SDS100 And State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
The system is Smartzone (with P25 voice) that is being upgraded to full P25. If you are monitoring 700MHz, you are P25. As of now, all the 800MHz sites are still SZ. Eventually they will change but for now 700=P25 system, 800=Smartzone

chris

Shouldn't the SDS100 be able to decode it?

Just heard a transmission on my BCD325P2. The ID is 857.4845 P25. It sounded fine on that.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Chris would that explain why some talk groups are not working and does it mean that they could work in the future with this radio? What is the time frame for the changeover to be completed? Thanks.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I created a Favorites list on the SDS100 and on that list are only two systems. CT State Police (labelled in Sentinal as Motorola) and the newer Connecticut Statewide Emergency Radio Network (CSERN).

I also have my other scanners locked onto the same system so I know when something is being transmitted.

The other two are talking away as usual. The SDS is silent.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't have to pull a special database from somewhere? The database and firmware were updated the same day I bought the unit, so the latest version of both are on there. I am aware of the re-banding movement, but from what I have read about it the update to the database should have addressed that. I did not have any pre-existing favorites lists prior so that is a non-issue.

The vendor I spoke with where I bought it said the only advice he had is the same as all of you guys have already suggested (making favorites list, moving locations of the unit, make sure antenna is not the stock one, etc.)

If making the favorites list doesn't work (which so far it has not) then as I suspected the only other course of action is to return the unit ...

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Well, I am at my wit's end. I have created my own favorites lists, a couple of users here on RR have been kind enough to send me their favorites lists for the region in the event that I messed something up, I have tried moving the thing everywhere, and all the other suggestions that everyone here has offered me.

As of the typing of this message, it has all been for nothing. The SDS100 is simply not receiving CT State Police at all, though there are some users near me who do not seem to suffer the same issue. Whether this is a defective unit or not, I'm done. I've wasted however many days with it.

It's going back to the vendor either tomorrow or Thursday depending on when I can get to the post office.

Thank you to everyone here who has tried to help me get it working. I just wish the end result was better ...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
The system is Smartzone (with P25 voice) that is being upgraded to full P25. If you are monitoring 700MHz, you are P25. As of now, all the 800MHz sites are still SZ. Eventually they will change but for now 700=P25 system, 800=Smartzone

chris

Does that mean my other radios will have to be upgraded? The HP2 I know I can update with Sentinal, but the BCD325P2 I would have to re-create the list using FreeSCAN.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I created a Favorites list on the SDS100 and on that list are only two systems. CT State Police (labelled in Sentinal as Motorola) and the newer Connecticut Statewide Emergency Radio Network (CSERN).

I also have my other scanners locked onto the same system so I know when something is being transmitted.

The other two are talking away as usual. The SDS is silent.

Correct me if I am wrong but the database already on the system is from RR right? I don't have to pull a special database from somewhere?

The vendor I spoke with where I bought it said the only advice he had is the same as all of you guys have already suggested (making favorites list, moving locations of the unit, make sure antenna is not the stock one, etc.)
I can't help but think this is some kind of programming or location issue. Granted, if you are using the main database, it should not be tghe database, but its not impossible.

Make sure that the SDS has your correct location and desired range. For the SDS100, you are NOT hearing traffic with main database & location? But are on your HP-2 & 325P2? I have seen a handful of cases where the main database was incorrect or incomplete. These were occasions where, somewhere along the line, updates or corrections were maid on RadioReference, but for unknown reasons, those changes did not trigger an update on the main database. In other words, the changes/updates were basically ignored. On the rare instances that happened, I looked at the information in the main database in Sentinel, and found there was a difference between the HP-2 Sentinel db, and that used by the x36HP/SDS100.

Also, you might try this:

In Sentinel for your HP-2, with your location, range, and Service types set, click on the Edit drop-down menu.
Select the option to "Add channels in range". That will generate a Favorites list with what the HP-2 would be scanning with your current profile settings. Give the new list a name of your choice. 'Test', HP-2", whatever.

Now, still in Sentinel for the HP-2, click on the drop-down file menu. Select "Export to hpe file". Sentinel will ask you which list to export. Choose the 'in range;' list you just made. You'll then get a pop-up window with a listing of the systems within the list, to choose which to export. I would select all of them, but at least the Connecticut State Police ones that you are not hearing on the SDS100. After marking the systems to export, click OK to proceed to the next step.

You'll get a window to set a name for the export (the default is the name of the list you're exporting, but you can use a different name if so desired). Once you've picked the name, hit save to finish the export process, Be sure and note where the file is being saved.

Now, in Sentinel for the SDS100, click on the File drop-down menu, and select 'Import from hpe file'. Sentinel will ask you to either pick an existing list to take the imported information, or you can create a new list. Make your choice, and click OK.

