are 58 active systems and "super locally" there are 14. I am simply scanning the systems in my area. I usually put a hold on fleetnet or Ottawa P25 because that's mainly what I want to hear, but I figured a 1000 dollar scanner would be able to handle scanning multiple systems...