SDS100 Buyer Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

bklynrob70

Premium Subscriber
Bottom Line Up Front: I do not recommend anyone purchase this scanner.

I bought my SDS100 new from zipscanner.com on April 9th, 2020 (Less than two months ago). Arrived on time, in new condition, all was well. Functionality of this scanner is fantastic. Programming is a breeze. Handles simulcast better than any other scanner out there. Speaker could be improved but its performance is acceptable. I want to love this thing and I did love this thing until two days ago when the volume/squelch knob broke. The scanner was not dropped, it was not banged against anything, the knob literally just broke. I contacted zipscanners via e-mail for guidance on warranty support but did not get a response back. Contacted Uniden customer support by phone and the representative asked me to send in pictures of the unit, which I did within minutes. I was informed they would have to send my case to their corporate office to get "special permission" before they would authorize warranty work. That in itself was frustrating as again, I purchased this new under two months ago, its's not a drop issue, this should be an easy warranty fix. But what's more frustrating to me is that I've now been waiting two days for Uniden Corporate to make a decision as to if they will honor their warranty. I've called the past two days and all Uniden Customer service can tell me is that they are still waiting on a decision from Corporate. I've asked to speak to a supervisor and as I type this, I've been on hold for 54 minutes. During this time I decided to see if anyone else had the same issue. I Googled SDS100 volume knob and wouldn't you know it, there are several other SDS100 owners reporting the same issue with the volume knob. This appears to be a hardware quality issue with the SDS100. Bottom line, as much as I want to love this scanner for all of its functionality, its a moot point if I can't use the scanner because of hardware failure. Add Uniden's frustrating bureaucratic customer service experience and lack of warranty support, I simply cannot recommend to anyone to spend almost $700.00 for a cheaply made scanner.

Attachments

• IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 569

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
Bought my SDS 100 the day it came out ....No broken knobs ? ......First ever knob issues I heard of ? .......All Manufacturer's will blame it on being Dropped .....unless there was a widespread broken knob issue going on. ........Maybe a shipping issue ? ..... it’s a great scanner, a must have for P25

a417

U+0000
I Googled SDS100 volume knob and wouldn't you know it, there are several other SDS100 owners reporting the same issue with the volume knob.
Of course. if you google anything you will find something supporting your belief, it's called confirmation bias.

Google Search for "lizard people at the center of the earth" returns this article about it, but that doesn't mean it's authoritative.

I'm sorry your scanner knob broke like that, hopefully you get it repaired.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Bottom line, as much as I want to love this scanner for all of its functionality, its a moot point if I can't use the scanner because of hardware failure. Add Uniden's frustrating bureaucratic customer service experience and lack of warranty support, I simply cannot recommend to anyone to spend almost $700.00 for a cheaply made scanner.

It is unfortunate that you are having this issue. While rare, a few other SDS100 owners have had this problem as well. Uniden would certainly repair this under warranty if you sent the scanner in for repair but they are not always that great at sending out or supplying certain spare parts like battery latches and control knobs. Because of this, one of the more knowledgeable members here (jonwienke) has created a 3D printed replacement SDS100 control knob. If you are not happy with Uniden's service policy on repairing this part, one option is to buy one of these replacement knobs for $10.00 USD. I know you shouldn't have to buy a replacement knob for a scanner that is still under warranty but this is an option and it is cheaper than paying to ship the whole scanner back to Uniden. Here is a picture showing the replacement knob.

To order one, go to the following page, scroll down to "Scanner Accessories", click on the down arrow to open the list, select "SDS100 Scroll Knob $10.00 USD" and click on the "Add to cart" button below it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Motorola had a defect in APX6000/6000XEs with antenna connectors shearing off. I had a brand new APX6000 issued to a deputy. The antenna got caught while he was getting up from a table, the radio never dropped or banged- the force of the antenna being bent caused the antenna connector to come out of the bushing.

