SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Firmware 1.02.05a for Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
P25 systems holding on site with good signal, but RSSI indication blanks and many comms are missed.

Results: Appears to be fixed.

Links: Ohio MARCS-IP - Various sites

Discussion: Although, I only noticed this when I initially programmed the scanner and had all kinds of problems. After going through all of the settings, my issue with comms missed had to do with location settings and using location. I don't normally use location settings and thus disabled location based scanning. Works fine. I don't know that the firmware fixed it as much as me correcting my settings.

With a ducky antenna I can copy the Jefferson Co Simulcast (site 3-001) of Ohio MARCS-IP from the middle of an adjacent county with 100% decode. It sounds beautiful. And this with an RSSI of 100 or worse on the ducky.

One thing I do notice, and this is just particular to most trunked sites being nearly out of range for me when using ducky from my location -- With the Open Beta firmware I have to adjust squelch to "1" to pick up the sites, which causes any conventional channels without PL/DPL to stop on noise. If I switch to squelch of "2" it no longer stops on conventional frequencies that do not have traffic but I lose the marginal trunked systems. Probably nothing can be done about this other than for me to actually acquire a better signal.

If I use my Yagi, I can pick up 6 or seven MARCS-IP sites (including Jefferson Co Simulcast) as well as Canton/Stark County Moto Type II analog/digital simulcast and Tuscarawas Co Moto Type II analog simulcast with ease, no issues whatsoever. With the increased signal strength from using the Yagi, I can scan with squelch of "2" without issue.

Inconsistent backlight operation

Results: Appears to be fixed

Links: Various P25 / Moto Type II sites

Discussion: I never noticed the issue on the older firmware, and I don't see any issue with Open Beta. The backlight appears to be working just as Paul described it should, and my results are similar to kikito's.

I am 100% pleased with the performance of this scanner. P25 Simulcast sites sound as good or better than standalone P25 sites. I have yet to see any decoding behavior that even remotely resembles that which would occur on a scanner not designed to handle LSM.

Mike

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Here's a new one!

This doesn't fall under any of the current issues, so I'll post it here. Turned the scanner on this morning and it locked up on a System that I didn't have activated (System 32) . When I turned the scanner off last night and put it on charge, I only had 1 system active (System 11). I tried all the tricks I know, shut it down etc. but System 32 would not clear the display. Fortunately I was home so quickly cleared all the favorites via Sentinel, and scanner returned to normal. I'm suspecting the SD card because of programming, but want to put it out here to see if anyone else had this happen? Using 8GB SD card supplied with scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
P25 phase1 simulcast still has many misses and catching end of transmissions.

system:https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9433

This test was holding on dispatch only.

Were you holding on a site, or just the talkgroup?

If you only hold on a talkgroup, the scanner will continue to scan all sites within range looking for traffic on the held talkgroup, and if the talkgroup is not broadcast from all sites being scanned, you will miss traffic.

A better test is to hold on a site.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Jon this is SIMULCAST site.3 towers simulcast
There is NO holding on A site correct.

Were you holding on a site, or just the talkgroup?

If you only hold on a talkgroup, the scanner will continue to scan all sites within range looking for traffic on the held talkgroup, and if the talkgroup is not broadcast from all sites being scanned, you will miss traffic.

A better test is to hold on a site.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Jon this is SIMULCAST site.3 towers simulcast
There is NO holding on A site correct.

I missed that. :(

If there is only one site in the system (even if it is a simulcast site with multiple transmitters) then a channel hold is sufficient.

But if there are multiple sites listed (each with their own set of frequencies, so they are listed and scanned separately), then you need to explicitly hold on a site, or the scanner will alternate among available sites, even if holding on a talkgroup or department. That can cause the scanner to miss traffic.

Apologies for the confusion.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
James/Jeff: Some have reported that setting site hold time to 1 second is improving similar issues. Not a fix, but would help to know if doing so helped on that system. You'll need to put the system in a FL if it is not, already, and edit the site hold time from 0 --> 1 second. Let me know if that has any effect (positive or negative).

ems170

Feed Provider
Tested Against:
1. P25 systems holding on site with good signal, but RSSI indication blanks and many comms are missed.
2. SmartZone with CAI voice

Results:
1. Some improvement
2. some improvement, not fixed

Link(s) to system(s) checked:
1. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7196
2. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=832

Discussion: (describe how you tested/what specific results were for each item you checked)
The unit was tested with a Motorola 7/800 antenna through a double male SMA adaptor. The conditions matched the tests performed and documented in the CT missed transmission thread. The unit was placed on site hold. The 436 was tested next to it to ensure activity was present. Units used the same type of antenna and were connected to the same power source. Both units were the same distance from any potential sources of interference.

1. The CT P25 system had some transmissions decoded.
2. The SZ system showed some improvement with the beta software. More transmissions were decoded, but still, probably 30% were missed or delayed to not knowing what the message was. RSSI was fairly stable and strong. The noise level was relatively low. Ofen the TG would display on and off on the screen with no audio.

Log File(s):

Attachments

• sz-p25 log.zip
    162.7 KB · Views: 7

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
If it was possible, probably is, could we please add a, what i guess you’d call a backlight “Delay” option, where you set the backlight to stay on x about of time after a transmission

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
If it was possible, probably is, could we please add a, what i guess you’d call a backlight “Delay” option, where you set the backlight to stay on x about of time after a transmission

I am hoping they get to perform this way as well, the way it is set up now is somewhat backwards. If I set the delay for 15 seconds I would like the display to stay on for 15 seconds instead of the way it turns off after every transmission now. I am sure this will be addressed in a future firmware upgrade, hopefully.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I am hoping they get to perform this way as well, the way it is set up now is somewhat backwards. If I set the delay for 15 seconds I would like the display to stay on for 15 seconds instead of the way it turns off after every transmission now. I am sure this will be addressed in a future firmware upgrade, hopefully.

Couldn’t agree more

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's no value to anything greater than squelch plus channel delay. Once the scanner has resumed scanning, the backlight won't help you see who was talking.

Add a "scan paused" setting after "open squelch", in which the backlight is on when the scanner is not actively scanning. That would accommodate channels with long delay settings, but not run the backlight pointlessly after resuming scan from a channel with a short delay. It would also allow you to manually extend the backlight on by pressing channel hold.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
no help been using 1 sec.Now one thing maybe i am still confused what i call a site.
this HOLD setting is under edit sys option,Set Hold time.
if i check edit Site that is NOT where hold setting is?

QUOTE=UPMan;2952503]James/Jeff: Some have reported that setting site hold time to 1 second is improving similar issues. Not a fix, but would help to know if doing so helped on that system. You'll need to put the system in a FL if it is not, already, and edit the site hold time from 0 --> 1 second. Let me know if that has any effect (positive or negative).[/QUOTE]

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Jeff: You posted to the wrong thread.

1 set of frequencies = 1 site, regardless of how many towers there are.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
what i thought i was answering your post number 49 that said to jeff try hold 1 sec.
Sorry if i crossed post
Jeff: You posted to the wrong thread.

1 set of frequencies = 1 site, regardless of how many towers there are.

Drumbum

I loaded this for our p25 Harris system.,dramatic improvement. I did notice that sometimes it misses the first second of a TX, also occasionally it will miss a TX and it will not get the entire TX even though it had time to scan back through. But will catch the very next reply,, tweak these 2 things and I think you'll have it,, on another note, how will we know when the latest sentinel update will superceeds the beta, I'm assuming that the next higher # will have this tweak incorporated?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.