SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Close Call Only No Audio..

walter900

Hi,

The other day I had a friend come over to check out my sds100 scanner.. His service radio is on UHF High nothing special or digital. I set the radio to “Close Call Only” mode and made sure all bands were selected. Every time he keyed the mic and spoke the Close Clall Display would jump up but without breaking audio??? When I hit Scan mode with Close Call and the scanner started scanning every time he keyed the mike and spoke the radio locked on and the audio was immediately heard….. His frequency is not programmed in. This is all from Close Call. What am I doing wrong here?? Why can’t I hear the audio in Close Call Only mode?? Tnx!

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

The other day I had a friend come over to check out my sds100 scanner.. His service radio is on UHF High nothing special or digital. I set the radio to “Close Call Only” mode and made sure all bands were selected. Every time he keyed the mic and spoke the Close Clall Display would jump up but without breaking audio??? When I hit Scan mode with Close Call and the scanner started scanning every time he keyed the mike and spoke the radio locked on and the audio was immediately heard….. His frequency is not programmed in. This is all from Close Call. What am I doing wrong here?? Why can’t I hear the audio in Close Call Only mode?? Tnx!
His radio transmits on the repeater input frequency, you are scanning the repeater output frequency (the site frequency). Typically, UHF has a 5MHz difference between repeater input (456.1234) vs output (451.1234). Scanners listen on the output frequency.

BTW its not a good idea to key a radio up near your scanner, you can overload the scanner's front end end receiver components.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
His radio transmits on the repeater input frequency, you are scanning the repeater output frequency (the site frequency). Typically, UHF has a 5MHz difference between repeater input (456.1234) vs output (451.1234). Scanners listen on the output frequency.

The scanner will try to tune to the output freq if Repeater Find is set to on in the Search/Close Call settings. Repeater Find Marks Scanners

If Repeater Find is off, and the scanner is close to the source, the scanner will receive the input. My 200 picks up inputs to my fd when they are within 3 blocks of my house.

These 3 tabs are all related to Close Call. @walter900 , what do yours look like?

1671457809386.png

1671459066033.png

1671459119118.png

walter900

Thank you so much!! The repeater find was set to Off… I now have it set to On. 😊

walter900

Did that fix the issue?

Hi, I’m waiting for my friend to have time to come back and re-test.. I hope so as the repeater option was indeed off.. I will post the results for sure. I know the audio works in “close call only” mode as it picks up nearby radio stations and you can hear the audio as soon as it does. Thank you.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I posted my settings for you to see the three screens involved with close call. If its set to on, its going to try to tune to the output repeater freq. I do not believe you would receive that in Close Call if your not real close to the repeater. You should however, with that setting set to off, you should have received the input freq that your friends radio was transmitting.

walter900

I posted my settings for you to see the three screens involved with close call. If its set to on, its going to try to tune to the output repeater freq. I do not believe you would receive that in Close Call if your not real close to the repeater. You should however, with that setting set to off, you should have received the input freq that your friends radio was transmitting.

Oh, so it should be set to off????? What I don’t understand is why close call in scan locks on super fast and you can hear the audio??? What else could I try when in close call only mode?? I have to wait for my friend to retest…. However, from what I remember, in close call only mode every time he keyed the mike the level indicator jumped up to the top just never broke audio??? What else can I try… I have the broadcast screens set to offf…… And I can’t seem to find those settings in my sentenial?? Just database, favorites, read send to scanner and update.. Tnx!

wtp

i will quote someone on here since close call works.

"if it is not broken, fix it until it is."
so just leave it alone before you burn it out.
also if the radio is that close the radio could cut the volume down (AVG) until you can't hear it.
maybe have him go a couple of hundred feet away.

Ubbe

... every time he keyed the mike the level indicator jumped up to the top just never broke audio???
It should only show that signal bar for a split second and should then switch to the closecall display where it only shows the frequency and modulation mode and not any signal bars. That's the mode where you get the audio. It never really catches and display the frequency in closecall only mode?

There's no setting that I know of that could be unique to closecall only mode and not used in closecall DND or Prio mode while scanning. It has to be a bug then? What firmware version are you using?

/Ubbe

walter900

Hi, I was on firmware 1.10 at the time.. I’m on 1.21 now but haven’t retested due to the holidays and my friend not being around. The frequency is 458.1625.

walter900

Did that fix the issue?
Yes, my friend came back over… Several issues why it was not working. I had to turn “global auto filter” had to be set to “Off” under “scan mode” to fiix CC in scan mode then do the same under “Srch/CloCall Opt” and change “Set filter” to “Auto” to fix CC in CC only mode… Then I set CC “Delay Time” to -10… All close call hits now come in instantly loud and clear. I’m using “DND (Do not Disturb)” as there is no audio drops during normal scan conversations… Working great… Thanks to everyone who helped out. :)

Last edited: