SDS100 And State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
With this current unit I pick the CSP up in my bedroom and in other places but not in the living room where my other scanners have 0 problems. I cant possibly imagine what is in my living room that this flagship scanner cannot handle on a p25 system that 4 and 5 year old units like the HPII have no issues with.

I track CSP on my HPII and BCD325P2 in the living room.
Since it is a completely different receiver design it not hard to imagine. Just like my old 796d in one room deaf as a stone while the sds100 picks everything out of the mud.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Since it is a completely different receiver design it not hard to imagine. Just like my old 796d in one room deaf as a stone while the sds100 picks everything out of the mud.

Just seems odd.

At least it does pick up the state police, I've been hearing them for most of the day as I've been driving around. So it seems that at least this one is doing that, though not from my living room ...

cg

Premium Subscriber
Try to find the source of interference, unplug everything in each room, especially wall warts and see if there is any improvement. You could also program the control channel as a conventional channel and listen to nhe CC noise as you move near each possible source of interference. If the radio is more sensitive, it will probably get more interference.

chris

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Now it doesnt pick up the CSP at all , at least as of this morning. I'll try going out later, but this whole thing just makes no sense at all.

It seems like it just simply doesnt receive this p25 system. Everything else comes in fine.

I'm at a loss. This software defined stuff seems to have some major quirks.

evilgriff

I am having the same exact problem, except in NJ. Local is fine. Weather is fine. Able to pick up 700 mhz analog fine. But no NJ State Police, or the Intraoperative System they use here.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I am having the same exact problem, except in NJ. Local is fine. Weather is fine. Able to pick up 700 mhz analog fine. But no NJ State Police, or the Intraoperative System they use here.

In this case , it seems to be location based. I hear them fine outside and other places but not in my living room, even though I have other scanners that are transmitting just fine.

This really is the weirdest thing.

mkt853

Just seems odd.

At least it does pick up the state police, I've been hearing them for most of the day as I've been driving around. So it seems that at least this one is doing that, though not from my living room ...
Same problem here on CSERN (assume that's the system you're talking about). SDS100 sitting on my desk 0% chance of receive. Take the SDS100 10 feet into the next room, full bars. It's not just the SDS100 as the SDS200 does the same. I want to try out the filters to see if that has an impact. I'd be really interested in reading how these systems work that cause such bizarre behavior. In the old days it was generally just a matter of how far you were from the transmitter. Now there seems to be all sorts of factors at play. The answer of course is just connecting to the outdoor antenna, then it's fine, but obviously with the SDS100 I'm not going to do that since I like to be able to pick it up and carry it with me when I go places.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Same problem here on CSERN (assume that's the system you're talking about). SDS100 sitting on my desk 0% chance of receive. Take the SDS100 10 feet into the next room, full bars. It's not just the SDS100 as the SDS200 does the same. I want to try out the filters to see if that has an impact. I'd be really interested in reading how these systems work that cause such bizarre behavior. In the old days it was generally just a matter of how far you were from the transmitter. Now there seems to be all sorts of factors at play. The answer of course is just connecting to the outdoor antenna, then it's fine, but obviously with the SDS100 I'm not going to do that since I like to be able to pick it up and carry it with me when I go places.

Agreed and it refers to both systems, the new see CSERN and on the CSP system.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I would be curious to know how many sites you guys have enabled, all of them? Did you just cherry pick a few that are very close to you or are you trying to pick up sites that are at a great distance and the radio is just cycling through all of them? Just wondering.

mkt853

I would be curious to know how many sites you guys have enabled, all of them? Did you just cherry pick a few that are very close to you or are you trying to pick up sites that are at a great distance and the radio is just cycling through all of them? Just wondering.
I'm on the CT/NY state line, so from here I can only receive a single tower - the most southwestern one in the state. The 800 MHz CSP system comes in loud and clear. The 700 MHz CSERN system not at all. This is with the scanner sitting in the same spot on my desk using the same antenna and just holding on the two different systems as a test. I assume I receive both systems from the same tower. Maybe the state is adding new towers for the new system, and I am really in range of more than one tower on 700 MHz causing simulcast issues. I don't know if there is a comprehensive list of all towers and transmitters for these systems that is definitive beyond just a dump of state FCC licenses.

minasha

I read this whole thread and I can't believe nobody is saying the obvious which is the Sds 100 is just terrible on analog channels. It was designed to vastly improve monitoring LSM p25 systems and it does that very well but monitoring everything else it sucks. Tinny audio and no sensitivity on Vhf or Uhf channels. That is probably why you cant even pull in channels that older scanners have no trouble with.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I read this whole thread and I can't believe nobody is saying the obvious which is the Sds 100 is just terrible on analog channels. It was designed to vastly improve monitoring LSM p25 systems and it does that very well but monitoring everything else it sucks. Tinny audio and no sensitivity on Vhf or Uhf channels. That is probably why you cant even pull in channels that older scanners have no trouble with.
Mine does not suck on vhf/vhf analog. Before the filters I had an issue with adjacent channel interference but that is now gone with the filters. So mine is not at all terrible.

WoodburyMan

My SDS100 I only have Troop L's site, with *only* their control channel in the frequency list and I can pick up everything just fine in Woodbury. I'm in a slightly higher elevation than Darkness in the same town, and I get good constant signals with a mobile antenna I have mounted near a Windows. If I bring the scanner inside, I lose it. Even with the mobile antenna I only get -100db to -110db, so I'm right on the hairy edge. -115db is when you start getting signal loss and dropouts. If you listen there's tons of areas in Troop L where the police themselves don't get reception as well so it's not surprising a small difference in location can cause problems with reception, just small variations in scanners with a 1 or 2db difference will do it.

I have a seperate Favorite lists I have with State A's TG and Site listed as well, with just their control channel and it works fine too. Tested on the Motorolla system. I can also get -100db or so for Troop A talk groups out of the CSERN system Wolcott and Plymouth sites.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As I was telling Darkness, if you're only cycling through one site and the system is on one FL there are a few things I would try. If your Global filter is on the default of normal leave it there but go into the particular system and then the particular site and change just that site to invert and if that doesn't work try wide invert or wide normal. You are already on normal since global is set to normal.

The next thing you can do is go into the menu and change the system hold time under system options for that system. It's default 0 now but try 2 seconds. Any longer than that it'll slow your scanning down. Don't confuse this with a delayed time on each Channel this is called system hold time. It actually sits on the system to acquire a signal and then blinks after 2 seconds then re acquires the signal.

The other thing is the best antenna that you're going to use is the remtronics sds100 SMA antenna. It might be better than anything you're using except maybe a rooftop.

That's my two cents, see if it helps you. if someone wants to challenge it or have their own suggestions then there you go. These are just some measures I would try that may work or may not.

PS you can always go into Sentinel and reprogram the system with all the frequencies and sites. Then permanently avoid all the sites except the one that you want. This could be done in the radio if you want so you always have the option of restoring those sites when you're out in the field. You only need to try the different filters on the one site you have enabled.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber

My original issue with the first unit that I returned was with a p25 system not receiving.

This new one has been working as expected, and greatly improved with the remtronix antenna. Analog is receiving as well.

The only thing I have to do is add the Hartford City iTalk groups that are not currently in the list. Even though I can't hear them unless I go up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.