SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

whooey

For starters my USB2 (Charger) Port stopped working, It will work if the wire in the port has downward force, if you hold it just right. I have tried multiple wires. It has not been tugged on or anything like that. I bought a extra battery with charger, so I wouldn't have to worry about charging with battery inside the scanner.

Fast forward a month. Scanning last Friday my scanner went oddly quiet, so I fired up my 536HP, which immediately began chattering. MY SDS100 wouldn't even pick up NOAA weather, it did have a static sound however. I cleared all user data on my micro SD, reloaded it to my SDS100. The scanner would scan my local trunked for a few minutes tops, then go deaf again, not even picking up NOAA, it would just be static.

I filled out all my return paper work and was headed to the UPS place this morning. I have been scanning on my SDS100 for a good 2 hours now on my local trucked system with no issues. I am wondering if my SDS100 has the "cold solder" issue, and its only matter of time before it quits again. My 1 year warranty expires in March. I am reluctant to send it in, afraid Uniden will just say "We couldn't replicate the problem".

I guess I could send it in to get the charger port fixed.

Thoughts??

xusmarine1979

Honestly as much as I hated being apart from mine I'd just send it in to be sure. Because mine worked off and on at first just like yours then totally deaf. And if you contact Uniden Support on here she does a fantastic job communicating and updating you in case the site itself doesn't.

whooey

Honestly as much as I hated being apart from mine I'd just send it in to be sure. Because mine worked off and on at first just like yours then totally deaf. And if you contact Uniden Support on here she does a fantastic job communicating and updating you in case the site itself doesn't.

Ok, so the intermittent deafness happened to you as well. Glad to hear there is a support person on here on RR. Thank you for your reply.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I'm on my third SDS100. The first two had speaker failure.

I wouldn't worry about getting the same unit back resulting from them being unable to duplicate the issue. In both my experiences, they simply send you a replacement (refurbished/tested) unit.

Last edited:

xusmarine1979

I'm on my third SDS100. The first two had speaker failure.

I wouldn't worry about getting the same unit back resulting from them unable to duplicate the issue. In both my experiences, they simply send you a replacement (refurbished/tested) unit.

Yup, they simply replaced mine and I couldn't be happier.

wb2fve

I have an original SDS100 that came with the smaller battery pack. It is registered and I have sent several emails inquiring about the larger battery pack and door that was to be sent. Can the "Uniden Support" member help me?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Go to my.uniden.com and verify your address, and you'll get your battery automatically.

LouieCT

Premium Subscriber
Im waiting on mine, same issue they got it on 12/27....i hate not having it since my State police is using Simulcast and my 436HP and my TRX1 cant monitor them correctly. The site hasnt shown any update but from the looks of it I am waiting at least a month =(

whooey

Im waiting on mine, same issue they got it on 12/27....i hate not having it since my State police is using Simulcast and my 436HP and my TRX1 cant monitor them correctly. The site hasnt shown any update but from the looks of it I am waiting at least a month =(

Yep it was 32 days from shipping to receiving. Not bad at all!

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
Yep it says

"COLD SOLDER JOINT
J403"
Cold solder joint has been mentioned several times as the repair done to an SDS100.

Does anyone know if this cold solder joint is in one specific area , or occurring at varying locations?

The adventuresome among us might want to open the case up to see if there's a dull-coloring, the hallmark of a cold solder joint, in our own radios, or to reheat that joint in case the radio malfunctions.

Noticed the "J403." Is that a connector soldered to the PCB? Where?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's the multi-pin connector that connects the display and RF circuit boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.