SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 1 issue fixed, one remains

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1riw

Premium Subscriber
I recently discovered why some talkgroups were not being picked up on my SDS100. For whatever reason, groups marked with service "fire tac" or "law tac" are not scanner. I changed those groups to fire dispatch or law dispatch and they started coming in. I don't really care what the service is listed as but not sure why this is happening...

Another issue I am chronically having is while receiving a transmission the unit will suddenly cutting out and the display indicates "link". This is very annoying if anyone has a workaround. Seems most prevalent on a analog trunk there is nothing for the scanner to be looking for so I don't know why it is happening

Thanks for any suggestions

Tim

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Press F+SERVICES, then enable those other service types if you want to hear channels tagged that way.

phask

Premium Subscriber
For whatever reason, groups marked with service "fire tac" or "law tac" are not scanner. I changed those groups to fire dispatch or law dispatch and they started coming in. I d

They are tagged that way as that per the definition used by RR. You may not use it, but others may. Just another filter.

If you create your own lists, either turn those services on, or change (as you did).

Some users actually set the alert lights or tones different for service types.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another issue I am chronically having is while receiving a transmission the unit will suddenly cutting out and the display indicates "link". This is very annoying if anyone has a workaround. Seems most prevalent on a analog trunk there is nothing for the scanner to be looking for so I don't know why it is happening

"LNK" means the scanner is receiving/monitoring the system control channel. There is nothing wrong with your scanner. Rather the transmitting radio has stopped transmitting. Finger slipped off the transmit button, hit a dead spot, has a problem with his/her radio, etc.

Ain't much you can do about that, though you could take comfort knowing anyone else scanning the system is seeing/hearing the same thing.

SCPD

QRT

Thanks for any suggestions

Tim
I also had this issue and found that if programmed into a favorites list all analog frequencies then set p25 wait time to 0 and set audio type to analog search mode the Link on analog goes away.. Hope this will help you..Oh and if there are CTSS or DCS tones make sure to program those into the frequencies that have them. Good Luck... Hope this was helpful Information... Also make sure the analog trunked system if it is all analog and no digital voice that you select 0 for digital waiting time in the site options

Last edited:

dancrosoft

"LNK" means the scanner is receiving/monitoring the system control channel. There is nothing wrong with your scanner. Rather the transmitting radio has stopped transmitting. Finger slipped off the transmit button, hit a dead spot, has a problem with his/her radio, etc.

Ain't much you can do about that, though you could take comfort knowing anyone else scanning the system is seeing/hearing the same thing.

Mine does this and it is def not caused by above. I have ran my unication G5 next to the SDS100. SDS100 will drop out when the G5 keeps on truckin.

Happened today with when following an FD transmission. Fire Fighter called mayday which got my attention, SDS100 dropped out mid transmission. Could not get the SDS back on channel unless I move it around or switched back and forth channels. The signal bar was full the entire time. [Turned on the G5 and got all of the rest of the traffic.]

Occurrences of this have dropped with some of the firmware updates but it is still not as reliable as a G5. (Note: I use the same antenna on both: stock motorola 800mhz that comes on the police radios)

Above is on NC CLT USAI P25...

SCPD

QRT
My sds100 did not show link on moto type 2 or any other ANALOG trunk systems... unless i had digital waiting time in the system set to the default 400ms

Everyone the OP is stating its a fiully analog Trunk system...

Last edited:

dancrosoft

Hello all,

Wanted to follow up on this post. I have got my SDS100 to a point where I can say it is within the acceptable range of reliable from a P25 Simulcast standpoint. (It is sooo close to the G5 but with one caviat).

My SDS is receiving 95% of transmissions in totality with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DY8FOK0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now assuming you have seen that this is a mag mount 800mhz antenna. (I am using this in the house btw) I would like to point out that my testing between the G5 and the SDS100 was repeated with this new setup. The G5 maintained its numbers with the same motorola rubber duck antenna.

What I learned from this is that the receive (at least for 700-800mhz P25 Digital) is better in the G5 vs the SDS100. Now be advised that this is specific to my use case and location so YMMV. What I can say is I can take my G5 to the middle of the house and lay it flat on the floor and it will still receive as it should.

The SDS100 seems to loose the P25 Link or connection randomly. When this happens and I am holding - i can switch up and chan and back one and itll come in again. This of course is unacceptable IMO.

