SDS Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
I am going to buy the SDS 200. I live in Lake County, Ohio. I checked the data base.
I don't see any Pro Voice or NXDN. I do see some DMR. So I think the only upgrade I would need is DMR.

Is this correct? Don't want to pay for an upgrades I don't need. Any upgrades I need I would order when I buy the scanner.
So if someone could take a look and double check for me, I would appreciate it.
TIM

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
If what you intend to listen to is just public safety, then you won't even need the DMR.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The need for the paid upgrades has been discussed ad nauseum here on various forums. It all depends on what your monitoring interests are. Typically businesses, education, hospitals, railroads, mostly non-public safety agencies utilize these modes. I offer the same advice to those who ask: If you go to your state's database page and click the "Trunked Systems" tab you can get a report for all identified DMR/NXDN/Provoice systems statewide. For convenience I attached Ohio's report sorted by system type here. This report only lists identified trunked systems, not conventional channels which if identified can be found on their respective county's db page. There is probably a great deal more DMR & NXDN if you scroll through the VHF & UHF bands that hasn't been identified, usually I discover quite a bit if I visit an area unfamiliar to me. Digital Frequency Search is a website I refer to from time to time. This site aggregates FCC licenses which contain DMR/NXDN/P25 emissions. Now keep in mind just because the licensee is authorized to utilize those modes does not guarantee they are indeed doing so. Hope this makes sense. I have all 3 modes on all of my Unidens & being that I live in a large metropolitan area, there's always plenty to listen to, And yes as you found, DMR is the most widely utilized of the 3. Best wishes with whatever you decide to purchase

Reconrider

Don’t buy the upgrade from the vendor that you buy the sds200 from. They charge more than from uniden straight. Save yourself at least 15$

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
The need for the paid upgrades has been discussed ad nauseum here on various forums. It all depends on what your monitoring interests are. Typically businesses, education, hospitals, railroads, mostly non-public safety agencies utilize these modes. I offer the same advice to those who ask: If you go to your state's database page and click the "Trunked Systems" tab you can get a report for all identified DMR/NXDN/Provoice systems statewide. For convenience I attached Ohio's report sorted by system type here. This report only lists identified trunked systems, not conventional channels which if identified can be found on their respective county's db page. There is probably a great deal more DMR & NXDN if you scroll through the VHF & UHF bands that hasn't been identified, usually I discover quite a bit if I visit an area unfamiliar to me. Digital Frequency Search is a website I refer to from time to time. This site aggregates FCC licenses which contain DMR/NXDN/P25 emissions. Now keep in mind just because the licensee is authorized to utilize those modes does not guarantee they are indeed doing so. Hope this makes sense. I have all 3 modes on all of my Unidens & being that I live in a large metropolitan area, there's always plenty to listen to, And yes as you found, DMR is the most widely utilized of the 3. Best wishes with whatever you decide to purchase

Thanks, Whiskey3JMC for providing me with the Trunked Systems information

Status
Not open for further replies.