Motorola had a service note about this. I sent it into the depot and they replaced the chassis. If there are no signs of physical trauma to the radio or knob, which can be easily seen by impact damage, Uniden should fix your unit under warranty.

bklynrob70

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: Five calls later as of yesterday afternoon and here is where it stands: customer service confirmed that as of yesterday afternoon, Corporate offered to send me a replacement knob, which I could then solder on myself, but if I chose to do that, it voids my warranty. This is not an acceptable solution. I want Uniden to repair the unit under warranty. Finally the representative told me Uniden could repair the unit but it could take up to 8 weeks as they are still on limited staffing and operations due to COVID-19, which I totally understand. When I asked the representative as to why they just could not agree to do that from the get go, she said she didn't know, that perhaps it was a miscommunication. I called four times previous to her, there was no miscommunication.

In the midst of this, I called the retailer (Zipscanners) to ask how I could return the unit and obtain a refund. He asked why I wanted to return it and I explained my situation. He graciously offered to replace it and I intend to pursue that route, but there is one issue. I purchased all three unlock codes from Uniden direct. The retailer told me that I would need to contact Uniden to see if they would allow me to transfer the codes to the new unit. I totally get that from the retailer point of view, this is both logical and reasonable. So, call number six to Uniden and I'm told "We will submit your request to corporate, it might take until the end of next week." Now mind you, the Uniden customer service representative confirms they can see that I've purchased all three unlock codes in their system.

So for now, I'm in limbo mode. I do not want to pursue a swap out with the retailer at this point because I don't know if Uniden will approve transferring the unlock codes; and as you are all well aware, those codes are expensive.

For those who are telling me this should be fixed and just follow the instructions. I'm here to tell you, I've done that. The summary I've shared with you is my personal experience. You can agree or disagree on the reasons for which I am frustrated. For those of you who feel compelled to tell me that your knob didn't break, that's fantastic. Mine did break, on a new unit under warranty, and I'm sharing my experience with you.

Bottom line for me, Uniden's customer support truly sucks. This isn't my first rodeo, I understand that when any product is massed produced, a small percentage will make it past QC with defects. But the fact that their customer service team does not seem to be empowered to make any decisions on simple warranty support and it takes days for someone at corporate to make a decision is just sad. And the inconsistency between customers services reps (we need corporate approval vs. we don't need it) is a major waste of time. A company's commitment to backing their warranty is just as important as the quality of the product they manufacture, especially when that product runs 650 bucks, not counting the cost of the unlock codes.

Will provide an update next week on the status of transferring the unlock codes.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: Five calls later as of yesterday afternoon and here is where it stands: customer service confirmed that as of yesterday afternoon, Corporate offered to send me a replacement knob, which I could then solder on myself, but if I chose to do that, it voids my warranty. This is not an acceptable solution. I want Uniden to repair the unit under warranty. Finally the representative told me Uniden could repair the unit but it could take up to 8 weeks as they are still on limited staffing and operations due to COVID-19, which I totally understand. When I asked the representative as to why they just could not agree to do that from the get go, she said she didn't know, that perhaps it was a miscommunication. I called four times previous to her, there was no miscommunication.

In the midst of this, I called the retailer (Zipscanners) to ask how I could return the unit and obtain a refund. He asked why I wanted to return it and I explained my situation. He graciously offered to replace it and I intend to pursue that route, but there is one issue. I purchased all three unlock codes from Uniden direct. The retailer told me that I would need to contact Uniden to see if they would allow me to transfer the codes to the new unit. I totally get that from the retailer point of view, this is both logical and reasonable. So, call number six to Uniden and I'm told "We will submit your request to corporate, it might take until the end of next week." Now mind you, the Uniden customer service representative confirms they can see that I've purchased all three unlock codes in their system.

So for now, I'm in limbo mode. I do not want to pursue a swap out with the retailer at this point because I don't know if Uniden will approve transferring the unlock codes; and as you are all well aware, those codes are expensive.

For those who are telling me this should be fixed and just follow the instructions. I'm here to tell you, I've done that. The summary I've shared with you is my personal experience. You can agree or disagree on the reasons for which I am frustrated. For those of you who feel compelled to tell me that your knob didn't break, that's fantastic. Mine did break, on a new unit under warranty, and I'm sharing my experience with you.