At this point, Sentinel will pull up a window for you to choose which hpe file to import. If you do not see your file created in the HP-2 Sentinel, browse to the location where the file was saved. Once your exported file has been located and selected, click Open to finish the process.

In the Sentinel profile editor, for the SDS100, be sure that your imported Favorites list is set to be downloaded to the scanner, as well as monitored. Also make sure that "Monitor Full Database" is not checked (that's on the same tab as where you specify which lists are to be downloaded and/or monitored). Write the new favorites list to the SDS100 via Sentinel. (While in the Profile editor, before writing to the scanner, be sure that the same Service types as used on the HP-2 are enabled.)

Now, when scanning the imported list, your SDS100 is programmed with the same channels that your HP-2 would use. Are you now hearing things previously missed? On the scanner , press the Menu button (bottom one on the left side of the scanner). In the Menu screen, scroll to and select 'Manage Favorites'. Select your newly created/downloaded list & press E.

In the first Edit screen that appears, select 'Use Location Control'. Set Location control to "On" and then try scanning again. Are you still hearing the same expected radio traffic as your HP-2 & 325P2? If so, then something is wrong with the database in your SDS100. If you no longer hear the same channels/talkgroups, then there is an issue with your location and range settings in the SDS100.. It may not have been saved correctly, or was typo'd. Try resetting via the scanner's menu and see if that makes a difference.)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I can't help but think this is some kind of programming or location issue. Granted, if you are using the main database, it should not be tghe database, but its not impossible.

Make sure that the SDS has your correct location and desired range. For the SDS100, you are NOT hearing traffic with main database & location? But are on your HP-2 & 325P2? I have seen a handful of cases where the main database was incorrect or incomplete. These were occasions where, somewhere along the line, updates or corrections were maid on RadioReference, but for unknown reasons, those changes did not trigger an update on the main database. In other words, the changes/updates were basically ignored. On the rare instances that happened, I looked at the information in the main database in Sentinel, and found there was a difference between the HP-2 Sentinel db, and that used by the x36HP/SDS100.

Also, you might try this:

In Sentinel for your HP-2, with your location, range, and Service types set, click on the Edit drop-down menu.
Select the option to "Add channels in range". That will generate a Favorites list with what the HP-2 would be scanning with your current profile settings. Give the new list a name of your choice. 'Test', HP-2", whatever.

Now, still in Sentinel for the HP-2, click on the drop-down file menu. Select "Export to hpe file". Sentinel will ask you which list to export. Choose the 'in range;' list you just made. You'll then get a pop-up window with a listing of the systems within the list, to choose which to export. I would select all of them, but at least the Connecticut State Police ones that you are not hearing on the SDS100. After marking the systems to export, click OK to proceed to the next step.

You'll get a window to set a name for the export (the default is the name of the list you're exporting, but you can use a different name if so desired). Once you've picked the name, hit save to finish the export process, Be sure and note where the file is being saved.

Now, in Sentinel for the SDS100, click on the File drop-down menu, and select 'Import from hpe file'. Sentinel will ask you to either pick an existing list to take the imported information, or you can create a new list. Make your choice, and click OK.

At this point, Sentinel will pull up a window for you to choose which hpe file to import. If you do not see your file created in the HP-2 Sentinel, browse to the location where the file was saved. Once your exported file has been located and selected, click Open to finish the process.

In the Sentinel profile editor, for the SDS100, be sure that your imported Favorites list is set to be downloaded to the scanner, as well as monitored. Also make sure that "Monitor Full Database" is not checked (that's on the same tab as where you specify which lists are to be downloaded and/or monitored). Write the new favorites list to the SDS100 via Sentinel. (While in the Profile editor, before writing to the scanner, be sure that the same Service types as used on the HP-2 are enabled.)

Now, when scanning the imported list, your SDS100 is programmed with the same channels that your HP-2 would use. Are you now hearing things previously missed? On the scanner , press the Menu button (bottom one on the left side of the scanner). In the Menu screen, scroll to and select 'Manage Favorites'. Select your newly created/downloaded list & press E.

In the first Edit screen that appears, select 'Use Location Control'. Set Location control to "On" and then try scanning again. Are you still hearing the same expected radio traffic as your HP-2 & 325P2? If so, then something is wrong with the database in your SDS100. If you no longer hear the same channels/talkgroups, then there is an issue with your location and range settings in the SDS100.. It may not have been saved correctly, or was typo'd. Try resetting via the scanner's menu and see if that makes a difference.)

It worked, I'll be it weakly, when it was near my laptop for a while the other day. So it WAS trying to read it, and I could hear it going off on the other ones so I know it had the correct channel. It just died out again when I moved it away from that one tiny spot and hasn't come back since.

I will try what you suggested tomorrow @hiegtx , I can create a list from HP2's sentinal and import it to SDS100's sentinal relatively quickly so I'm not too worried about that.

