SDS100 compared to SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
What are the main differences between SDS100 and the new SDS200. I was ready to purchase the new radio and then I got to thinking, I really like the SDS100 why put the money down for a new radio if it does not offer any more than the scanner I have now.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
What are the main differences between SDS100 and the new SDS200. I was ready to purchase the new radio and then I got to thinking, I really like the SDS100 why put the money down for a new radio if it does not offer any more than the scanner I have now.

There isn’t much difference you get a bigger screen lan connection and it’s not as mobile not worth 700 to me when I already have the 100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
There may not be a lot of differences, even though there definitely are differences like the LAN connection and the bigger screen, but some people want a base radio and some a handheld. And then there are people like me that want both.

I am glad for the larger screen because I am legally blind and I am stuck at my house most of the time. I realize I fall into a small group but I like having a base radio that just sits there and is hooked up to a computer and an outside antenna. I'll be putting a lot less wear and tear on my SDS100 or even my Unication G5 if I have a dedicated base radio hooked up to my outside antennas. It's definitely not a cheap thing to do and is more or less $2,000 to own a setup like those three receivers. But with the bigger screen, it would make it much easier for me to see and therefore be able to use my scanner faster. And with the proper software, and I'm trying to learn about ProScan but they won't email me back, I could have the radio display sent to my big screen TV and be able to listen in the living room rather than have to be sitting at a computer.

If there's one thing I hate the most it's hearing something and not being sure what channel it was on. I set my replay on my SDS100 to 60 seconds. So I do have a way to go back and see what I miss but at the same time I miss what is currently coming over the radio also when I have to do that. Plus, if you're already recording you can't go back and check what you might have missed until you stop recording. It might not be the radio, and I'm talking about the SDS200, for many people but it is definitely something I would like to have.

I also was comparing the latest Whistler radios to the Uniden SDS200 and SDS100 and Whistler just didn't have what I wanted or a way of programming that made sense to me. I'm not knocking Whistler and they sound like they do a decent job for most who have one. But Uniden has the edge not only in features but also in the look and display in my opinion.

So yes, I definitely would like to have the new base model as long as it works right and I have no problems with it :) I guess it's just a matter of taste, opinion, and needs or wants in an individual that determines the criteria for needing or wanting one.

And one last point I would like to make is this. I don't know if this will be the case in the new base scanner or not? But in past scanners, and I've had many over the 40-years of scanning, the base models usually have better sensitivity and selectivity making them better receivers. I can't say whether or not this will be the case here but I imagine it could be. I guess time will tell...

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
There may not be a lot of differences, even though there definitely are differences like the LAN connection and the bigger screen, but some people want a base radio and some a handheld. And then there are people like me that want both.

I am glad for the larger screen because I am legally blind and I am stuck at my house most of the time. I realize I fall into a small group but I like having a base radio that just sits there and is hooked up to a computer and an outside antenna. I'll be putting a lot less wear and tear on my SDS100 or even my Unication G5 if I have a dedicated base radio hooked up to my outside antennas. It's definitely not a cheap thing to do and is more or less $2,000 to own a setup like those three receivers. But with the bigger screen, it would make it much easier for me to see and therefore be able to use my scanner faster. And with the proper software, and I'm trying to learn about ProScan but they won't email me back, I could have the radio display sent to my big screen TV and be able to listen in the living room rather than have to be sitting at a computer.

If there's one thing I hate the most it's hearing something and not being sure what channel it was on. I set my replay on my SDS100 to 60 seconds. So I do have a way to go back and see what I miss but at the same time I miss what is currently coming over the radio also when I have to do that. Plus, if you're already recording you can't go back and check what you might have missed until you stop recording. It might not be the radio, and I'm talking about the SDS200, for many people but it is definitely something I would like to have.

I also was comparing the latest Whistler radios to the Uniden SDS200 and SDS100 and Whistler just didn't have what I wanted or a way of programming that made sense to me. I'm not knocking Whistler and they sound like they do a decent job for most who have one. But Uniden has the edge not only in features but also in the look and display in my opinion.

So yes, I definitely would like to have the new base model as long as it works right and I have no problems with it :) I guess it's just a matter of taste, opinion, and needs or wants in an individual that determines the criteria for needing or wanting one.

And one last point I would like to make is this. I don't know if this will be the case in the new base scanner or not? But in past scanners, and I've had many over the 40-years of scanning, the base models usually have better sensitivity and selectivity making them better receivers. I can't say whether or not this will be the case here but I imagine it could be. I guess time will tell...

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Agreed with Brian, I like the convenience of having both a base station connected to outside antenna and computer, and a handheld for when I run an errand. My health keeps me close to home as well, and I do like the solid connection of a base station radio to an outside antenna and able to control on the computer (I love me some ProScan). When my SDS200 gets here I will then be using up all 8 ports on my Stridsberg multi-coupler, but I can mix and match with my other antenna in a pinch. I also await the new Whistler scanner(s) to see if any new bells and whistles justify another purchase. Anxiously awaiting my Icom R8600 - tracking info shows Friday delivery - so I think my annual radio budget is already blown, kaput. That's ok, because it will probably take me a year to figure out these radios hi hi.

I do like base station radios more than portable HTs, and that's probably because I spend more time monitoring at the desk. I do think that Uniden has it all over Whistler when it comes to looks and design, and now performance on the 7-800mhz P25 simulcast systems, so Whistler's new scanner will have to really blow me away to want to order one. I understand their looks and ergonomics will be the same in the TRX series, so the performance reviews and comparisons will have to really be above average to fantastic for me to buy one. Plus, I am rapidly running out of room on my cramped little desk here lol. But, as always, I am a firm believer that you can never have too many radios :)

JD
kf4anc

gillham

Feed Provider
I'm not sure if this is stating the obvious...

Battery vs No Battery (if you're not a fan of the battery clip issue)
SMA w/ BNC Adapter vs BNC
GPS dongle w/ adapter cables vs GPS dongle with just RJ11
Portable vs Mobile/Base
No WiFi/Internet vs Ethernet (Maybe WiFi?)
MicroSD under battery vs MicroSD on the front
IPX4 Weather Rating vs None
'Flat' buttons/keypad vs Raised buttons/keypad
Potentially something different about headphone vs ext speaker/headphone - I haven't been tracking that though.

mule1075

Feed Provider
In all honesty You cannot compare something that has not been released yet with something that has. I know we have information on the 200 but trying to compare it to the 100 without a side by side comparison is futile in my opinion.

Reactions: TGP

tumegpc

In all honesty You cannot compare something that has not been released yet with something that has. I know we have information on the 200 but trying to compare it to the 100 without a side by side comparison is futile in my opinion.

Comparisons are done all time with new automobiles, cameras, phones and just about any electronics followed by a hands on review.

phask

Premium Subscriber
And are basically irrelevant and a guessing game before the hands on review.

having both (SDS100 and SDS200) , reception wise no discernable difference.
Audio similar to all the desk models (536,996P2).
GPS uses small "phone cable" module
Wired ethernetAnything else?

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider
having both (SDS100 and SDS200) , reception wise no discernable difference.
Audio similar to all the desk models (536,992).
GPS uses small "phone cable" module
Wired ethernetAnything else?
Nope that says it all. Now that we have a side by side comparison. Thanks

teknishun

One of the main issues for me is that the SDS200 has a larger and more powerful speaker than the SDS100.
As a mobile unit it can better be heard over all the road noise, AC blower, etc. You have to turn the volume
on the SDS100 up way loud to hear clearly in a vehicle and that eats up the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.