SDS XXX, Wanting to have GPS, -and- a Quick Key assigned....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Like the title says, I want to have a business I monitor on GPS, for, say a mile around, so whenever I am near, I can monitor it.
However, I want to be able to use a QK, so in case I -don't- want to hear it, I don't have to go through locking everything out, I can just key in the QK, and have it off.
I don't want to just assign it to a QK, as I may forget to turn it on again, thus me wanting to have it GPS controlled (normally "on", but not scanning, until within the parameters of the GPS I have programmed.
I'm sure this is a "Paul" question, but I am hoping someone has figured out a workaround for this. For me, regardless of GPS I have entered, and setting "location - On", it only locks in and out with the QK, seems the GPS parameters programmed in have no relevance.

Thank you in advance

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you only want to hear it within that one mile range, then skip the quick key. Assign it to it's own Favorites list, and enable location control on the list. Set either the range for the system for one mile, and your range on the scanner to zero, or scanner one mile/system 0 miles. Be sure, of course, that you enter it's location correctly so that the GPS has a correct reference point.

However, that's only going to work as you desire if any other favorites lists you monitor are set to not use location control. Otherwise, a longer range (in the scanner) for your other lists will encompass your "limited" system, no matter what range you set for that system itself. If your business system is embedded in a list that does not use location control, then no matter any GPS info you enter (location & desired range) will make any difference at all. So then your only way to enable or disable the system would be via it's quick key.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I didn't make it clear....

GPS already in it. I want to be able to disable it if needed, with GPS controlling it, yet be able to simply hit a QK to disable if wanted.

I have hundreds of GPS enabled "departments" in my codeplug. I am very clear how to set that up. I just want to be able to have it to where I can cut it off as needed.

I always keep my location at zero. Have the parameters of the depts set with a centerpoint with a distance out, or a rectangle, square (or even several) dependent of the shape of the area I want to monitor.

Regardless, if QK can't override GPS, I'm not going to worry with it, I can always temporarily lock it out if desired.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
A quick key will work, no matter whether GPS is live or not in use. But there is no way to selectively disable GPS usage for one system without affecting any other systems or Favorites that have GPS enabled. So, if you are using GPS for other systems & departments, the only way to turn that single system on or off, without changing GPS/Location parameters on all the remaining systems is use a Quick Key.

You cannot selectively use one range setting, for only one system, and a different range setting for any other system or department.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
A quick key will work, no matter whether GPS is live or not in use. But there is no way to selectively disable GPS usage for one system without affecting any other systems or Favorites that have GPS enabled.

That's what I am seeing, thank you for confirming that.
You cannot selectively use one range setting, for only one system, and a different range setting for any other system or department.

Again, I have no need to alter my range setting of the scanner, it is always at zero.

I can have any range I desire on the actual systems / departments....

Thanks, out.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Again, I have no need to alter my range setting of the scanner, it is always at zero.

I can have any range I desire on the actual systems / departments....

Thanks, out.
OK, I see what you are getting at.

As long as your scanner's range is set at zero, then you indeed could let it handle that single system, toggling on and off at the one mile range setting for that system, while setting a more useful range on any other systems.

I was thinking that you were setting the scanner's range at a larger figure than zero, so your plan would not work as desired to single out that one short range item. But if the scanner range is always zero, then you'd only hear the target system when within the range set for that specific system/department, which you are setting at one mile. Your other systems and departments, with a differing, larger range, then would still toggle on or off as expected.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just chiming in. . .

Owing to how important this is to you, you could duplicate the Favorites List. Version one would be location controlled. It would come on as you get within the defined site/department range. No Quick Key on this one. If it comes on and you don't want to hear it, use the Avoid button. That way when the scanner power is toggled, the Avoid clears meaning you don't have the worry of remembering to turn something back on.

Version two is identical except that Location Control is Off and there is a Quick Key but it is set to off by default. If you get the whim to listen to it regardless of location, turn on the quick key. When you get done, turn the quick key off. Because there is no location control, you can attempt to monitor it regardless of how far away you are.

But I gotta say, the more parameters one adds to something, the more complicated it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.