SDS100 no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

You didn't buy a warranty from HRO. Why should they exchange and incur the cost?

You also didn't shop around to find out what the exchange policy is. Not every retailer can mimic Amazon.

HRO is well suited to help you make a decisions regarding what will work for you. Amazon can't do that.

I offered up a next day solution for $10, but maybe you don't have the skills. I'm sure you do have skills.

This isn't HROs fault

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
Its HROs fault because I was on the phone with them. And they clearly told me that any USB mini b cord would work and charge the SDS 100. Well just letting anybody know out there. Just not any USB mini b cord will work. And that's why my SDS 100 is on the way to Roanoke Texas.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Hit_Factor

Its HROs fault because I was on the phone with them. And they clearly told me that any USB mini b cord would work and charge the SDS 100. Well just letting anybody know out there. Just not any USB mini b cord will work. And that's why my SDS 100 is on the way to Roanoke Texas.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
I think you got the wrong idea here. The USB cord can't damage the speaker. We'll see what it was when you get the repair slip back.

If you haven't noticed everything in this hobby is getting harder.

I get it, electronics is outside your skill set. Brain surgery is outside of mine. Uniformed bashing of one the handful of remaing dealers is going to leave us with Amazon and maybe Walmart.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Wow. That makes zero sense. I don't see any way even a shorted USB Mini cable could damage the speaker or amplifier output. I have seen many different USB Mini cables used with the SDS100 on these forums without damaging the scanner. The worst that happened is that if the cable was poorly made with small gauge wire and was not designed to carry 1.5-2.0 amps, it could not run the scanner and charge it at the same time. There were a couple of people who ended up with a damaged USB connector on the scanner but I think that was done with the factory cable. I don't see how any of this is HROs fault.

Joe_Blough

Thank you for the reply. Their website says they have a 10 day return policy but even that is ridiculous. It shows how little they care about their customers. Their website also says "Ham Radio Outlet supports all manufacturers' warranties". I guess by support they mean you box it up and pay for shipping to Uniden while they do nothing.

Maybe that's why they have a lot on hand. People don't want to drop $650 with a 10 day return policy.

dougjgray

If indeed the USB cable was at fault to damage the speaker/sound circuit and it was not the one that came with the scanner, then I can see why they would not take it back, they would have to send it back to uniden and uniden may blame the USB cable and not manufacturing defect. So they may have to pay for the repair.

I should add though, if I was a dealer it would be strange to diagnose a bad USB cable as causing the speaker/sound failure

Last edited:

Joe_Blough

You didn't buy a warranty from HRO. Why should they exchange and incur the cost?

If the product is returned within the return period there is no cost to HRO, except maybe return shipping which is the cost of doing business and amounts to nothing when your return policy for defective products is only 10 days. They get a credit from Uniden for the defective unit.

Plus HRO's website states "Ham Radio Outlet supports all manufacturers' warranties". Telling someone to ship a product back to the manufacturer doesn't sound like they support all warranties.

I bought a part for my car from Amazon 7 months ago that went bad. The manufacturer's warranty is 2 years. I contacted Amazon and they said they are responsible for the warranty because they are the ones who sold the part and they provided a return shipping label. That's what supporting a manfacturers' warranty means.

Last edited:

Joe_Blough

I get it, electronics is outside your skill set. Brain surgery is outside of mine. Uniformed bashing of one the handful of remaing dealers is going to leave us with Amazon and maybe Walmart.

Amazon sells scanners and has a 30 day return period. Home Depot sells scanners and has a 30 day return period on consumer electronics. Walmart sells scanners and has a 90 day return period. Scanner Masters sells scanners and has a 30 day return period.

If you want to have a 10 day return period on items that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and say you support all manufacturers warranties but tell your customers to ship it to the manufacturer themselves than scanner sales are outside your skill set and maybe you shouldn't be in business.

Regardless of the USB cable, the speaker became defective and this isn't the only case of this happening on the SDS100.

rovelasco

Because the place i got it from Ham Radio Outlet, Inc. Didn't want to exchange the radio although it was less than 30 days old. I guess they had a 7 day return policy. They said if it's the speaker it'll have to be sent to uniden. The store had a lot of them on hand. Aint like they was going to run out. By exchanging one. I was on phone with them and email the owner no reponse. I'll won't be going back to Ham Radio Outlet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Same problem!!! I got from HRO too!!! I spoke with Barry and they told me to send to Uniden directly. Tha main problem is that I have some exrra licesnses like DMR and NXDN and if they change the unit, I lost the licenses...

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Same problem!!! I got from HRO too!!! I spoke with Barry and they told me to send to Uniden directly. Tha main problem is that I have some exrra licesnses like DMR and NXDN and if they change the unit, I lost the licenses...

You will NOT lose your DMR or NXDN.

All you have to do is reenter the keys in the repaired radio.

I had to do the same thing when they replaced my main controller board, which had the chips on it that contained my DMR & NXDN. I just reentered my Keys into the radio and was up and running.

If they send you a different radio (different SN) you will need to register it at Uniden so your keys will be associated with the new SN. You will not be required to buy new Keys. This has come up before so do a Search on this site and you will find more details.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Joe_Blough

I also saw a reply from UPMan saying that if you end up returning a radio with the upgrades for a refund, as long as you have a refund receipt Uniden will refund the cost of the upgrades.

Joe_Blough

I had to do the same thing when they replaced my main controller board, which had the chips on it that contained my DMR & NXDN. I just reentered my Keys into the radio and was up and running.

So is the key number the same for everyone? In other words if you gave your key to someone else, could they enter it in their radio to unlock the DMR or NXDN upgrades? I assumed the key codes were unique based on serial number and that's the reason you had to register the serial number at Uniden to get the DMR and NXDN upgrade keys.

Seems there would be a black market for the key code if it was the same for everyone. One guy buys the code and sells it to 100 people for $10.

If I send back a radio with the upgrades and get an exchange and have to associate the new radio with my key code, doesn't the old radio still have the upgrades with the same key code or are you issued new keys at no cost?

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
Anyone know the size of SDS100 speaker ?
I have speaker failure for my SDS100.
I reccomend on sending it back to Uniden Service. Because the SDS 100 model has water sealing around the speaker. And mostly around the other compartments. Is still under warranty?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Anyone know the size of SDS100 speaker ?
I have speaker failure for my SDS100.
The speaker may not be bad. It uses a pair of spring clips to connect to the motherboard. In most cases you can get the speaker working again by removing the 6 screws holding the front case faceplate (4 of them are in the battery compartment) cleaning the contact surfaces on the spring clips and the motherboard, bending the clips outward a little to increase tension, and reassembling. It takes maybe 10 minutes, just be careful of the ribbon cable connecting the keypad to the motherboard. You also may want to put a piece of blue masking tape over the LCD and inside of the clear window in the case while you're working to catch dust and prevent scratching anything inside the case.

20180606_114423c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.