SDS100 Mounting Suggestions for Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I'm leaning strongly towards buying the SDS100, but want to "figure out all the angles" before I buy. The first and most important (to me) is how I'm going to mount it in the car with the least amount of wire clutter, and in a location that is easily accessible. So, I'm going to ask you guys here, how do you have your Uniden SDS100 mounted? Could you please include a photo? If you use a holder, can you supply a link to the one you use? Any pros/cons?

For example, sometimes things look "okay online", but in practice may not live up to one's expectations. For instance the Weather Tech Phone holder, in the video below looks okay, (except the price) but I'm unsure of the weight of the SDS100 or if this holder, which may be fine for a lightweight smartphone would even work with the heavier scanner. So, I defer to you guys who've obviously figured all this out already. :)(y)

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 Ram mount set ups, for the SDS-100 the universal “finger grip” mount holds the scanner, 1 is in a cup holder and 1 attaches to the windshield via suction cup. Both work very well and hold the scanner very securely. You can adjust the viewing angle. They are expensive, but work great at securing an expensive scanner.
73, Rex

nosoup4u

Feed Provider

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I use a ProClip specific to my model car, mounts behind the car radio chassis, and a mic clip from Lido Mounts attached to the ProClip. See pics. A large SDS100 Battery is being used.

Attachments

• SDS100 2.jpg
    SDS100 2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 111
  • SDS100 1.jpg
    SDS100 1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 107

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I bought one of these and it works really well for me. Your milage may vary depending on how your vehicle is situated.

Note the disclaimer towards bottom of listing. Only works with larger upgrade battery door
1640100108659.png

cpohlad

Premium Subscriber
I use a ProClip specific to my model car, mounts behind the car radio chassis, and a mic clip from Lido Mounts attached to the ProClip. See pics. A large SDS100 Battery is being used.
What is the model of that mic holder from Lido? Trying to find it on their site.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
IMO the SDS100 doesn't have the audio output power to overcome road / tire / wind noise in all but the quietest vehicles. It was unsat in my Jeep, and barely acceptable in my F-150. Something to keep in mind.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
IMO the SDS100 doesn't have the audio output power to overcome road / tire / wind noise in all but the quietest vehicles. It was unsat in my Jeep, and barely acceptable in my F-150. Something to keep in mind.
Understood, thanks for the heads up on that. Part of the wire clutter I mentioned would be for an amplified speaker. No way I'm gonna spend that kind of money and not get GPS and speaker accessories. I went that route in the mid 90"s with a BC200XLT it also needed extra volume when on the freeway.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I bought one of these and it works really well for me. Your milage may vary depending on how your vehicle is situated.

I think this 3D printed one that you posted will be perfect for my 2018 Elantra as the cup holder in mere inches away from the 12v power connector (behind that silver sliding door) shown in this stock photo, so one can hide the excess cabling.

DASH.jpg

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I use an external lapel speaker that I have lengthened the cable and have it mounted with velcro in the roof trim adjacent to my left ear.
See below: You can find these on eBay or anywhere else online. Mine is over 15 years old.
https://www.scannermaster.com/Scanner_Lapel_Speaker_p/01-531338.htm

Years ago I used to have a Radio Shack extension lapel speaker, but got rid of it and the scanner when I bought my first HT. Now though I'm looking for a "clean install" with an absolute minimum of wires hanging everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.