SDS100 no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovelasco

I have an sds100 from just over 2 months ago, suddenly it ran out of audio. Try with headphones and they do not work either. I turn on the equipment and it does not emit any type of sound. Try to firmware upgrade and noting happen
Any ideas? Has it happened to anyone?
Thank you

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Barring something obvious like the volume being all the way down, it could be a hardware issue. Just to be clear, it is scanning properly, correct?

It's odd that the headphones and the normal speaker are both not working, worse case scenario is I would recommend sending it in for repair.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
I was looking to see if anyone had this problem. You're not alone. Mine today no audio at all. It pickups the conventional systems and trunking systems like normal and scans everything. But no audio. And also it has a popping sound coming from speaker. I just got this scanner less than than a month. Know I got two scanners down

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Joe_Blough

I was looking to see if anyone had this problem. You're not alone. Mine today no audio at all. It pickups the conventional systems and trunking systems like normal and scans everything. But no audio. And also it has a popping sound coming from speaker. I just got this scanner less than than a month. Know I got two scanners down

Watch your return window and if it isn't something simple but instead turns out to be a problem with the radio, return it for a refund or exchange. Shouldn't be a restocking fee or shipping charges on a defective radio. You don't want to be paying shipping out of your own pocket to send it to Uniden for repair and wait weeks to get it back if you don't have to, especially after paying $650 for it. Always return things to the retailer for an immediate refund or replacement if you are within the return period.

Joe_Blough

Have you tried plugging headphones in to see if you hear audio? Have you used headphones with it in the past?

I have no idea how it is on the SDS100 but I have seen radios where the audio to the speaker passes through the headphone jack. The headphone jack acts like a switch with contacts touching each other to pass the audio to the speaker. When you plug in headphones, the the plug on the headphones opens the contacts which mutes the speaker while one of the contacts touches the headphone plug sending the audio to the headphones.

When someone plugs and unplugs headphones a lot the contacts lose their spring tension and over time the contacts won't touch each other after the headphones are unplugged and the result is a radio that functions normally except there is no sound to the speaker. Doubtful on a new radio but something to check.

Hit_Factor

I had an HP2 stop making sound. Opened it up, searched for and found exact speaker online. Fix was about 10 bucks with shipping.

Far easier and quicker than sending in for repair.

RadioSc

Have you tried plugging headphones in to see if you hear audio? Have you used headphones with it in the past?

Never used headphones. But I'm contacting the Ham radio place about replacing it. It is less than a month old

RadioSc

Never used headphones. But I'm contacting the Ham radio place about replacing it. It is less than a month old

I just plugged in headphones and I hear audio. Good relief there it's the speaker only. Bad thing is I don't use headphones for listening. I like to listen to on low volume while I sleep. Its soothing to the ears. To hear police chasing a suspect with like 50 police cars involved. I hear this and laugh and say. What a beating the suspect getting when they stop. Then I fall back to sleep

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget that an external speaker will often give you a better sound than the small internal portable speaker. I know a lot people who always use an external speaker and not just in the car.

However, considering how new it is I think I would try to get it fixed or replaced.

Joe_Blough

Don't forget that an external speaker will often give you a better sound than the small internal portable speaker. I know a lot people who always use an external speaker and not just in the car.

However, considering how new it is I think I would try to get it fixed or replaced.
I agree especially at $650

rovelasco

Sorry, new test!!! Have external sound over a JBL amplified speaker!!! Maybe is the internal jack as somebody suggest!!! How can I fix it? Or must be return to uniden?
Thanks

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I'm on my 3rd SDS100 because of speaker failure. Headphone jack worked, but the speaker didn't. Probably 90% of my monitoring is through an external.

SMBaugh2

There is something with the speakers on Uniden's scanners that needs to be addressed. I have return a 296D, and a 396T both for speaker problems. Their speakers I noticed for some reason since Electra own the Bearcat name always seem a little low in volume. Even my SDS-100 seems low. But I will have to knock on wood my SDS-100 so far still has volume. I might add though that Digital systems do not seem to be as loud as Analogs.

Joe_Blough

Sorry, new test!!! Have external sound over a JBL amplified speaker!!! Maybe is the internal jack as somebody suggest!!! How can I fix it? Or must be return to uniden?
Thanks
See post 4. If you are within your return period from the place you bought it from, request an exchange or refund. If you send it to Uniden you are going to have to pay shipping and wait weeks to get it back. If you are outside of your return window and want to repair it to save shipping charges and waiting weeks to get it back, check with the Hit_Factor in post 6 to see where he got the speaker.

RadioSc

This my first time sending scanner to uniden for repair. Do uniden need the tracking info?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Joe_Blough

This my first time sending scanner to uniden for repair. Do uniden need the tracking info?

Were you past your return window? Just curious why someone would pay out of their own pocket to ship a brand new item for repair and wait weeks to get it back.

RadioSc

Because the place i got it from Ham Radio Outlet, Inc. Didn't want to exchange the radio although it was less than 30 days old. I guess they had a 7 day return policy. They said if it's the speaker it'll have to be sent to uniden. The store had a lot of them on hand. Aint like they was going to run out. By exchanging one. I was on phone with them and email the owner no reponse. I'll won't be going back to Ham Radio Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.