SDS100 Favorite List Help for Forsyth County

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccg_ga

I'm fairly new to scanning with the SDS100, but I have put in a lot of time recently to learn about how setup favorites lists recently and was hoping to get some input on what I am currently using to monitor Forsyth County. I live in the south part of Forsyth, not far from the Collection off Exit 13.

I'm hearing some traffic, mainly from the FCSO dispatch but not as much as I had expected to hear. I am aware that the FCFD is encrypted.

Here is my current setup in Sentinel - if the text is too small to read I can paste a PDF as well:

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 1.32.02 PM.png

I have mainly been monitoring the talk groups on the Cobb Regional Radio system. I have a Diamond MR77S (144/430 - probably not ideal for a trunked system) on a mag mount on the metal roof with the coax running inside.

So the two questions I had are:
1) Does this favorite list structure look correct for Forsyth County?
2) Am I missing any systems or frequencies I should be monitoring?
3) Can I remove or avoid the Bartow, Cobb, Cobb Jail, and Douglas Simulcast sites without impacting reception for Forsyth County traffic?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
While I'm not in your county, or state, your setup for Forsyth County appears to be good.

As far as the sites go (maybe someone in Georgia will comment further), I doubt that you would hear Cobb Jail at all. And, even if you did, probably what you'd hear would be limited and of little interest.

From where you indicate you are, I would be somewhat surprised if you could hear the Bartow or Douglas County sites. Unless there is something in either one of those counties that you really wanted to hear, I would simply ignore their sites and any talkgroups linked to those two counties.

The Cobb County simulcast might be monitorable from your location, either with your current antenna, or one more tuned to 700/800 MHz frequencies. But, again, if you do not care to monitor that county, then I would not worry about changing the antenna in use. If there are talkgroups for Cobb that you'd like to monitor, then leave the Cobb Simulcast in your system, along with Forsyth's simulcast & see how that goes.

ccg_ga

While I'm not in your county, or state, your setup for Forsyth County appears to be good.

As far as the sites go (maybe someone in Georgia will comment further), I doubt that you would hear Cobb Jail at all. And, even if you did, probably what you'd hear would be limited and of little interest.

From where you indicate you are, I would be somewhat surprised if you could hear the Bartow or Douglas County sites. Unless there is something in either one of those counties that you really wanted to hear, I would simply ignore their sites and any talkgroups linked to those two counties.

The Cobb County simulcast might be monitorable from your location, either with your current antenna, or one more tuned to 700/800 MHz frequencies. But, again, if you do not care to monitor that county, then I would not worry about changing the antenna in use. If there are talkgroups for Cobb that you'd like to monitor, then leave the Cobb Simulcast in your system, along with Forsyth's simulcast & see how that goes.

Thanks for your reply. I removed the sites for Cobb, Bartow and Douglas and that increased the scan speed so I am hearing more of the traffic for the FCSO. I set it to just scan the Forsyth channels on the Cobb Regional Radio System.

As far as the antenna goes, I do need to look into one that is tuned for 700/800. I have a stub Remtronix antenna, but I'm guessing that it won't receive as well since it isn't outside.

I appreciate the help!

N8IAA

VHF was the king 20 years ago. Then they went analog trunking. Now digital.

When they went digital, they encrypted. I was going to buy either a G4/5, or a SDS100. Encryption saved me a ton of money.

What you hear on the dispatch TG's are then moved to one of the 'E' TAC TG's.

No more FD, Cumming PD, and all the interesting chat that used to be heard.

The most active TG is on EVENT 4. You'll hear both sides of the conversation. But, it is limited to basics.

Hope you didn't buy the SDS just to hear Forsyth Co.

ccg_ga

VHF was the king 20 years ago. Then they went analog trunking. Now digital.

When they went digital, they encrypted. I was going to buy either a G4/5, or a SDS100. Encryption saved me a ton of money.

What you hear on the dispatch TG's are then moved to one of the 'E' TAC TG's.

No more FD, Cumming PD, and all the interesting chat that used to be heard.

The most active TG is on EVENT 4. You'll hear both sides of the conversation. But, it is limited to basics.

Hope you didn't buy the SDS just to hear Forsyth Co.

I've been scanning the Sheriff talk group over the past 2 days and have heard plenty of dispatch on Patrol 1 North and Patrol 2 South. I did figure out that they were moving over to one of the encrypted channels from dispatch. So much for that.

No, I bought the scanner for several other uses outside of Forsyth. Since I live in the county I wanted to see what I could pickup.

I just set the scanner to Event 4 to see what I can hear.

N8IAA

Sorry. EVENT 4 is only active during the summer when Forsyth, Hall, and DNR are on Lake Lanier. Otherwise quiet.

You'll want to put in the Hall 911 system into the scanner (different FL). Backup 2 is the one Forsyth uses.

ccg_ga

Sorry. EVENT 4 is only active during the summer when Forsyth, Hall, and DNR are on Lake Lanier. Otherwise quiet.

You'll want to put in the Hall 911 system into the scanner (different FL). Backup 2 is the one Forsyth uses.

Got it - I saw that on another post when I was searching around for info on the Cobb RRN.

On the Hall P25 system it is 'Hall County Interop' TG > Backup 2 - correct?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.