SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 never fully charged?

JayCen

Hello everyone,

I just got my SDS100 (an SDS100e model in fact) and I notice a strange issue. The device seems never fully charged, even though it's charged for 16h+. The voltage indicates that it goes up initialy, but stops and stays on 3.9v level. The charging red light never comes off.

I am using the original wall charger (5v, 2A) and the mini usb cable that came with the box, and charge the device while it's off. I am sure that I used the lower hole wihch is for charge. It's the big one 5.4AH Li battery. It has been through a few charging cycles already.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Thank you!

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I just got my SDS100 (an SDS100e model in fact) and I notice a strange issue. The device seems never fully charged, even though it's charged for 16h+. The voltage indicates that it goes up initialy, but stops and stays on 3.9v level. The charging red light never comes off.

I am using the original wall charger (5v, 2A) and the mini usb cable that came with the box, and charge the device while it's off. I am sure that I used the lower hole wihch is for charge. It's the big one 5.4AH Li battery. It has been through a few charging cycles already.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Thank you!

I honestly don’t rely on the charging indicator light, as sometimes you can see the red light all the time, and just by unplugging and plugging it back in the light becomes green.

Are you able to use the external battery charger? I took a voltmeter to my battery just off the charger, and it’s reading 4.2v. When it’s inserted into the scanner and powered on, the same battery is reading between 4.1v to 4.08v.

JayCen

I honestly don’t rely on the charging indicator light, as sometimes you can see the red light all the time, and just by unplugging and plugging it back in the light becomes green.

Are you able to use the external battery charger? I took a voltmeter to my battery just off the charger, and it’s reading 4.2v. When it’s inserted into the scanner and powered on, the same battery is reading between 4.1v to 4.08v.

Thank you for your reply. Right now I don't have the external charger in hand. But I got this device from my friend, who has the external charger and tested once on the battery. He says the battery can be fully charged in the external, and the voltage reading on the screen was around 4.1v. But now I use the wall charger and it never goes beyond 3.9v, despite long charger time (I suppose 16h+ is long enough). The device and battery are fairly new and have never been through heavy use.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply. Right now I don't have the external charger in hand. But I got this device from my friend, who has the external charger and tested once on the battery. He says the battery can be fully charged in the external, and the voltage reading on the screen was around 4.1v. But now I use the wall charger and it never goes beyond 3.9v, despite long charger time (I suppose 16h+ is long enough). The device and battery are fairly new and have never been through heavy use.
Play around with different cables and chargers. You can also check the USB voltage delivery if you set one of the screen items to list it. It should be at least 4.75v or greater to see a decent charge rate and power to operate the scanner.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
I don't have the external charger either - I've been worried about the battery clip breaking.

To monitor whats going on I use a USB power meter connected between an external 5 volt DC source and the charging cable. On ebay mine is called "2 in 1 Type USB C Power Meter Tester".

Somewhere I read here that the charging current is around 700mA (0.70 Amps) until fully charged, when it drops to zero.

See pix:
USDS100_CHG1.JPGUSDS100_CHG2.JPGUSDS100_CHG3.JPG

JayCen

Play around with different cables and chargers. You can also check the USB voltage delivery if you set one of the screen items to list it. It should be at least 4.75v or greater to see a decent charge rate and power to operate the scanner.

Thank you for your suggestion. I think I find where the problem might be. I set the usb hub voltage display, and it shows it's around 4.1-4.3v range. This might cause the ineffective charging. I try several 5v adaptor, but the reading still 4.1-4.3v. I susppect it's the wire problem. I am getting a new one to test, already ordered. I will keep updating the result. Thanks everyone for help.

Last edited:

JayCen

I don't have the external charger either - I've been worried about the battery clip breaking.

To monitor whats going on I use a USB power meter connected between an external 5 volt DC source and the charging cable. On ebay mine is called "2 in 1 Type USB C Power Meter Tester".

Somewhere I read here that the charging current is around 700mA (0.70 Amps) until fully charged, when it drops to zero.

See pix:
View attachment 131340View attachment 131341View attachment 131342

Thank you for your suggestion. I am also getting one of this meter to test.

Ubbe

Even if there's a voltage drop from charger and cable, and it doesn't go into low bus voltage warning, it should eventually charge the battery to full voltage even if it takes a longer time. I always get low bus voltage with chargers that only give 4,9V but using one that gives 5.3V I can use any cable I have.

I don't see the ampere meter I use go over 500mA while charging, so seems to be a current limit at about that level. The scanner itself takes 800-900mA.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

I set the usb hub voltage display, and it shows it's around 4.1-4.3v range. This might cause the ineffective charging.
I think it might be a misunderstanding here. You can only display the battery voltage, and that seems fine, and not the bus voltage.

/Ubbe

JayCen

I think it might be a misunderstanding here. You can only display the battery voltage, and that seems fine, and not the bus voltage.

/Ubbe

Here is what I got with the charging setting. With the cable plugged in, the USB2 now shows 4.5v range, but I suppose this might still be not enough voltage to fully charge the battery?

Also, this reading is based on disabled "charge while on" option. If I enable this option, the USB2 voltage will immediately drop to 3.8v range and soon the device will give a "low usb hub voltage" warning. Still suspecting it's the wire problem.

35d1785ab66f47c7bda4d5c52e6b34d.jpg

Ubbe

With the cable plugged in, the USB2 now shows 4.5v range
Thanks for the info and the correction. I didn't had those USB choices 2 years ago when configuring the display. I power from USB1 and the display indicate 5.1V so definitely too low with 4,5V

/Ubbe

JayCen

Hello everyone. Update about the voltage issue.
The new mini usb cable came today, and I got 5.1v output with this new one. Just as I suspeced, it was the problem with the original cable, causing a 0.5v drop.
Anyway, thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I am still learning to use this machine, and up till now I am quite pleased with its performance.

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
mmm my my red light stays on the whole time will it ever go off im using the orignal cable that came with it should i get another one

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Eventually the light should change to green indicating a full charge. A reasonable amount of time to fully charge shouldn’t take more than overnight but before you leave the battery unattended while charging, I would charge it during the day, where you can check on it routinely. Ideally, since the battery may have a questionable safety concern (you state it hasn’t fully charged as yet), the battery should be removed from the radio and charged in the external charger offered by Uniden. If the battery is defective and will not charge fully, it may also swell. If that happens while still in the radio you could damage the radio. I doubt that is the case but better to be safe than sorry.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Remember:
The SDS100 requires a cable with AWG24 power wires in it to charge while on (if enabled in settings).
Or, you will get the low voltage error.