SDS100 Colored Text VS Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Does having the text in multiple colors on the SDS100 affect battery life? It seems like the battery drains faster in color mode than the white text with black background.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's a good question, I've had my 100 on white text black background since the day I first programmed it. If I had a guess I would think it would take more juice but probably not that much.PSX_20190504_002248001.jpeg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Mine seemed to drain pretty quick when I switched it randomly one day. Honestly B&W mode is best since I can see it the best. I am playing with color modes on my SDS200 though, but with that it's irrelevant since it's always plugged in.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I know for a $600+ scanner, with such an awesome display, it would be such a waste to use a black and white display, when the color display can be so vibrant and beneficial.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Maybe it was just a glitch the last time I posted about this. I have been unplugging the SDS100 and running it on battery a bunch of times since that date and it has been more or less the same as always.

It's possible that I might have been distracted that night and lost track of time lol.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I know for a $600+ scanner, with such an awesome display, it would be such a waste to use a black and white display, when the color display can be so vibrant and beneficial.
I find with my eyes the white text on a black background as shown in post 2 is much easier to see. Also uncluttering the screen makes it easier for me to see what I am monitoring.

That's what's cool about it, it's so customizable and everybody has their own preferences. There certainly is a lot of choice.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I find with my eyes the white text on a black background as shown in post 2 is much easier to see. Also uncluttering the screen makes it easier for me to see what I am monitoring.

That's what's cool about it, it's so customizable and everybody has their own preferences. There certainly is a lot of choice.

I agree I do like the black background with white text. I currently have mine set to black background with blues and reds for text , no highlighting. And simple view instead of detail view for the display.

Bob1955

Maybe it was just a glitch the last time I posted about this. I have been unplugging the SDS100 and running it on battery a bunch of times since that date and it has been more or less the same as always.

It's possible that I might have been distracted that night and lost track of time lol.
darkness, how do you like it compared to the BCD-325P2 and does it work/perform better on CSP? And is the audio/sensitivity better too?

darkness, how do you like it compared to the BCD-325P2 and does it work/perform better on CSP? And is the audio/sensitivity better too?

I do love the BCD325P2.

The sds100 and sds200 do perform better on the CSP. Especially because someone sent me a custom favorites list that they tweaked a little bit. What is bizarre is that if I bring the BCD325P2 a half a mile up the road it starts to receive the CSP with the information from the radio reference database. For whatever reason, the CSP channels from the RR database do not come in from home. The only way that I can hear them is with the SDS100 and SDS200 running the custom favorites list.

If it was a reception issue then you would think that it would not work at all. But I will not even attempt to try to understand why it is the way it is, I'm just happy that with the SDS series I can at least hear the CSP.

When I searched Google I came across this site and one of the forum members has a programming book. I am hoping he will see my plea. Thank you for the good wishes.

Is there a way to contact a member directly?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's just the way simulcast is. It's not signal strength that's the issue, it's the phase relationship between multiple signals. In tests I've done, going from one end of a Wal-Mart parking lot to the other made the difference between silence and perfect reception comparing a 436 to a SDS100. The SDS100 didn't care where it was, but the 436 definitely did.

What is bizarre is that if I bring the BCD325P2 a half a mile up the road it starts to receive the CSP with the information from the radio reference database
I use the 325P2 on the CSP system with no problems. I am close to HQ and have no Simulcast issues here.

Sorry you had to dump $700 X 2 just to listen. :D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
That's just the way simulcast is. It's not signal strength that's the issue, it's the phase relationship between multiple signals. In tests I've done, going from one end of a Wal-Mart parking lot to the other made the difference between silence and perfect reception comparing a 436 to a SDS100. The SDS100 didn't care where it was, but the 436 definitely did.
I use the 325P2 on the CSP system with no problems. I am close to HQ and have no Simulcast issues here.

Sorry you had to dump $700 X 2 just to listen. :D

In my case it's not simulcast issues, at least not from my home location. If I use the "full database" which has the frequencies from RR, it will not work on the SDS100 or SDS200 any more than on the BCD325P2. But the custom Favorite's list does work using it on the 100 and 200. Most unusual, but as I said earlier, through luck and fate I can hear them from home on those two units so I won't complain.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
So what is different about the FL vs the DB?
@WoodburyMan can explain it better , it's his list. But as far as I know the only difference is everything except the control channel was removed from each system.

Though I tried creating a list on FreeScan for the 325p2 this way and it still didn't work so maybe something else was also done to the list. If he sees I tagged him here he will respond.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
@WoodburyMan can explain it better , it's his list. But as far as I know the only difference is everything except the control channel was removed from each system.
That wouldn't account for the difference. Scanning the voice channels has negligible impact on scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.