Any who - I am not sure what this will tell everyone. In the end I am keeping the SDS100 to be used as my primary scanner for analog and other non P25 General monitoring. I will use it for P25 when I want to follow and event closely now that I have decent reliability with the ridiculous antenna setup.

Side note: I bought the external antenna as a last ditch effort after being incredibly frustrated with trying to follow POTUS visit to CLT. It was the first time I attempted to use the SDS100 to closely follow and even where the drops were noticeable due to the events natural progression. Extremely Frustrating.

In the end - If you have a bag of money - my recommendation at this time is to buy both a G5 and an SDS100. (I dont have a bag of money but this is what I did over time.)

If you dont - then you have to make a choice. Sub standard P25 reception + everything else (SDS100) or just very reliable P25 with no direct hold function (G4/5).

I really hope Uniden fixes these issues. Again I must state that YMMV and my use case is specific.

Lemme know if anyone has any questions I can answer.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You are not the only one with Missed Transmissions on a simulcast system, even sitting on one TG. This is unacceptable, I agree. Sometimes I miss two or three words and sometimes I miss a complete Exchange of both sides of the conversation. Everybody gets different results in different places and I'm only speaking for my situation. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

dancrosoft

You are not the only one with Missed Transmissions on a simulcast system, even sitting on one TG. This is unacceptable, I agree. Sometimes I miss two or three words and sometimes I miss a complete Exchange of both sides of the conversation. Everybody gets different results in different places and I'm only speaking for my situation. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Thank you for your reply kind sir. I wish we could get at least some acknowledgement from Uniden. (They may have already but I just didnt find he post. Dont think so tho.)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes I've posted it before and other people have complained of it in different threads. I'm pretty much done with this but if I had a choice I would not have spent the money. It's my fault I should have waited before buying, I've been around long enough to know better. I'm glad so many people are happy but they should recognize a lot of people are not.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes I've posted it before and other people have complained of it in different threads. I'm pretty much done with this but if I had a choice I would not have spent the money. It's my fault I should have waited before buying, I've been around long enough to know better. I'm glad so many people are happy but they should recognize a lot of people are not.
Bob,
That is what is strange about the comments on the SDS100. A number of people with enough experience to know what they're doing (like yourself) are still having issues, others none. We know there are differences in the systems themselves. Not all of them are maintained close to specs, and, of course, simulcast is also a wild card. While, due only to my location, I've not had simulcast problems (did not have them on earlier models either), there are some systems that seem harder to puzzle out than normal. Your state has some of them with frequent complaints, and the Phoenix area has spots that seem to be a Bermuda Triangle for most scanners. There are, of course, other areas with continuing problems.

Also, the hit or miss comments, where someone sends their scanner in, and then it comes out working way better, leads me to believe that there is more variance between samples of the scanner than we normally see. For the early adopter units (like I have), part of that could be due to the fact that these were 'pilot production' models. The plant had never built the model before, and there could be differences in build quality as the assembly line was trying to hit it's stride producing these. Some assembly functions are automated, but others, at least initially, may have required more manual tweaking to the process. Component quality is another unknown factor. Perhaps pre-assembly inspection of the incoming components has not been as accurate in spotting marginal parts, that fail early.

I don't claim to know the required solution, but it does seem that the results are either good, or bad (or fail early).

dancrosoft

Bob,
That is what is strange about the comments on the SDS100. A number of people with enough experience to know what they're doing (like yourself) are still having issues, others none. We know there are differences in the systems themselves. Not all of them are maintained close to specs, and, of course, simulcast is also a wild card. While, due only to my location, I've not had simulcast problems (did not have them on earlier models either), there are some systems that seem harder to puzzle out than normal. Your state has some of them with frequent complaints, and the Phoenix area has spots that seem to be a Bermuda Triangle for most scanners. There are, of course, other areas with continuing problems.

Also, the hit or miss comments, where someone sends their scanner in, and then it comes out working way better, leads me to believe that there is more variance between samples of the scanner than we normally see. For the early adopter units (like I have), part of that could be due to the fact that these were 'pilot production' models. The plant had never built the model before, and there could be differences in build quality as the assembly line was trying to hit it's stride producing these. Some assembly functions are automated, but others, at least initially, may have required more manual tweaking to the process. Component quality is another unknown factor. Perhaps pre-assembly inspection of the incoming components has not been as accurate in spotting marginal parts, that fail early.

I don't claim to know the required solution, but it does seem that the results are either good, or bad (or fail early).

