SDS100 200 Scanning Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby821

Brand Newbie to digital trunking but have analog knowledge. I'm currently old school with the BC370CRS and I'm looking to purchase the SDS100 or 200 but before I do I'm trying to find out what their range is. I'm currently located in West Milford NJ and want to scan Paterson NJ and NYC which is about 40 miles away using the antenna that comes with the unit. If anybody knows if this is possible please let me know. Thank You

K2NEC

In Kinnelon, I can barely hear Paterson on a portable, and NYC on a mobile. It has to be a good day to be able to hear them really well (or they have to be on a good place on the shelf). YMMV but just because it's a fancy scanner doesn't mean it will pick them up any better. The SDS scanners do better on trunking compared to the older scanners. I'm not sure about analog and anyone can chime in here and prove me wrong but it won't be that much different.

Ubbe

SDS scanners can be both more sensitive with longer range but also less sensitive with shorter range than a conventional scanner.

It's an automatic gain function in the SDS scanners that makes it more sensitive if no other transmitters are too close in frequency range and not having too much signal strenght. But will also reduce the gain a lot if a strong transmitters are too close to your monitored frequency. It's hard to tell what your location looks like, if it will favorable to a SDS scanner or not. Buy with a return policy so that you can return a SDS scanner, just paying for shipping, if it doesn't work out.

/Ubbe

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
the range or distance a scanner can recieve a signal from depends on so many factors thats ut not funny, and what works for one person may not work for another.

a scanner is only as good as the antenna that is attached to and where that antenna is mounted.

GeekNJ

I would say you will not hear them using the radio’s antenna. I don’t think you will hear them with any indoor antenna. You might hear some with a proper outdoor antenna BUT it would depend a lot on...

- your location - up high, in a valley, mountains between you and the signals
- transmit power of what you are trying to receive
- your antenna and coax (type and length)
- RF noise in your area
- dozens of other influencing factors

My home is about 20 miles from NYC in Bergen County and with an external antenna (ham ratio VHF/UHF) I can hear some NYC frequencies. I don’t listen to NYC but I know I can hear at least some.

There are transmissions much closer than NYC that I cannot hear or can’t hear well due to factors I mentioned above.

edisonfire

Bobby821 it might be helpful to tell us what you can hear from your old scanner with portable and fixed antennas. You might be at an elevation that favors reception, or you might be blocked by the hilltops/mountains in that area. So give us your best guess what your hear east, south, west, etc

ansky

Brand Newbie to digital trunking but have analog knowledge. I'm currently old school with the BC370CRS and I'm looking to purchase the SDS100 or 200 but before I do I'm trying to find out what their range is. I'm currently located in West Milford NJ and want to scan Paterson NJ and NYC which is about 40 miles away using the antenna that comes with the unit. If anybody knows if this is possible please let me know. Thank You

I can tell you about my personal experience with the SDS 200. In short, it does not perform well on analog compared to my older scanners. I frequently listen to NYPD and Newark PD which are all in the 460-480 MHz range. There is a ton of intermod with various frequencies all bleeding into each other in this range. I never had this problem with my HomePatrol 2, BCT-8, or any other older scanner. Where the SDS series shines is on digital trunking systems that use simulcast. I get great reception of the NJICS digital system. Since it sounds like you are primarily interested in analog, I would not recommend the SDS scanners and you will actually not find any better performance over what you are already using. It is also worth noting that the NYPD is in the process of going encrypted over the next few years, so you probably don't want to make a big investment at this point anyway.

mondaro

Feed Provider
The simple answer is your mileage may vary it's like some women - Uniden SDS radios are the best I ran into in a long time worth the money IMO.

Kaleier1

I can tell you about my personal experience with the SDS 200. In short, it does not perform well on analog compared to my older scanners. I frequently listen to NYPD and Newark PD which are all in the 460-480 MHz range. There is a ton of intermod with various frequencies all bleeding into each other in this range.

I agree with this 100%. UHF is a mess. I can't even monitor FRS or GMRS because of all the intermod and frequencies bleeding over.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
West Milford to Paterson isn’t far straight vein but lots of high hills to get over....depending we’re u are standing. I think my option towing your area from Paterson Rutherford and even Lincoln park nj.......you’ll need a decent antenna. Might hear something idk. I got the bcd9996p rooftop antenna....I receive caldwell good but once over 280 up by 287 and rt80 north towards youuuu. It’s climb ....I say maybe 50/50....

mikewpu04

I agree with this 100%. UHF is a mess. I can't even monitor FRS or GMRS because of all the intermod and frequencies bleeding over.

I totally agree with this assessment of the SDS200. It is not the best scanner for analog conventional, but does an excellent job with the NJSP and NJICS systems. I still prefer my BCT15X for analog scanning of local PD/FD/EMS.

Salvatorejrc

In Kinnelon, I can barely hear Paterson on a portable, and NYC on a mobile. It has to be a good day to be able to hear them really well (or they have to be on a good place on the shelf). YMMV but just because it's a fancy scanner doesn't mean it will pick them up any better. The SDS scanners do better on trunking compared to the older scanners. I'm not sure about analog and anyone can chime in here and prove me wrong but it won't be that much different.
I hear paterson just fine with an sds100 and i'm in towaco

K2NEC

I hear paterson just fine with an sds100 and i'm in towaco
West Milford to Paterson isn’t far straight vein but lots of high hills to get over....depending we’re u are standing. I think my option towing your area from Paterson Rutherford and even Lincoln park nj.......you’ll need a decent antenna. Might hear something idk. I got the bcd9996p rooftop antenna....I receive caldwell good but once over 280 up by 287 and rt80 north towards youuuu. It’s climb ....I say maybe 50/50....
The simple answer is your mileage may vary it's like some women - Uniden SDS radios are the best I ran into in a long time worth the money IMO.
As you can see, your mileage definitely varies

Status
Not open for further replies.