SDS100/SDS200: SDS100&200 Global Filter Setting spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

Isn't the RF filter making it location critical and not system dependent? If it was a datadecode filter it might have been usefull to evaluate the best setting for a particular system but now it depends highly on the unique local RF enviroment that each user has. An RF filter setting are unlikely to be the same for two different users at different locations and distancies from the transmit tower and other interfering sources.

/Ubbe

RF23

Premium Subscriber
The Global setting does not have an option for Global. Only Normal, Inverted, Auto.

My present understanding is:

Global – Whole Radio (Normal, Inverted, Auto)

Site – A Specific Trunked system Only (Normal, Inverted, Auto)

Department – A Specific Conventional Channel Only (Normal, Inverted, Auto)

Of course Site & Department can be done in conjunction with Global.

Is this Correct?

gillham

Feed Provider
My present understanding is:

Global – Whole Radio (Normal, Inverted, Auto)

Site – A Specific Trunked system Only (Normal, Inverted, Auto)

Department – A Specific Conventional Channel Only (Normal, Inverted, Auto)

Of course Site & Department can be done in conjunction with Global.

Is this Correct?

Global: Normal/Invert/Auto
Site: Global/Normal/Invert/Auto
Dept: Global/Normal/Invert/Auto
CloseCall: Global/Normal/Invert/Auto

If you're still on 1.07.00, then you also have "Original"
SDS100FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

If you change your Site, Dept, or CC from Global, to one of the other three, it overrides your Global setting for that specific Site/Dept/CC.

ansky

I have tried all of the various filter settings on some of the UHF analog frequencies where I'm getting intermod and I have not noticed any difference.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
My personal experience with the different filters is they have made a difference in many of my analog systems that were suffering the rf intermod issues. I had to move much of my analog scanning back to the 536 for awhile, but after making filter adjustments, was able to return my analog back to the SDS200. The only systems I still can not monitor consistently is a low power DMR and NXDN systems which the filters made no difference. The SDS200 can't pull these out well enough unfortunately.

ansky

My personal experience with the different filters is they have made a difference in many of my analog systems that were suffering the rf intermod issues. I had to move much of my analog scanning back to the 536 for awhile, but after making filter adjustments, was able to return my analog back to the SDS200. The only systems I still can not monitor consistently is a low power DMR and NXDN systems which the filters made no difference. The SDS200 can't pull these out well enough unfortunately.

Which filter settings did you use on analog? I'm seeing the biggest problems in the 460-480MHz range. I tried all of the different filters and I'm not noticing any difference.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Which filter settings did you use on analog? I'm seeing the biggest problems in the 460-480MHz range. I tried all of the different filters and I'm not noticing any difference.

Wide Normal has worked best for me. UHF and VHF analog reception has improved. On AM Aircraft band, I use Wide Invert. My P25 simulcast system is working best with Attenuator ON. It is an experiment and patience. No setting will work best for everyone.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I had trouble with 462.950 set the filter to wide normal with the IFX set to on and the difference was 100% improvement.

intermod

Are these filter IF, RF, or further down the line in the DSP? And what are their characteristics so we don;'t burn a lot of time testing all these out on intermittent signals. Sever referred me to the Wiki - its says nothing of value.

intermod

I would be willing to pay $$$$ for this SDS200 with a front end like my ICOM R8500. Unit is at a remote location and switching in bandpass filters with coaxial relays will cost more than a good front end. The 20 dB attenuator still does not solve much of the front end overload or what appears to be massive receiver intermod in the IF. I tried brick-wall multicoupler filters (five series bandpass filters) and that finally solved most of it, but those are $300 each on the used market, $1200 new. And then I can only look at a 1-3 MHz window. Or maybe Uniden could make an add-in professional front end module as an option since this would have such a high price point.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I would pay $150 more without blinking for what would be an SDS200 with some switched bandpass filtering. At home, in my apartment, the stock SDS has no real problems, but if I put it in my car, there are intermod issues galore, and desensitizing too. A friend of mine was thinking about buying an SDS200, but when I took mine over there failed miserably mostly due to being slammed by a nearby business, and a not all that close FM station is in the mix on some frequencies too Even just adding an FM broadcast filter would be a huge help, but it still needs more help. Until then, his Pro 197 soldiers on.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The one thing that get's overlooked quite often is the filter settings that were added in a few firmware upgrades from before. Many seem to ignore them or are not familiar of their workings. Their are 2 settings which I found to be very helpful..Global and Site/Department. Global may cure one intermod system issue since it affects all systems, but reduce sensitivity of another. This is where the Site/Department filter setting works much better. I read many posts like these, and I wonder if either settings have been attempted. Yes you can argue that you paid $700 for a scanner and why should I do this, but then if you take this position and your reception suffers, what are you left with?

We have been waiting for a scanner that can decode P25 simulcast systems. Since many public safety departments are switching to these types of systems, it makes sense. Not that analog can be ignored, but more departments are switching.

I live in one of these high RF/intermod areas in a large metropolitan area. Initially some of the reception wasn't as good as I hoped. By taking the time to learn and tweak the filter settings, I can now say it's working better than my 536 which it replaced. Take your time and work with it, you might be pleasantly surprised.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I would pay $150 more without blinking for what would be an SDS200 with some switched bandpass filtering. At home, in my apartment, the stock SDS has no real problems, but if I put it in my car, there are intermod issues galore, and desensitizing too. A friend of mine was thinking about buying an SDS200, but when I took mine over there failed miserably mostly due to being slammed by a nearby business, and a not all that close FM station is in the mix on some frequencies too Even just adding an FM broadcast filter would be a huge help, but it still needs more help. Until then, his Pro 197 soldiers on.

Sounds like poor dynamic range, not surprising being an SDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.