SDS100 and STL metro scanning questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_pena

Hello. I became a member of RR the same day I purchased the 396XT. Post 2014, having expectations of a 100% ENC future, as well as opening a business, I lost interest in the hobby.

Fast forward to the present time- turns out, there’s plenty to hear. With that, the release of the SDS100 and a lot of time on hands, I want to get back into it. I Have a few questions!

The payed upgrades for the SDS100...which ones are being used in STL metro?

For example, why spend the $ on Provoice decode if it’s not needed in the area?

Another question- I programmed the 396XT using free software and this site. Home Patrol and the 436hp(?) had “the database programmed in the dram”...”just enter your zip, and be on your way in minutes!”.

How valid, actually, what’s the difference, when the big retailers charge extra to program a county or three? As a beginner with the 396xt, I could understand, but what does the professionally programmed scanner service do? Especially If the SDS100 can acquire new groups/channels/freqs as a stand alone?

A couple of members who I still see posting now helped me our when I was a 100% ‘noob’, I remember you guys.

Apologies for a long post, and thank you very kindly for any answers in advance!

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
You dont need the pro-voice around here period. NXDN and DMR both are in use.

Unless your completely lazy or not capable, no reason to pay someone to program it for you. Plus, learning how to do it on your own will help you with updating it AND/OR programming for your needs in the future.

I unfortunately dont have the time to learn it all myself, but I think it can be achieved. Sorry, I also dont have the time to teach anyone either. Hopefully someone else will give you a more detailed answered, but this was a quick thought from me.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In most cases, paying someone else to program your scanner for you is a waste of money, and a bad idea. Start by entering your ZIP code, and scanning the database. Once you get familiar with that, start making your own favorite lists.

Michael_pena

Thanks. The comments are what I was thinking, no harm in asking.

I was learning a whole lot, then life events put a break on the nascent hobby. I’ve settled on the SDS100 with upgrades sans provoice.

Good thing is? I have many antennas, filters, splitters, adapters and so much cable from years back. I won’t have to invest in those items.

Any recommendations for a decent hardcase? I purchased the scanner masters one for the 396xt, it’s been great.

Thanks again. I’ll be posting more in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.