SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Firmware/Library Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Firmware, probably, since the last release was 2+ years ago. Database, definitely not, that is updated weekly.

You recently asked a similar question about the charge state of the battery. Please understand that the scanner may have been sitting in a warehouse for weeks or months, depending on where you purchase it from. You are going to need to charge the battery and do updates when you receive it. Pretty standard practice when purchasing a new scanner.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Does the SDS100 ship out with the latest firmware and updated US database with the library?

Simple enough to check and do using Sentinel. Takes only a few minutes. I find most scanners are due for a firmware update and definitely due for a database update when purchased.

The SDS series might be the exception as the firmware hasn't been updated for so long.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Good Afternoon

Does the SDS100 ship out with the latest firmware and updated US database with the library?

Thank you

M
Most all of the Uniden database/Home Patrol series scanners ship with a database that is months. if not years, out of date,That's also the case with Sentinel- when first installed, it's database is also probably out of date as well.

While the scanner's firmware might be current, it's still to your advantage to get Sentinel installed, then update it's database, Then, write the updated data to the scanner, as well as check for any needed firmware updates just in case your scanner had been gathering dust on a back shelf before being shipped to you.

Ubbe

The SDS series might be the exception as the firmware hasn't been updated for so long.
There are new firmware for both SDS and x36 released just a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't add any functionality but has some fixes if you now are running anything lower than 1.26.14

Uniden doesn't tell you what those 14 updates consists of as they do not change any functionality to the user but they should all be improvements. The firmware 1.28.14 have been changed to also be compatible with new hardware.

/Ubbe

MStep

There are new firmware for both SDS and x36 released just a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't add any functionality but has some fixes if you now are running anything lower than 1.26.14

Uniden doesn't tell you what those 14 updates consists of as they do not change any functionality to the user but they should all be improvements. The firmware 1.28.14 have been changed to also be compatible with new hardware.

/Ubbe

Oops--- did I miss something ? Uniden's firmware pages seem to be a mess--- do you have a link to whatever was released several weeks ago? Thanks.

a417

U+0000
Some time around the beginning of October, they pushed out a housekeeping update (sans new features), and then it looks like the twiki was fat-fingered...as you're right - it's a hot mess.

When last accessed dates start showing the Unix epoch, someone done goofed up.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My SDS200 firmware is as follows:

MAIN: 1.10.08
SUB: 1.02.01

Sentinel says it's current and does not need updating.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber

usmiladim

Most all of the Uniden database/Home Patrol series scanners ship with a database that is months. if not years, out of date,That's also the case with Sentinel- when first installed, it's database is also probably out of date as well.

While the scanner's firmware might be current, it's still to your advantage to get Sentinel installed, then update it's database, Then, write the updated data to the scanner, as well as check for any needed firmware updates just in case your scanner had been gathering dust on a back shelf before being shipped to you.
Thanks Kindly

usmiladim

Simple enough to check and do using Sentinel. Takes only a few minutes. I find most scanners are due for a firmware update and definitely due for a database update when purchased.

Appreciate It!

spikestabber

Firmware, probably, since the last release was 2+ years ago. Database, definitely not, that is updated weekly.

You recently asked a similar question about the charge state of the battery. Please understand that the scanner may have been sitting in a warehouse for weeks or months, depending on where you purchase it from. You are going to need to charge the battery and do updates when you receive it. Pretty standard practice when purchasing a new scanner.

lol the SDS200 I just bought with recent serial number had an old db from 2018, they likely just use some old sdcard image, if it ain't broke. The subfirmware was outdated (without added filters) however the main firmware was current, weird.

MStep

lol the SDS200 I just bought with recent serial number had an old db from 2018, they likely just use some old sdcard image, if it ain't broke. The subfirmware was outdated (without added filters) however the main firmware was current, weird.

Where you able to use Sentinel to update all the firmware and database?

spikestabber

Where you able to use Sentinel to update all the firmware and database?
No problems at all, it only updated the sub cpu when I performed the update, and then I had all the filter options.
I was mainly confirming the db they ship seems to be horribly outdated for what they consider preloaded.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
No problems at all, it only updated the sub cpu when I performed the update, and then I had all the filter options.
I was mainly confirming the db they ship seems to be horribly outdated for what they consider preloaded.
The DB version on the SD card is usually very old. Many times it's the same version that was available when the particular scanner was first shipped. I guess they assume most users will do update checks out of the box.

For firmware, there were a couple versions where just the main or sub version had changed from a prior version but not both.

awhitej2002

I wish they would come out with one for the SDS100. A patch to correct the analog VHF sensitivity and detecting a transmission instead of skipping past it would be nice. It's almost like Uniden forgot about this radio.

spikestabber

Analog & Digital VHF is almost deaf on SDS when you have high power FM radio stations nearby, any urban/suburban area will be heavily impacted, if you hear lots of background hiss on analog, (think louder tape hiss), or loud picketing popping noises while driving around, then thats likely what is ruining the VHF sensitivity. I figured this out on my mobile SDS setup when driving out of the city, doesn't take very long for P25/analog 140mhz stuff to come through again. This is made significantly worse if you use band specific antennas that have significantly higher VHF gain. An FM trap is a must in this case.

spikestabber

I don't know why these SDS scanners don't have a good switchable FM attenuator built-in, a real one with physical coils, do you normally listen to WFM drivel we call music on your scanner? There are a ton of switchable filters on the SDS front-end board already, I seen them, have yet to see anyone on here photograph them or schematic them out however, or how they physically work...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Not very many other than you are claiming this. I have 2 SDS100's and 1 SDS200 working side by side sharing the same antenna system beside 7 536's 2 436's 8 996P2's 2 325P2's 4 15X's 1 TRX-1 TRX-2 and my SDS's hold their own at my location 1 mile from AM radio station 5 miles 2 FM radio stations 1/2 mile cell phone tower. 30 foot ST-2 STRIDSBERG multicouplers.

Status
Not open for further replies.