SDS100 demo in Maryland

baybum

Hello all. Is there anyone in Howard County that can show me their SDS100? I'd like to look it over and see how easy it is to use before I buy one.
Not as sharp as I was when I was younger :) I can go to Baltimore County, AA or Northern PG if necessary.
I live in Howard.
Thank you. I'll buy you lunch and a beer.
Please PM me with contact info.

Thanks,
Mike

scottymcneill8657

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever used a BCD436HP? Operation-wise they are basically identical. I have one (down towards the middle of Calvert county) and it works great. Recommend NOT using the zipcode programming feature on radio and just doing it yourself using sentinel (it loads in way too much otherwise.)

tvengr

Well Known Member
Have you ever used a BCD436HP? Operation-wise they are basically identical. I have one (down towards the middle of Calvert county) and it works great.
The OP's county and surrounding counties all use simulcast sites. Anything other than a SDS100 or SDS200 would be a waste of money. You are extremely lucky if your scanner works at your location. The BCD436HP and SDS100 are operationally very similar but the simulcast decoding capability of the SDS100 is infinitely better than any other scanner.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I definitely would NOT recommend a 436 in the DC / Balto metro area - all public safety is trunked and simulcast. Almost all is P25, and the two remaining SmartZone systems will transition to P25 by the end of 2024. I have a SDS100 that uses Favorites lists and GPS based scanning since I am on the road constantly. The Favorites lists allow you to modify the sometimes-ridiculous talk group labels contained in the RRDB / Sentinel database (it's an ongoing process, lol.). All I do is turn it on and drive - I rarely touch the radio except to adjust the volume. Anyone considering this radio needs to be comfortable with using Windows computers because you will need one to program the radio - doing it by hand would be frustrating, and tbh, the radio itself is not built for constant "touching."

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Actually Sentinel can be run in other apps besides Windows - see our FAQ for more...you will need a Windows version to make it work though for the Apples

Mike
I would add that those who attempt to program these radios by hand probably don't have a computer at all (or are just plain masochists, lol). You can run Sentinel successfully with Intel Macs with additional software (not sure about the M1/2s that I use,) and maybe even Linux via Vine, but Sentinel is a Windows program.

atlong

Database Admin
Update...I got the SDS100 and it works great. I'm learning it. Creating fav lists and all is good.
I have favorites for all counties starting from Washington County across to Cecil if you're interested. Mostly because I travel between Harpers Ferry, WV over to Baltimore and sometimes up I-95 out to Havre de Grace. SDS100 works great in the car with an old mag mount cell phone antenna with the right connector.

PCPA

SDS100 works great in the car with an old mag mount cell phone antenna with the right connector.
With most systems nowdays being very similar to cellular phone systems there is very little advantage to running an external antenna.

When I first got an SDS100 I could place it beside my GI portable and receive identical coverage from inside the vehicle with just the Remtronix antenna. The only benefit of the external was occasionally snagging a transmission from a system two counties away.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I run my sds in a cupholder, no problem. Since I only listen to public safety and most everything in the region is 700/800, the Remtronics 800 antenna is more than adequate. It also works satisfactorily with the few 450 band systems in WMd, VA and WVA.

doctorwizz

Feed Provider
Listen to a trunked broadcast on PC with stereo audio with SDRTrunk. Light years ahead of these scanners. Calls are que'd so you don't miss a call during busy times. Audio is much clearer too.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Can't go mobile with a PC, at least conveniently. I can and do use rugged laptop, but SDS100 with GPS is more practical when portability is desired.