Sds100 gps issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvatorejrc

I am trying to use the gps that I bought with my sds100 and when I put in a range, it complete ignores it and just scans whatever it wants even if its outside of the range I set. I'm pretty confident that it's just scanning the full database. Any fixes to this?

(I'm aware that I put this in the wrong forum)

tvengr

Well Known Member
What range did you set? You don't want more than about 5 miles. The range you set is added to the range already programmed in the database.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
It is confusing....
Each RR entry (dept, site, etc) has GPS coordinates - AND a range (default is circle). This is the info the radio uses. Basically, if within the circle (when you have things set correctly) it scans that dept/site. Outside the circle (rectangle), it does not.

The RANGE setting itself is not the same thing. What this setting does is tell the scanner how precise to be, so to speak. basically, it adds this number to the dept/sites GPS info.

For instance, because I have programmed much more precise info in my favorites (rectangles vs circles) I set my range to 0. So, the radio only switches when I cross that item's boundary I have programmed. If I had set it to 1, it's switch 1 mile before the boundary, etc, etc....

tvengr

Well Known Member
You are in a pretty populated area with a lot to scan. Try turning off all of the service types except law dispatch, law tac, fire dispatch, fire tac, EMS dispatch and EMS tac.

marksmith

You should have your range set to zero when using GPS unless you want to scan a lot of stuff out of range. If you want to scan just what is in range using gps, the range should be set to zero.

There are a lot of good explanations of range and what it means in different places on this forum. Also circular propagation of signals from systems. Your radio and GPS are probably working fine. You need to read more about what range means and how the radio uses range, which has nothing to do really with what the gps is doing. Range is a radio database function and only slightly related to having a GPS connected.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Chiming in a little more . . .

The GPS device "tells" the scanner where it is. It then takes that location and looks at all the systems/sites/departments programmed into the scanner, including the ranges that that been assigned for those systems/sites/departments via the database. If the location falls within that assigned range, then an attempt to scan the system/site/departments is made.

The range that you program via the keypad is kind of an "extender" for the assigned ranges. So if you program 10.0 miles as the range via the keypad and you have a system/site/department that has a range of 30.0 miles, your scanner would attempt to scan that as much as 40.0 miles away.

New users can easily get confused by this range/location stuff, particularly since range is used in two different contexts.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I notice you have also posted this in the Uniden forum too. We should ask the moderators to close this thread.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
This may be outdated info but thought it worth passing along...

Maybe it’s working but it’s not noticeable because your entries all have the same coordinates.

This may have changed for Connecticut, I don’t know for sure but it seemed RR listed all towns within the same county as running the same long-lats. So I started changing each town within my home county to coordinates listed by their respective FCC licenses. Each town service would now have its own distinct transmit antenna location. My town had the PD and FD, both conventional but separate repeater systems transmitting from the same tower. The highway dept was transmitting from the roof of their garage, a simplex, VHF low band system. That’s one town down and maybe 20 or so more to go. But doing this for each town/city within the county was time consuming and I never finished. I have not checked in some time to see if RR still assigns the same coordinates for all towns within a county, and I don’t know if every state is like this either but I doubt it... the bigger states take longer to drive thru, Ct only takes a couple hours to drive thru. That may be a determining factor.

But you get the idea... I was going to drive around the county with the GPS on and set to a 1mile range to see if it worked. I should have seen the radio constantly reloading data on the basis of the GPS coordinates and where I was in relation to them.

I have had success with the GPS and range setting while driving from Ct to Fla on I-95. I caught the radio reloading location data as I traveled through the various states and counties, dropping systems and picking up systems along the way. I only allowed FD and PD under Service TSo, it does work. and it saved me from creating FL’s for each state and manually choosing a new FL at the state borders.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
I actually ran into an issue with my range set to 0.0

Because the departments have their own range set I was able to lock onto a site (part of the Statewide system) in another county but only a few of the Talk Groups would actually pop up on the scanner. I was able to use UniTrunker to verify the site had much more activity.

After messing around with it for a while I adjusted my range to 50.0 and all kinds of stuff started coming in. I've since made some adjustments (bumped it down to 25.0 miles) and I'm receiving a lot more traffic on the State system. I'm also getting activity on sites that are farther away from my location.

I thought my SDS100 was deaf, turns out I made it that way by limiting the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.