SDS100 Case, Leather and, Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

bberns22

In an attempt to identify a suitable holster for my SDS100 I discovered something interesting. With the sound output of the radio somewhat lacking I was concerned that any obstruction would further diminish audio output. But after some experimentation I was pleasantly surprised to find that this particular case did not reduce sound output but in fact increased it while also improving intelligibility. It appears that the the heavy leather is directing all the sound forward, smoothing out the frequency response and, making audio significantly louder with more midrange tonality. I am wondering if others have have noticed any improvements in audio when using a case?

IMG_0830.jpg

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
In an attempt to identify a suitable holster for my SDS100 I discovered something interesting. With the sound output of the radio somewhat lacking I was concerned that any obstruction would further diminish audio output. But after some experimentation I was pleasantly surprised to find that this particular case did not reduce sound output but in fact increased it while also improving intelligibility. It appears that the the heavy leather is directing all the sound forward, smoothing out the frequency response and, making audio significantly louder with more midrange tonality. I am wondering if others have have noticed any improvements in audio when using a case?

View attachment 94108
I’m using the thick leather holster that Uniden either makes or markets for the SDS100 and although it does provide reasonable protection from various impacts that aren’t super intense, it does change the acoustics, somewhat. That doesn’t come as any great surprise to me but I’m beginning to wonder if cutting out the supposedly protective plastic cover for the keyboard might change things a bit. I wonder if anyone’s actually done it and then regrets having done so because it didn’t end up making any difference. I realize cutting out the plastic sounds a bit ghetto, especially if nothing is actually gained by doing so but I just thought I’d throw this out to see if anyone’s done it followed up by a giant piece of humble pie! TIA.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber

Hello, bberns22.

What kind of a case is that, and where did you find it?

Thanks!

-Johnnie

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 94108
What holster is this? Looks like a Motorola?

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a link to the holster? Or at least tell is where you got it and what radio it was designed for.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I’m using the thick leather holster that Uniden either makes or markets for the SDS100 and although it does provide reasonable protection from various impacts that aren’t super intense, it does change the acoustics, somewhat. That doesn’t come as any great surprise to me but I’m beginning to wonder if cutting out the supposedly protective plastic cover for the keyboard might change things a bit. I wonder if anyone’s actually done it and then regrets having done so because it didn’t end up making any difference. I realize cutting out the plastic sounds a bit ghetto, especially if nothing is actually gained by doing so but I just thought I’d throw this out to see if anyone’s done it followed up by a giant piece of humble pie! TIA.
PSX_20201119_090233.jpg

I always cut the window out of any case on every radio I have and never regretted it. It gets rid of all of the reflection especially from a lumpy window like the Scanner Master nylon case here. Sound works fine.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
SDS100 with Case - Resized.jpg
I'm using the caseguys.net leather case from ScannerMaster. I, too, pulled the threads and removed the plastic, which was covering the holes. I think it made a little bit of difference in the sound...

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I have one of the Scannermaster heavy leather cases on one of my GRE radios and a nylon one on the other. Both have survived drops to concrete floors without damage to anything but the antennas attached to them. With the leather case, it survived literally being thrown down a flight of stairs onto a concrete sidewalk when I started to drop it, and tried to catch it and swatted it down instead. It broke the duck off it, but did no damage to the radio itself.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Could you please post a photo of the rear of the case?
Thanks.

I'm using the caseguys.net leather case from ScannerMaster. I, too, pulled the threads and removed the plastic, which was covering the holes. I think it made a little bit of difference in the sound...

Status
Not open for further replies.