SDS100 and ProScan - Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

eapolsniper

Feed Provider
Howdy,

I have an SDS100 and I'm currently sending audio through ScannerCast. I want to switch to Proscan so I can send tags along with my audio in my broadcast. I installed Sentinel on my Windows 8 machine, and connected to the scanner just fine. Made sure it was all up to date. I then closed Sentinel and tried connecting my scanner to proscan, but I'm getting nothing. There's no documentation in the manual about how to connect wiring or a getting started section so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried connecting the scanner via USB, and I can connect to the comm port, but I don't know if I have the wrong baude rate maybe or what but I get nothing. I do see the SDS100 comm interface is showing as not having a driver in Windows, not sure if thats needed or not since the Sentenel software didn't use one?

Questions:

1. Do I hook up just USB or USB + audio cable? I've tried both so far and nothing.
2. What baude rate does the SDS100 use?
3. I'm assuming I choose 'use usb as serial port' when my radio asks, vs use as mass storage adapter. I've tried both but serial port seems more right.
4. Do I need to do anything else or does anyone have troubleshooting steps for me?

I have literally nothing to go on and I'm confused...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Questions:

1. Do I hook up just USB or USB + audio cable? I've tried both so far and nothing.
You need both. The USB cable doesn't carry audio.

2. What baude rate does the SDS100 use?

3. I'm assuming I choose 'use usb as serial port' when my radio asks, vs use as mass storage adapter. I've tried both but serial port seems more right.
Correct. Use Serial Port mode.

4. Do I need to do anything else or does anyone have troubleshooting steps for me?
You need the serial port driver. See the Windows Serial Driver section in this link. the SDS100 driver is the same for the 536

Get the serial port communications working first. My free RadioFeed program will also stream to Broadcastify

eapolsniper

Feed Provider
Thanks Proscan, I have the radio up and running now, even got the tags working!

My only issue now is a light beeping kinda sound. Can be heard at Cass and Clay Counties Public Safety Live Audio Feed. It was a lot worse and I put a ground loop isolator on it and that brought it down to just this beeping sound. It doesn't beep when I'm listening to the radio directly or when I'm using ScannerCast. Any idea how to get it to go away? I tried to squelch it incase it was the radio, I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting cables, etc. Would a ferrite help? Or the sliders in Audio Control?

eapolsniper

Feed Provider
And one hopefully final question: I'm setting what I want to send in the Alpha tags, but I can't seem to get the talk group to send, I can get the TG ID, but not the name of the group to send. The manual doesn't show a way to do this, is there a way? Thats the field I most wanted to send...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Proscan, I have the radio up and running now, even got the tags working!

My only issue now is a light beeping kinda sound. Can be heard at Cass and Clay Counties Public Safety Live Audio Feed. It was a lot worse and I put a ground loop isolator on it and that brought it down to just this beeping sound. It doesn't beep when I'm listening to the radio directly or when I'm using ScannerCast. Any idea how to get it to go away? I tried to squelch it incase it was the radio, I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting cables, etc. Would a ferrite help? Or the sliders in Audio Control?

It sounds like the Resume Scan/Search is set to something other then off. It's located in the upper right corner of the program. If you don't see it,click the little box until it's in view.
ProScan: - ProScan restarts scanning immediately after stopping on signal

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
On the ProScan sliders, I always recommend the connected input up at 100% and the unused input at 0%.
And one hopefully final question: I'm setting what I want to send in the Alpha tags, but I can't seem to get the talk group to send, I can get the TG ID, but not the name of the group to send. The manual doesn't show a way to do this, is there a way? Thats the field I most wanted to send...

Use %C for the Channel name

eapolsniper

Feed Provider
I can't figure out whats causing the feedback. Is there any way in Proscan to block out low level noise interference? Its not terrible but its annoying over time.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I can't figure out whats causing the feedback. Is there any way in Proscan to block out low level noise interference? Its not terrible but its annoying over time.

A few reasons:
1. Mic is picking up the scanner audio
2. ProScan Loopback is on. It's located in the Audio Control - Test & Extra tab
3. The Win Mixer "Listen to this device" is checked

ProScan can't filter out the low level noise. It's better to get to the root cause.

Last edited:

caltain

Was ghosting this thread, but I have input that might help.

I‘m a big fan of using GLI‘s in my studio and my radio shack, but they aren’t the cure all that they used to be. This is especially true when we are forced by circumstances to use a multi-band antenna inside the home, rather than being able to move it away from the brutal indoor RFI environment.

If the offending noise you are hearing sounds like an intermittent fixed pitch that happens at a regularly spaced interval when it happens, then it’s pretty likely that you are getting interference from a Wi-Fi device/antenna that is too close to your scanner or antenna. It will normally be worst when there is streaming over the Wi-Fi link.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.