SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Antenna Question

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Looking at Nagoya SMA antennas, they look like they would fit directly. Anyone ever try them on the SDS100? I’m looking at the NA-701 VHF / UHF. For 700/800 coverage I have the Remtronix 820S. Just need a direct fit VHF/UHF antenna.

palmerjrusa

Looking at Nagoya SMA antennas, they look like they would fit directly. Anyone ever try them on the SDS100? I’m looking at the NA-701 VHF / UHF. For 700/800 coverage I have the Remtronix 820S. Just need a direct fit VHF/UHF antenna.
You have to be very careful purchasing antennas for the SDS100 due to the form factor of its antenna input. With most SMA male antennas the central pin won't connect to SDS100's female SMA socket.

dpm3

I use a Nagoya N-701 VHF/UHF on my SDS100. Works fine on all the bands including the local 800 trunked systems.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Some one back there was a company manufacturing knockoffs of the Nagoya’s. The packaging looked very close to the real thing. I’m not saying these knockoffs are still being sold but it pays to buy from a reputable dealer.

palmerjrusa

Some one back there was a company manufacturing knockoffs of the Nagoya’s. The packaging looked very close to the real thing. I’m not saying these knockoffs are still being sold but it pays to buy from a reputable dealer.

There are cheap handheld antennas available from eBay with packaging that looks almost identical to Diamond antennas.

Buyer beware...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Does anyone have the website for the N-701? I'd like to add it to our wiki (we have one for antennas for the SDS and xHP scanners) but all I find are sites listing the NA-701?

Thanks

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
recommend you buy a SMA to BNC adapter and use a BNC antenna. Saves wear and tear on the SMA socket (I know they should be rated for several hundred cycles, but hey....).