SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Analyze feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
I know the sds100 analyze feature gives a signal level, decode level, and Actvity status but I have a question. What determines the signal level? the tower im looking at the signal level has three control channels and 2 other frequencies programmed so someone explain this to me

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
“What determines the signal level?”
Power level of the transmitter, height above ground of the antenna, orientation of the antenna type of antenna used, antenna gain (all relate to both yours and the antenna site, distance to and line-of-sight of the xmit site, your receiver, atmospherics (band openings or “skip”, usually a factor on the lower VHF Low band and below). Basically, a lot of variables.

The system you describe is a trunked system. The power levels are the same for any frequency they xmit on, as is the antenna. (They may be using two sites, one for receive and another for xmit, meaning they use two antennas. They may be located at and on the same tower, the same site but spaced apart from each other by feet, or separated by a distance in miles.

If you are having receive issues, you should list the location for us which includes state, COUNTY, town/city, name of system so we can check other factors such as if it’s a simulcast system, your location in respect to the xmit site (do you have line-of-site with the site), distance to the site, geographical lay of the land between you and the site.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I know the sds100 analyze feature gives a signal level, decode level, and Actvity status but I have a question. What determines the signal level? the tower im looking at the signal level has three control channels and 2 other frequencies programmed so someone explain this to me
To add to what @n1chu said if you have a tower with 3 control channels then you would have 3 different data streams and thus have either 3 different systems, or 3 different layers of the same system.
I believe what you are looking at is a single trunking system with 1 primary control channel and 2 alternates, and 2 dedicated voice. Also note that the alternate control channels will be used as voice channels.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
To add to what @n1chu said if you have a tower with 3 control channels then you would have 3 different data streams and thus have either 3 different systems, or 3 different layers of the same system.
I believe what you are looking at is a single trunking system with 1 primary control channel and 2 alternates, and 2 dedicated voice. Also note that the alternate control channels will be used as voice channels.

what you said here sounds like what I’m looking for. The site I’m using analyze for has 3 control channels and 2 other frequencies listed. I was just curious what is was using to determine the signal level? One of the control channels or the alternate channels. I believe you all have answered my question

Status
Not open for further replies.