SDS100 cutting out digital transmissions while plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joegagnejr

Has anyone else noticed that the SDS100 seems to cut off digital transmissions when it is plugged in and charging? I’ll start to receive a transmission and a few seconds into the transmission the transmission becomes garbled or it cuts out completely.

When I unplug the radio and run it off it’s battery it seems to eliminate the problem.

Could it be possible that the charging function causes enough RF interference to cause this?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Is the radio in the same place and position (standing up or lying down)? It could be that when charging you’ve placed the scanner in a dead spot...

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
That blows that theory... maybe a different wall wart might make a difference. Does it misbehave when the battery is fully charged and plugged into the charger? Or does it only happen when the battery is still charging? You might try a different wall wart...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're using the rubber duck antenna, attaching the cable changes the ground plane and can affect signal strength. With an external antenna connected via coax, charging makes no difference at all.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What are you using for a charger the FACTORY WALL PLUG?
Try a different charging source do you have one of these PowerCore Essential 20000{12229596197}_{116039376166}_{495749035084}&gclid=CjwKCAiAg8OBBhA8EiwAlKw3kkj4beNhu2ZcU1SS4k0qBOyJFO5o5tYgYycyUrb9nOL3OWs6BvJKiBoCQdgQAvD_BwE
They produce no NOISE like a WALL WART PLUG.

Ubbe

I’ll start to receive a transmission and a few seconds into the transmission the transmission becomes garbled or it cuts out completely.
When you plug in the cable the scanner takes all power from that source and not at all from the battery. The USB cable needs to have sufficient power to both run the scanner and charge the battery, 1,5A, which needs a 2,1A type of USB or wall wart and a suitable cable for that kind of current.

Do a test and turn volume down to 0. If you the display set to only turn on when calls are active then turn that off and turn display completly off and raise volume slightly so you just can hear if the sound gets garbled or cuts out.

It should report that USB voltage are too low but it might be loosing performance before that happens.

/Ubbe

joegagnejr

I've tried different wall warts and cables. Everything from using the wart supplied with the SDS100 to using the wart that's used for iPad charging. No difference in performance. When the transmission cuts out or is muted the screen is still lit up as I have the screen set to illuminate when the transmission breaks squelch. When it appears to cut out the transmission I still see the signal strength showing full strength signal being received.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
What happens when you set charge while on to Disable?
Also do you digital error rate turned on anywhere on your screen? Might be interesting to have that enabled and see what your digital error rate is while its plugged in, then unplug it quickly and see if it changes..

Ubbe

There's a lot of birdies in the scanner, like any other SDR dongle receiver. It makes it impossible to monitor some even frequencies like 156.000 and 142.000 and 468.000 The most ones appear in the 800Mhz band but some of them dissapears when the display turns off.

SDS100 interferencies

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.