SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Control Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smstng4004

Has anyone had issues with trunked systems after the most recent database update? It appears when on site hold, the unit will no longer stay on the primary control channel thus nothing is heard unless a transmission occurs on a frequency the SDS100 was currently tuned to.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Did you look in RR itself, to see if the system in question is either highlighted in green (within 24 hrs), or yellow (within a week)? Basically, if there were not any changes (to the systems you have in your favorites), updating the database will make no changes. You can always look at your county's downloads and reports tab, to see the chronological list of ALL changes that have been made.

Also, REMEMBER, updating the database will NOT update any favorite list information. It would only immediately effect scanning from the database. You have to actually append to a favorite (or manually edit) to change a favorite list.

Smstng4004

The system appears to have been updated on RR within the last week. This issue occurs in both the favorites list and full database list. I reset the SDS100, rebuilt the database in Sentinel with no luck.

Smstng4004

It appears the issue resolved itself after about one hour. Not sure what happened. Thanks for the help nessnet!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The system appears to have been updated on RR within the last week.
Welcome to the RR forums! Can you please post the Radioreference database link to the system in question? If you manually tune to the listed control channel via direct entry, you have indeed verified it is the correct control channel? If DMR/MOTOTRBO or NXDN then the proper LCNs need to be entered to track the system properly. Too many unknowns which are difficult to fill in without knowing specific system info

Last edited:

Smstng4004

Palmetto 800 Trunking System, Various, South Carolina - Scanner Frequencies..... In particular is the Richland County Simulcast/Richland. On closer inspection, I tuned the scanner directly to the primary control channel (860.3375) and received dead air. What I did notice however, while the radio was bouncing around frequencies, once it landed on a frequency with voice traffic, the radio seemed to attach to the control channel and stick to it after the transmission. So, I'm not sure if this is a site issue or software issue. I'm beginning to think the database update was just coincidental.

wtp

Richland County Simulcast
i was just looking for the word simulcast.
maybe the radio is having a bit too much of a problem with reception.
try moving the radio around to help it.
yes, the radio is known for its great handling of simulcast, so i am hoping that you found the worst spot in the world for the radio.

Smstng4004

It definitely appears to have resolved itself. We did have some weather in the area, so that may have been an issue as well. I appreciate everyone's insight / help!

donc13

Premium Subscriber
It definitely appears to have resolved itself. We did have some weather in the area, so that may have been an issue as well. I appreciate everyone's insight / help!
Don't forget, if you just program in a single control frequency and one site (tower) if that tower goes offline for any reason, you will get nothing until it comes back online.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i do not have a 100, but you would hope that it puts in all the freqs and not just he control and alternates.
If appending via Sentinel (either version, for the HP-1/-2, or x36HP and SDS series scanners), all site frequencies are in the appended site. While I see comments suggesting that you remove all the frequencies except primary/alternate control channels, I leave all of them in. The rare times that creates an issue is if you happen to be in range of more than one site that uses a specific frequency. But with the SDS100 & SDS200, you can specify the NAC code for the site, eliminating the issue. The memory available on the Home Patrol series (Uniden database) scanners is, for all practical purposes, unlimited. You have a 1 meg size limit on each Favorites list, but you can have up to 254 lists. I doubt anyone has ever come close to actually bumping that limit unless they have multiple duplications, and were trying to program a significant portion of all the systems in the database.

For the older scanners, such as the object oriented GRE/Whistler models without the database (PSR-500/-600, WS1040/WS1065, and their RadioShack labeled siblings), that have a limited number of objects that can be programmed in one file, you may need to enter only the primary & alternate control channels to maximize your available memory.

Reactions: wtp
Status
Not open for further replies.