SDS100 Delay Time & Broken Transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter2

Good Morning - Does anyone seem to know the difference between the negative seconds and positive seconds in Set Delay? I have not noticed anything different with transmissions?

Secondly, Most of the time I receive full transmissions, but on occasion there have been times where I only hear the ending, beginning, or it starts out clear then turns into a muffle. Is there a way to improve this or is it just a flaw with the device?

Thank you for your time.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A negative delay will force the scanner to resume scanning after the delay time, even if a call is in progress. It guarantees interrupted traffic.

Is there a way to improve this or is it just a flaw with the device?
Check your "HOLD" times.

This is the amount of time that the scanner stays on a channel "listening" before scanning on.

If the scanner is occupied on one channel,it will miss transmissions on other channels during that time.

Dexter2

Check your "HOLD" times.

This is the amount of time that the scanner stays on a channel "listening" before scanning on.

If the scanner is occupied on one channel,it will miss transmissions on other channels during that time.

I've tried HOLD at 0, 2, 60, and 255. I've tried Delay at 5 seconds, 10 seconds, and 30 seconds. It still happens I figured it would just be a flaw. The NOISE is from 100's to 400's and RSS is between -40 and -55, though mostly -45.

I've read on here that other scanners could pick up transmissions perfectly while this one would be dead silent sitting next to it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's a way of combating "long winded" radio talkers and resume scanning. Like so many options, it was probably easier to add, so they did it, even though a small number of people use it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've tried HOLD at 0, 2, 60, and 255. I've tried Delay at 5 seconds, 10 seconds, and 30 seconds. It still happens I figured it would just be a flaw. The NOISE is from 100's to 400's and RSS is between -40 and -55, though mostly -45.

I've read on here that other scanners could pick up transmissions perfectly while this one would be dead silent sitting next to it.
It's generally the other way around.

Hold should be 0. Delay should be no more than 5 or 10 seconds. The default is 2, but that means the scanner often resumes scanning in the middle of a conversation, if someone takes more than 2 seconds to reply.

-40dBm is a pretty hot signal, have you tried turning on attenuation?

What system are you having trouble with?

Dexter2

It's generally the other way around.

Hold should be 0. Delay should be no more than 5 or 10 seconds. The default is 2, but that means the scanner often resumes scanning in the middle of a conversation, if someone takes more than 2 seconds to reply.

-40dBm is a pretty hot signal, have you tried turning on attenuation?

What system are you having trouble with?

Is a hot signal bad?

When I applied Attenuator and also various filters, I lost connection to the signal and the NOISE number went through the roof average 20,000's.

So far I've only experienced it with my local transit agency. The nearby police comes in crystal clear.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Its possible to overload the receiver with too much signal, but if attention doesn't help, that's not likely the problem.

Don't know about your transit system, but in DC they have the worst radios I've heard anywhere on the metro trains.

And if other systems are coming in fine, your scanner is less likely to be the problem.

Dexter2

For instance - at this moment I can't receive any police/fire but transit is coming in good. There is no signal and the NOISE and RSSI are very high for the police/fire. But, if I switch the filters and attent. won't that affect the transit?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Filters can be set per frequency. Attenuation is global IIRC.

Ubbe

Thank you, I wonder why someone would want that.
The only use I have for a negative delay are when I do a band search and record everything unattended. Then it doesn't stop forever on an interference or a control channel but long enough to note what are discussed in a conversation.

/Ubbe

Dexter2

The only use I have for a negative delay are when I do a band search and record everything unattended. Then it doesn't stop forever on an interference or a control channel but long enough to note what are discussed in a conversation.

/Ubbe

Learn something new everyday, thank you!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I use a negative delay on Dallas Fire Rescue's station dispatch channel. It's an automated female voice, and sometimes she repeats hersel several times, dispatching the same units to the same incident over & over.

Dexter2

I use a negative delay on Dallas Fire Rescue's station dispatch channel. It's an automated female voice, and sometimes she repeats hersel several times, dispatching the same units to the same incident over & over.

Wow really, automated voices now.

Status
Not open for further replies.