SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Firmware 1.02.05a for Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkowalik

Banned
Copy error or file system error, probably has nothing to do with the SDS100 other than it is the target device.

Delete file, download and try again. If that doesn't work try another SD card. You might have to use the clear user data option in sentinel to setup the folders on the SD card. If you don't have another card use the clear user data on your existing card. You may need to reformat your SD card.

Good luck.

I tried redownloading, clearing user data, reformatting and it still gives the checksum error.

I'll just wait until the update is released on Sentinel. Thanks for the help.

fmulder13

Drove through an area of town that I hadn't yet tested. In short, atrocious results. Garbled audio, flashing talk groups with no audio, missed comms, RSSI going between -45dbm to nothing for extended periods of time.

This site:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=10819

Going up and down Hiawatha Avenue in Minneapolis between 46th street and downtown Minneapolis.

I really hope this can be addressed with firmware tweaks. I'm happy to help, but the SDS was incredibly disappointing today.

Attachments

• log1374258.zip
    97.8 KB · Views: 11

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
1. P25 systems holding on site with good signal, but RSSI indication blanks and many comms are missed.

Vastly improved with the Beta Firmware. I am getting close to 100% decode rate and it is not missing as many transmission's as the public release Firmware was. My problem was not with the radio but with the stock antenna which is horrible. Major improvements using the Beta Firmware and third party antenna. UPMan nothing really fits this scanner antenna wise without the BNC adapter if you guys could cook up some band specific SMA antennas that fit this unit that would help users a lot!

Monitoring Starcom21 system in IL. 700/800MHz

2. EDACS system missing many comms.

I don't not have any EDACS systems left in my area or I would test this for you. Unfortunately all EDACS systems around me have migrated to P25 Trunked Systems. I wish I could help more.

3. Some Harris P25 systems missing many comms.

I can test against one I know of when I go back to work next week but I have been reading good things about the performance being improved in this thread. Again sorry I cant help with this everything surrounding me in my area is owned by Motorola. Those Bastards!

4. Inconsistent back light operation

Back light seems fine to me I really don't like the way it is set up to work, I would really rather see it hang on for X amount of seconds after a transmission and I hope that you implement it that way or at least add an option for it to operate that way.It would be much appreciated because when there are a bunch of short comms it basically just flashes on and off with the transmissions again I hope you can at least make a option available for it to hang for fifteen seconds instead of turning off after 15 seconds.

What I found through testing the radios this week-

After much testing I found that my issue with conventional channels was the stock antenna and not the radio or firmware I could do a debug log for but I am almost positive all you would see is low RSSI values as the cause. Using a Watson 801 Regular Gain antenna I am seeing vast improvements on conventional reception even more so when connected to my rooftop discone antenna. If you want I can get a debug log for you from the Starcom system but as I said I am getting great reception with the new firmware. Thank you to UPMan and the Uniden Engineers (sounds like a band name to me :cool: ) for all of your hard work the SDS100 is a great radio and I cant wait for a base/mobile version to hit the shelves.

Also I should mention that these results were gained from mobile use using a spectrum force magnet mount antenna and a Watson 801 antenna while portable as well as the stock antenna (the Watson kicked its butt) and a rooftop discone at my home that showed the best results of course.

vikingegfd

Premium Subscriber
Installed this update without any issues, Albany NY P25 systems are now 100% better. thanx. Starting to think nice thoughts about this radio.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Is this firmware supposed to make any changes to receive quality for VHF? I installed it last night and was listening to it before I installed it and right after turned it on and it seems like my VHF receive was much better in addition to better receive of P25. I say this because there was hardly any traffic on VHF right before I installed it, so I'm not sure if it was coincidence or if there was also a tweak to the analog.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It improves weak signal reception. The original firmware squelched out a lot of receivable signals on digital and analog.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Weak signal reception. Cool. I had interpreted that it was just for digital.

fmulder13

Drove through an area of town that I hadn't yet tested. In short, atrocious results. Garbled audio, flashing talk groups with no audio, missed comms, RSSI going between -45dbm to nothing for extended periods of time.

This site:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=10819

Going up and down Hiawatha Avenue in Minneapolis between 46th street and downtown Minneapolis.

I really hope this can be addressed with firmware tweaks. I'm happy to help, but the SDS was incredibly disappointing today.