I will post the results when I find them. However, because it did sort of work that one time before, I am not hopeful that this process will make any difference.

But, I won't know for sure until I try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It could well be that there is a radio issue. I usually test with the NOAA weather channels for VHF, various FD channels that I know the strength of and the control channel noise for the 700/800 channels. If you are comparing radio reception, try to duplicate everything from the antenna to where the radio sits. Since you can't duplicate the receiver with the radios you have, try to make that the only variable.

If you bought it from a place that you can return it to, I would suggest you go ahead and do it. You could inquire if you can swap it and try another too. It is too much money to be unhappy with it.

chris

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It worked, I'll be it weakly, when it was near my laptop for a while the other day. So it WAS trying to read it, and I could hear it going off on the other ones so I know it had the correct channel. It just died out again when I moved it away from that one tiny spot and hasn't come back since.

I will try what you suggested tomorrow @hiegtx , I can create a list from HP2's sentinal and import it to SDS100's sentinal relatively quickly so I'm not too worried about that.

I will post the results when I find them. However, because it did sort of work that one time before, I am not hopeful that this process will make any difference.

But, I won't know for sure until I try it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hopefully, it will work. If not, then you have tried every reasonable method to see if anything works, and if not, then a defective unit may be in play.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Also, is there any attenuator setting that is on? I don't own one so I can't say if they kept that capability from older units or got rid of it.

chris

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
A good test to see if you are able to hear the system (and test your antenna ect...) is to only enter the Control Channel frequency for the Zone you are trying to hear. That would be the one highlighted in red on the RR frequency page for the system. Enter it in as ANALOG, NFM, NO CTCSS . How good you hear the control channel will pretty much determine how the radio will track the system. Move the radio around with the squelch setting wide open to listen to the signal strength of the control channel data to determine how the system will be heard and how spotty it may be. Do this for all of the zone control channels within ear to your location.
Bob

MFCJR

If you are using the Diamond SRH789 with a SMA connector there is a good chance it's not sitting all the way down to make a good connection. You need a antenna made to fit the SDS100 if it's SMA. It's not the same as other scanners. Try the antenna that came with it if what you are using is not BNC.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
It could well be that there is a radio issue. I usually test with the NOAA weather channels for VHF, various FD channels that I know the strength of and the control channel noise for the 700/800 channels. If you are comparing radio reception, try to duplicate everything from the antenna to where the radio sits. Since you can't duplicate the receiver with the radios you have, try to make that the only variable.

If you bought it from a place that you can return it to, I would suggest you go ahead and do it. You could inquire if you can swap it and try another too. It is too much money to be unhappy with it.

chris

Weather does work.
Also, is there any attenuator setting that is on? I don't own one so I can't say if they kept that capability from older units or got rid of it.

chris
I'll look but I believe it was off.

A good test to see if you are able to hear the system (and test your antenna ect...) is to only enter the Control Channel frequency for the Zone you are trying to hear. That would be the one highlighted in red on the RR frequency page for the system. Enter it in as ANALOG, NFM, NO CTCSS . How good you hear the control channel will pretty much determine how the radio will track the system. Move the radio around with the squelch setting wide open to listen to the signal strength of the control channel data to determine how the system will be heard and how spotty it may be. Do this for all of the zone control channels within ear to your location.
Bob

The test list i used had just the control channels set.
If you are using the Diamond SRH789 with a SMA connector there is a good chance it's not sitting all the way down to make a good connection. You need a antenna made to fit the SDS100 if it's SMA. It's not the same as other scanners. Try the antenna that came with it if what you are using is not BNC.

I will try the stock antenna, but I know a few other people that all use the diamond srh789 with no issues

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
At this point I am going to have to chalk it up to a defective unit.

I have tried everything outlined in both this thread and the thread on the Uniden forum to no avail. I also spoke with the vendor.

There are a couple of users here relatively close to me that monitor the same talk group discussed in this thread and from what they have told me that have had no issues. And there are a couple others that stated they had similar issues as me.

I am extremely disappointed to say that I am going to send it back.

@UnidenSupport @UPMan Hopefully you guys have been following this in the event that it starts happening more often. Maybe you guys can take a look at the particular unit to test for any issues with digital decoding, etc in the chips.

Last edited:

MFCJR

It seems like you tried everything there is to do so it does sound like a defective unit. Some others have reported the same type of issues and received another unit that worked much better.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
It seems like you tried everything there is to do so it does sound like a defective unit. Some others have reported the same type of issues and received another unit that worked much better.

I am debating whether or not I want to risk having them send me a new unit or just get the refund.

Tom_G

darkness975 - I have to say that this sounds like a real disappointment...
Have you spoken with the guys at Lentini Communications in Berlin, CT to see what their experience has been?
Just a thought. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.