Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvatorejrc

I bought an sds100 about a week ago and I love it but I think it may have a battery problem. I get about an hour, not even like 45 minutes just on the battery itself and it doesn't matter what I'm scanning, while the big battery is boasted to last around 6 hours. I fully charged it to see if there was a problem and it pretty much went from full battery to 3.30 volts(where the minimum low battery warning is) in 45 minutes. I did not catch this earlier because I've been using the scanner predominantly when it was plugged in. So what's the deal with this? Bad battery bad scanner or am I missing something?

tvengr

Well Known Member
What voltage did the battery show after full charging? It should be about 4.2v . If you don't have something in the scanner drawing excessive current and the battery showed full voltage, it sounds like a battery problem. I would contact Uniden tech support and explain the circumstances.

RBMTS

Are you charging battery using the supplied cable and AC adapter? Are you charging it while the radio is off (overnight) or charging while the radio is on?

Some suggestions based on your answers above: make sure you are charging using the supplied adapter and cable. Charging through a different USB connection (say a USB hub or from a PC) has been noted to cause issues. So if you aren't using the Uniden adapter, try only that. Second, make sure to give the battery a full charge while the radio is off. You could have decreased efficiency because it has been said that the battery is receiving less of a charge current when the radio is on.

Hope it works out for you.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’d cycle the battery a few more times (fully charge and discharge only to where the radio tells you it’s time to recharge it) and see if it starts to give better results first. Then, if it is still acting up follow the pervious reply.

Salvatorejrc

I’d cycle the battery a few more times (fully charge and discharge only to where the radio tells you it’s time to recharge it) and see if it starts to give better results first. Then, if it is still acting up follow the pervious reply.
I already got scanner master to send me a new battery but I'll try it out anyway

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I charging while on selected?
(If you get the low voltage warning, this will default to off and you have to go in and re-enable it)

Ubbe

If the green lamp on the scanner turns on it means that the battery are fully charged, regardless how and with what you use as a charger. Voltage are always voltage and it is when the battery reaches full voltage that the green lamp indicates charge complete.

Batteries that are worn out or have other issues often have higher internal resistance, it goes quickly to full voltage when starting to charge and drops rapidly to a low voltage when the device starts to draw current from the battery.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.