Quick update on this-I drove the same area this morning, holding the same site, with the attenuator on. That improved things greatly. Not 100%, but clearer audio and fewer missed comms. Thus, it seems my issue was more related to interference.

I'll give kudos for calibrating the attenuator such that it is usable without obliterating all incoming signal.

seth21w

Ive got a log file but its to large to upload or even zip file to this uploader. Multiple comms without any light coming on and many blinks of backlight. Please let me know how to get these to you upman.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Post a link to dropbox or your cloud drive. Also specify what system and site you were monitoring when the log was recorded.

Drumbum

Ok,
I have been using the firmware this week on regular commutes in the vehicle,,last night I noticed a couple of things that may be of interest,, it was in the 90s all day so that means I got the USB voltage low that I had been getting all week and had to pull the USB so it would scan,,. On the way home the city police got engaged in a chase, the 100 was scanning that Harris system and 1 analog and the state system, the G5 picked up the chase but the 100 never stopped on the system the whole time. So I forced it to hold that system to catch the rest of the Chase, it was missing 50% of the comms, so when I stopped at a stoplight that happens to be in a very bad simulcast spot (436 is deaf in the area) I was watching the display. More than one unit on different channels were talking at the same time and the 100 seemed to be having a hard time deciding wich one it wanted to lock on to, It kept going through them on the display rapidly but not locking, this may be something that can be looked into and tweaked ,,as far as when I had it scanning the 3 different systems. When I got in the car this morning I released the system hold and let it scan freely again, it was a cool 70 degrees outside. The radio stopped on the system multiple times on scan through where it didn't last night, I'm thinking the heat was a factor Changing the way it scanned, maybe a heat test would be in order,, anyway these are my 2 observations that may or may not be of use to Upman

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It kept going through them on the display rapidly but not locking, this may be something that can be looked into and tweaked

There is a firmware bug where under some circumstances, the scanner will see control channel data indicating that a transmission is in progress, but when it switches to the voice channel, an error occurs and it switches back to the control channel almost immediately. So while the transmission is in progress, the scanner will oscillate back and forth between the voice and control channels until the transmission ends.

I saw it happen on the Washington County MD system, but it only happened on one sheriff talkgroup--other calls on fire and EMS worked normally. I didn't have a chance to get a log, and the scanner stopped doing that after missing 3 or 4 transmissions on the one talkgroup. :(

Drumbum

There is a firmware bug where under some circumstances, the scanner will see control channel data indicating that a transmission is in progress, but when it switches to the voice channel, an error occurs and it switches back to the control channel almost immediately. So while the transmission is in progress, the scanner will oscillate back and forth between the voice and control channels until the transmission ends.

I saw it happen on the Washington County MD system, but it only happened on one sheriff talkgroup--other calls on fire and EMS worked normally. I didn't have a chance to get a log, and the scanner stopped doing that after missing 3 or 4 transmissions on the one talkgroup. :(
Yes, that is exactly what it was doing

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

tkowalik

Banned
Finally got it to work by removing the SD card and putting it back in.

After the update, I've noticed that EDACS Provoice seems 'jittery' for lack of a better word. SAUA P25 system seemed very clear before the update and now sounds slightly muffled but still much clearer than the 436. GCSO NXDN is crystal clear - hands down the clearest system I scan. WCSO conventional P25 is about like the SAUA system. The only conventional analog channel I scan is WCSO and I haven't heard much unless the stars are aligned. It is very broken with static but the repeater is on the far end of the county and there's a lot of topography between where I am and the repeater.

The SDS100 is, so far, meeting my expectations. I think there's room for improvement but I don't seem to be having the issues others are having.

W2ER

Premium Subscriber
Tested Against: Inconsistent backlight operation

Results: Problem still persists.

Link to tested system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7308

Discussion: As suggested I pulled the system from the database, and kept all default settings. I set all sites to Avoid except Monroe East Simulcast. The System Hold Time is 0 and the Talgroup Delay is 2. I scanned for all known talk groups. The problem I am seeing is the backlight does not light at all on about 30% of transmissions. I have good audio but the backlight either fails to light at all, or is delayed by 5 or more seconds.

Attachments

• log0052590.zip
    34.9 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.