SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Car Installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpohlad

Premium Subscriber
I've seen some photos of folks using the RAM finger mount with a base of sorts. Curious what everyone is using to mount their SDS100 in their vehicle.

laneends

I have been using a cheap magnetic phone mount. It uses adhesive to mount to my dash, and has an adhesive metal plate I stuck to the back of the radio. Works pretty well for my needs, and I have yet to have the radio fall when hitting potholes.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have mounted my scanner using a lido floor mount like this one

It is out of the way and very stable
I love that idea and bought one of those BUT, I have plastic shrouds over the nuts holding the seats down. The covers are large enough that I can't push the receiver slot under the nut to install the unit. I solved the problem by buying an SDS200. :)

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber

cpohlad

Premium Subscriber
Your mount is what I am going to base mine on!

raf1919

curious but does the scanner have to be positioned vertical? if antenna is not straight up will it impact reception, if have it more horizonal? wondering if if I should get the a Rem 830 so that I can position it vertical.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
curious but does the scanner have to be positioned vertical? if antenna is not straight up will it impact reception, if have it more horizonal? wondering if if I should get the a Rem 830 so that I can position it vertical.
You're always going to get optimal reception with a vertical antenna. If you're mounting in a car, an externally mounted antenna will work best, and radio orientation will have no bearing on reception.

raf1919

You're always going to get optimal reception with a vertical antenna. If you're mounting in a car, an externally mounted antenna will work best, and radio orientation will have no bearing on reception.

ok thanks for confirming. I will probably just get the Rem830 to start since it can be angled vertical despite radio which will lay close to flat on my center console maybe like 15deg tilt. I just made mistake of buying tiny car, and will be looking at larger soon so dont want to invest the time into ext antenna.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
The shell of the car is going to prevent a lot of signals from coming into your radio, hence the external antenna. If mounting an eternal antenna is out of the question, you may want to try this, as a friend of mine had some success:

You can also try this:

Some folks have had success with this:

A very long time ago, I had some success with this:

The REM830 inside the car near the center console will not perform as you expect.

cwhill

Premium Subscriber
I built my radio mount from Ram Mount components. Pricey but worth every penny IMO. Here’s my holder for the SDS100 in my truck.

Attachments

• DF0A3869-434A-4BEB-A9FE-27C793413A7D.jpeg
    DF0A3869-434A-4BEB-A9FE-27C793413A7D.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 269AE06C-D35F-433E-BA54-52A3C707A925.jpeg
    269AE06C-D35F-433E-BA54-52A3C707A925.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 240
  • D18A2F54-CE92-4E04-AB3A-EE5C171B695C.jpeg
    D18A2F54-CE92-4E04-AB3A-EE5C171B695C.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 221

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Inside or out matters more (to me) outside of 700-800 MHz where I agree outside is better. That said 80% of the greater middle TN PS is trunked and the Remtronic antenna does fine with reception and makes it easier to take in and out of my Taco. Mounted using one of the goose-neck mounts secured via the front seat bolt. Use split tubing to keep wire in line.
I opted not to go with outside antenna as already have a ham antenna thru the roof mounted. Plus I take the 100 in and out with some regularity so one less "wire" to detach. I may look at one of the above options for road trips. I was wondering how well the windshield mounted one worked. Jon and others encourage using a heavy duty USB cable with 24 ga wiring. My 100 was having issues with sufficient power and switching to the higher gauge USB increased input voltage to the radio by 0.5 V which cured the issue.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I use a cupholder cell phone mount that I purchased from Weather Tech and it is very sturdy and reliable. I have a few of their products including a desktop cell phone holder. Great quality, not cheaply made, and works well for me.

The shell of the car is going to prevent a lot of signals from coming into your radio, hence the external antenna. If mounting an eternal antenna is out of the question, you may want to try this, as a friend of mine had some success:

You can also try this:

Some folks have had success with this:

A very long time ago, I had some success with this:

The REM830 inside the car near the center console will not perform as you expect.
I use that Spectrum Force antenna in my semi truck with fantastic results. I just sit it on the right side of my dashboard under the windshield. Regardless of what the "experts" on here said about it when I posted about it several months ago I'm the one who listens to the scanner every day on the road and know how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.