Bottom line for me, Uniden's customer support truly sucks. This isn't my first rodeo, I understand that when any product is massed produced, a small percentage will make it past QC with defects. But the fact that their customer service team does not seem to be empowered to make any decisions on simple warranty support and it takes days for someone at corporate to make a decision is just sad. And the inconsistency between customers services reps (we need corporate approval vs. we don't need it) is a major waste of time. A company's commitment to backing their warranty is just as important as the quality of the product they manufacture, especially when that product runs 650 bucks, not counting the cost of the unlock codes.

Will provide an update next week on the status of transferring the unlock codes.
Don't hold your breath on getting the codes transferred. Not likely to happen, as the scanner you would be returning to Zip's has them, so if & when it is repaired, whoever purchases it will be able to use them. There is no way to remove the upgrade once it has been applied.

This has been asked a number of times in the past, including to UPMan before his long, ultimately unsuccessful, battle with cancer. The answer, always, has been no refunds on the codes as they cannot simply be "transferred".

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but unless Uniden suddenly changes policy, your only options are to either install the knob yourself, or send it in for repair.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Upman had stated previously (and I assume that means Uniden) that upgrade keys can be transferred to a unit returned to the dealer under waranty if the dealer replaces it with another one. You may need to supply your original proof of purchase.

Read #3 here:

Read #3 here:
I'm sure you know this, but to direct someone to a particular post, you can just right-click on the post number

And COPY its address.

Like this:

Kaleier1

In the midst of this, I called the retailer (Zipscanners) to ask how I could return the unit and obtain a refund. He asked why I wanted to return it and I explained my situation. He graciously offered to replace it and I intend to pursue that route, but there is one issue. I purchased all three unlock codes from Uniden direct.

The retailer told me that I would need to contact Uniden to see if they would allow me to transfer the codes to the new unit. I totally get that from the retailer point of view, this is both logical and reasonable. So, call number six to Uniden and I'm told "We will submit your request to corporate, it might take until the end of next week." Now mind you, the Uniden customer service representative confirms they can see that I've purchased all three unlock codes in their system.

First of all thank your luck stars and hats off to Zipscanners for offering to replace 2 month old scanner when their return policy is only 14 days. They have every right to tell you to go through warranty service with Uniden. That's great customer service.

Second, enough with the transferring of the codes. Stop trying to get them transferred by getting a bunch of people involved to jump through hoops for you. I never heard of anyone getting them transferred. The proper and easiest procedure is to get a refund for the codes on the returned scanner and then repurchase them for the new scanner. All you need is proof that the scanner was returned and to make the request on the Uniden website. The advantage to this is that you can immediately buy the codes for the replacement scanner without waiting. Then in about a week you will get a refund on the codes for the returned scanner. I have done this and it works. If for some reason it didn't you may be within the window to dispute the key upgrade charge with the credit card company you used to buy the upgrade key.

I would definitely take Zipscanners up on their very generous offer. Not sure if they have to eat the cost but it may be that they just report the return to Uniden as defective and Uniden will have to issue them a credit. Let Uniden eat the cost for how they treated you.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm sure you know this, but to direct someone to a particular post, you can just right-click on the post number

And COPY its address.
Like this:

Yes, Exactly what I did. Links seemed to be doing strange things for a few minutes there... when I first clicked on your link, it took me to Scanner Master!

Kaleier1

Don't hold your breath on getting the codes transferred. Not likely to happen, as the scanner you would be returning to Zip's has them, so if & when it is repaired, whoever purchases it will be able to use them. There is no way to remove the upgrade once it has been applied.

This has been asked a number of times in the past, including to UPMan before his long, ultimately unsuccessful, battle with cancer. The answer, always, has been no refunds on the codes as they cannot simply be "transferred".

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but unless Uniden suddenly changes policy, your only options are to either install the knob yourself, or send it in for repair.
This totally false and even Paul said proof of return of the scanner was all that was needed to get a refund on the codes. I have done it. I returned an SDS2000 scanner with the DMR upgrade due to a popping noise in the speaker at the beginning and end of every transmission. Simply waited to get confirmation of the return and uploaded that proof along with my request for a refund of the DMR code at the Uniden website and was refunded in a week.

Uniden doesn't transfer codes but they do refund and you can just repurchase for the replacement scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.