Thanks for your reply as well. Very good to see folks actively talking about this.

As to our particular P25 issues. I really believe it is a receive issue. (I am by no means ans expert either.) It seems seems bazaar that I can get my reliability into the 90ish percentile range with a mag mount 800mhz antenna. (Now it is like a $14 antenna but I presume it is better than just about any rubber duck.)

I am also a HAM guy and I have seen similar when comparing different HAM radios. (Cheaper Chinese ones compared to a Kenwood or Yeasu for example). Some just have better receive than others.

With reading the previous post - it leads me to think it could be a hit or miss weak receive that is causing our issues. Goes back to QA and reliable part sourcing. If this is indeed the issue.

If anyone has an extra $14, curious to see if others get the same result as I did.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply as well. Very good to see folks actively talking about this.

As to our particular P25 issues. I really believe it is a receive issue. (I am by no means ans expert either.) It seems seems bazaar that I can get my reliability into the 90ish percentile range with a mag mount 800mhz antenna. (Now it is like a $14 antenna but I presume it is better than just about any rubber duck.)

I am also a HAM guy and I have seen similar when comparing different HAM radios. (Cheaper Chinese ones compared to a Kenwood or Yeasu for example). Some just have better receive than others.

With reading the previous post - it leads me to think it could be a hit or miss weak receive that is causing our issues. Goes back to QA and reliable part sourcing. If this is indeed the issue.

If anyone has an extra $14, curious to see if others get the same result as I did.
I use one of those 'cheap $14 antennas' at times as well. Generally when mobile on a regional trip, bit occasionally when I don't have access to a true external (rooftop) antenna.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve, I've been around a long time and remember when bearcat scanners were made by The Electra company in Cumberland Indiana.

There is no question there is a QC problem and inconsistencies. I think my radio is in the second wave because of being misled by a certain vendor we all know and being told it was in stock when it wasn't and then had to wait a while. Everything else seems to work fine with good audio which doesn't help me because I was looking for a lighter and smaller alternative to what I use now for simulcast systems.

The inconsistencies, random malfunctions and bugs speak for themselves and I don't accept excuses as that's part of the game of buying an expensive newly designed radio. To me that just doesn't flush.

It seems that it's working great for a lot of folks. My system has one site called simulcast and then a lot of towers, 26 I think, rather close together.

I'm pretty much giving up here and just chalking it up to experience. I use the radio to listen to one talk group at my setup at home using a system hold time of 255 seconds that works but I can't use my portable as a portable nor can I scan anything else.

Thanks for your reply at least you didn't attack me or make it my fault like others have here. I only came back on RR because I got this radio. I quickly remembered why I went off RR close to 3 years ago, LOL. Thanks again for your reply.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm lucky that I own both a G5 and a SDS100, and consider them both operationally equivalent wrt reception. I guess I'm also lucky that even though my SDS100 was from the first "wave" of shipments, it performs much better on simulcast P25 systems (particularly Phase 1) than the 436 it replaced.

There are so many variables to that affect signal reception. As I write this, I'm on the 3rd floor of a stick built building, in a suburban to urban density metropolitan area that suffers from periodic waves of broadband interference. I can see it happen on a spectrum monitor, and sometimes I can correlate it with audible static on analog 800 channels, and a slight distortion / warbling on digital channels. I actually look out of my window and can see a monopole with 3 banks of cell antennas less than 1/4 mile away, and a hospital with an undoubtedly powerful paging system is 1/2 mile away. I do not use external antennas on my radios: G5 uses stock, the SDS100 uses the RS800, and the 536 uses stock, yet all perform adequately on the simulcast systems I monitor. Given this somewhat difficult environment, I consider these 3 radios acceptable on the simulcast systems I monitor.**

Why some people are reporting issues, while most people say their performs SDS100 flawless probably correlates to their listening environment, the design of the system(s) they are monitoring, the programming and understanding of the operation of their radio, and their expectations (I expect my expensive iPhone to work everywhere I go, but understand there will be times when it won't.).

I would suggest that anyone who believes their radio is defective or not meeting performance expectations should send it in for repair, with a detailed explanation of its issues and the circumstances when it occurs. If no problem is found, sell the radio because it clearly is not satisfactory in your situation for whatever reason.

** I consider the G5 the best performing receiver of the bunch (but the least used,) and the SDS100 the most flexible. The 536 runs 24/7 and basically screens for incidents of interest, and the SDS100 is then used to focus in on those incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.