SDS100/SDS200: SDS100, GPS not working

hydes2004

I am using an RS232 NMEA simulator from my PC. I have it wired to ground and the ID pin on the mini USB. I am unable to receive any GPS data. If I plug the SDS100 into my PC and mount it as a serial device I can send the same NMEA strings over the raidos serial port and it works. I have the baud rates all set correctly.

Any ideas?

hydes2004

Mocking up my cable because I have a handle full of rs232 receivers laying around….

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am using an RS232 NMEA simulator from my PC. I have it wired to ground and the ID pin on the mini USB. I am unable to receive any GPS data. If I plug the SDS100 into my PC and mount it as a serial device I can send the same NMEA strings over the raidos serial port and it works.

Why simulate? Just get what's intended to work with the radio.

hydes2004

I’m using a simulator to make sure it works prior to finalizing everything. I work with GPS for a living. For some reason it does not see any data on that ID line. I checked it with a scope and logic analyzer. It’s there. If I connect scanner to my PC and mount it as a serial port, it passes the data fine…..

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I’m using a simulator to make sure it works prior to finalizing everything.
Sorry, make sure what works prior to finalizing everything? You use gps with scanner. It reads your location. It loads what's around you. It's that simple.

hydes2004

Dave3825, I know that. I am bench testing that everything works prior to heat shrinking everything… I am using the simulator to output NMEA0183 data over an RS232 comm port. No need for you to reply to this thread anymore.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Worth a shot. I just find it odd I cannot get it to work

I couldn't get my homemade power/GPS to work and was vexxed.
I swapped the two and voila...
Not sure if it was bad info (from RR), or some cables have them swapped - but that was the ticket for me.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If the GPS icon isn't showing on the screen - it is not receiving NEMA data...
Correct. Boils down to a wire or 2 in the wrong spot. Been there, done that myself. Never heard of using a simulater to correct a wiring issue.

hydes2004

Not sure how I could have wired it wrong. Gnd to pin 5, I’d to pin 2. Much easier to wire up using a simulator to prove it out. I know the simulator works.

hydes2004

Just read it, it’s wired correctly……..

Gonna try a reset and see what happens. Doesn’t make sense

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
if you haven’t already done so, you may want to review this thread

Uhhhh... did you see post #6??
(Sorry... couldn't resist when I see the same advice - twice in the same thread...)

:)

RMason

Premium Subscriber