SDS100 - Mobile antenna interference

andy404ns

Hello all!

I recently purchased an SDS100 and have a question about interference with different antenna types. Using the stock rubber duckie and also the Diamond RH77CA, I get constant interference on a UHF channel 451.3000 and, oddly, the associated input channel (I think?) of 456.3000 at 3 bars of reception. When I switch to my attic mounted antenna, the interference stops. To test that it's interference from the antenna, I took the scanner with me today and drove about 20 miles from home. There I still get the interference with the same indicated 3 bars of reception.

Frequencies between 451.3 and 456.3 do not have this same problem.

The attic antenna is a basic discone with something like 100 feet of RG-6 feeding into an Electroline zero-loss splitter.

The frequency in question is licensed to a local business as DMR that I'd like to monitor so I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

I have video of the sound of the interference and can try to figure out how to upload if that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The frequency in question is licensed to a local business as DMR that I'd like to monitor so I'm trying to figure out what's going on.
Which business is that?

The only confirmed as in use entity on the freq for CT (radio reference database) comes up as Onevoice DMR system and the site with that freq is listed in NH.

These entries are FCC licensed users (FCC website) in your county and may or may not be using the freq. They also reflect DMR. Not saying you, but lots of people think because a freq is licensed that it also means in use and that is not the case.

MARCUS COMMUNICATIONS451.300000FB611K2F3E100.000WQZW330AHARTFORDHARTFORDCTIG
MARCUS COMMUNICATIONS451.300000FB611K2F3E200.000WQZW330AHARTFORDHARTFORDCTIG
MARCUS COMMUNICATIONS451.300000FB67K60FXE100.000WQZW330AHARTFORDHARTFORDCTIG
MARCUS COMMUNICATIONS451.300000FB67K60FXE200.000WQZW330AHARTFORDHARTFORDCTIG
THREE-WAY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.451.300000FB611K0F3E180.000WPLX798AGRANBYHARTFORDCTYG

andy404ns

Thanks for the replies. My profile needs to be updated. I'm not in CT any longer - I'm in NH. The business is a local school. I do have the DMR upgrade applied and I can confirm that I do receive the school transmissions when they key up as they overpower whatever the interference is. Further to that - the interference will only pop up if I'm using a general search. If I have the frequencies programmed as either "Digital Code Search" or as the proper DMR One Frequency system, the interference is not an issue.

I'm mostly just curious what could be happening with the mobile antennas that lead to the interference in the first place.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Ubbe

I get constant interference on a UHF channel 451.3000 and, oddly, the associated input channel (I think?) of 456.3000 at 3 bars of reception. When I switch to my attic mounted antenna, the interference stops.
I get the same 3 bars using the antenna on the SDS100 and using either Wide Normal or Wide Invert in filter settings. Using external antenna or any other filter selections will indicate no signal strength when squelch are set to 0.

It could be some internal clock or oscillator signals that radiate from the scanners electronics, like what was from the BCD436 in the UHF band when a filter capacitor where not installed on its circuit board.

/Ubbe

andy404ns

@Ubbe Very interesting. Thanks for providing that feedback. Do you suspect this is anything Uniden would want to know about? It's not like it's causing a big issue unless I'm doing a direct search.

Ubbe

Do you suspect this is anything Uniden would want to know about?
Uniden created extra filter settings, and IFX, to be able to handle those kinds of problems. There's a huge amount of internal interferences in a SDS100 receiver so it would be impossible to do anything about them, except to try and move them to a frequency where they do not disturb reception.

/Ubbe

andy404ns

Makes sense. When I get around to it I'll run a test applying each available filter to this channel and monitor if the interference is resolved. If I discover anything interesting I'll post back here.

Thanks all very much for the information and help here!