SDS100 ID searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAUC1632

Premium Subscriber
While I'm scanning my favorites list number one which is my local Jackson Mi simulcast system I can go to functio E for Q search and enter TGID search mode. I get several non Jackson TGID's. Most show as unknown. Other than holding on these ID's to try to figure out where they are originating is there another was to discover where they originate?

KAUC1632

Premium Subscriber
It appears that I can find the TGID's that are from MPSCS in Michigan to locate where the ID's originate. Most appear to be from adjacent counties. As I'm scanning from Jackson as my number 1 favorite list when I switch to Q search is this the reason why out county TGID's show as unknown?

KAUC1632

Premium Subscriber
I agree with your comment and that's what I'm doing. It just would be nice if during the ID search mode the location shown would be the actual site location rather than site unknown. I say this because the search takes place in the MPSCS system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It appears that I can find the TGID's that are from MPSCS in Michigan to locate where the ID's originate. Most appear to be from adjacent counties. As I'm scanning from Jackson as my number 1 favorite list when I switch to Q search is this the reason why out county TGID's show as unknown?
When you are in ID Scan mode, then only the talkgroups that you have programmed (and that are not set as Avoided) will be scanned.

In ID Search mode, you hear all active talkgroups, as long as they are not set as Avoid, and are not in a Department set as Avoid".

They are "Unknown" talkgroups simply because they are not programmed. Since they are not programmed, there is no text tag in your scanner, and no Service type assigned. Once you identify what they are, & program them, then (if you do not set them as Avoid) the text tag would be displayed, and the assigned service type would also govern whether or not the scanner stops on them.

You can run a Discovery session which can be used to gather recordings to hepl you identify the user. But in many cases, you will find that these 'unknown' TGIDs are already listed for the system, and are only showing as 'unknown' because you do not have them in your Favorites list.

Try using your browsers search or find function by entering in the unknown TGID in the MPSCS link posted...

You can use the system information in the database (see the link Randy provided) and then determine if it is already listed. If it is, but you do not care to hear it, add it to a Department that you then set as Avoid. For one of my local systems, which has a large number of talkgroups that are encrypted (but that have not been positively identified & submitted to the database), I created a Department to put these in, and marked the Department as Avoid, so that the scanner ignores these. (The SDS100 & all of the other recent model Uniden scanners ignore encrypted transmissions, so you don't hear anything. But the scanner very briefly 'stops' on them so that they still show up in logging. By programming them, but placing them in an Avoided department, thet no longer show up in my ProScan logs.)

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Your interest is in hearing only one counties TGID's in your FL (and this is not an issue) However; By omitting all other TGID's outside that range that interests you, The problem that arises when in TGID Search Mode is that they appear as unknown when they really are not.. When you build a Custom FL it's best practice to include all the TGID's from every department; Then Avoid those you don't want to hear, Rather than only including TG's you want to hear.. This mitigates the issue of Known TGIDS appearing as unknowns and allows you to truly benefit from the ID Search Mode TG's that truly are unknown.. There is also likely a wiki page for unknown TGID's to be posted and researched.
Or another way to look at this is Don't use ID Search in that FL.
Tracking UID's or RID's would also help to determine the source of these unknown TG's as well.. This also requires looking at a much bigger picture for the system than just one county.

Steve & I were typing at the same time, He beat me to the punch :LOL: and he's got great points (y)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.