SDS100 Noise on Conventional Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnstrickland

A few months ago, my SDS-100 began stopping on every conventional channel with a crackling sound, as if squelch (no matter how I set the squelch) wasn't working. Since that began, I have avoided everything except the trunked (mostly P25) traffic, which continues to be received correctly. Is the squelch for the problem channels using completely different squelch circuits, and, if so, does that mean I have some component failure that needs repair? I've had this radio for almost three years. Any suggestions?

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Mine SDS 100 about 60 days old, was working perfect. Today got in my car and it was getting crackling and locking on channels. I adjusted squelch and still keeps chirping. Sounds same as first post here. Any ideas??

wnstrickland

It does sound like the symptoms my radio was showing. I opened the case, but I decided not to remove the printed circuit board to begin hunting for the problem's source. So I took the easy way out and sent it to Uniden repair. They estimate they'll ship it to me by Nov. 5, but repair status indicates they haven't actually started working on it yet. Your complaint's similarity to mine makes me think it's a common enough problem that they'll be able to correct it quickly. Estimated repair cost and shipping back to me total about $89 so I included a check. If more parts than normal are needed, they'll let me know. If it only needs a circuit component or a solder joint correction, I don't imagine I'll get a partial refund, but who knows?
In my case, I was forced to manually "avoid" all channels that stopped scanning, which left me with just one P25 system to monitor. Of course, if the scanner was stopped on a static-y conventional channel and there was activity on that channel, I could hear it just fine, but that's not a workable situation.
If I find out anything useful from Uniden's repair, I'll update this thread.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It does sound like the symptoms my radio was showing. I opened the case, but I decided not to remove the printed circuit board to begin hunting for the problem's source. So I took the easy way out and sent it to Uniden repair. They estimate they'll ship it to me by Nov. 5, but repair status indicates they haven't actually started working on it yet. Your complaint's similarity to mine makes me think it's a common enough problem that they'll be able to correct it quickly. Estimated repair cost and shipping back to me total about $89 so I included a check. If more parts than normal are needed, they'll let me know. If it only needs a circuit component or a solder joint correction, I don't imagine I'll get a partial refund, but who knows?
In my case, I was forced to manually "avoid" all channels that stopped scanning, which left me with just one P25 system to monitor. Of course, if the scanner was stopped on a static-y conventional channel and there was activity on that channel, I could hear it just fine, but that's not a workable situation.
If I find out anything useful from Uniden's repair, I'll update this thread.
Uniden treats the repairs as a flat rate. In almost all cases, the fee includes whatever parts are needed, be it a main circuit board, display, or most anything else. The exception would be a scanner that was pretty much beyond reasonable repair, like catastrophic damage from a hard fall. In those cases, they may offer a credit towards a replacement. See the note on the first page of the repair process.

wnstrickland

Uniden treats the repairs as a flat rate. In almost all cases, the fee includes whatever parts are needed, be it a main circuit board, display, or most anything else. The exception would be a scanner that was pretty much beyond reasonable repair, like catastrophic damage from a hard fall. In those cases, they may offer a credit towards a replacement. See the note on the first page of the repair process.
Quite right. I read and re-read all the repair info before going with it. I didn't actually expect any refund for extremely simple repairs. Sorry I didn't make that clear!

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Hey thanks, looks like the two month old SDS 100 has to go in for repairs. Could anyone tell me the procedure for sending it, tel #?, anything. Looked in warranty on last page of instruction book, but says its warrantied for 12 months and return address.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey thanks, looks like the two month old SDS 100 has to go in for repairs. Could anyone tell me the procedure for sending it, tel #?, anything. Looked in warranty on last page of instruction book, but says its warrantied for 12 months and return address.
Set up the repair on the page Randy linked.

Since this appears to be a warrantable repair, you should include your proof of purchase to validate the warranty coverage.

wnstrickland

As mentioned earlier, I took the easy way out and sent my SDS100 to Uniden Repair. They received it from me on 8 October and immediately estimated they would ship it back to me on 5 November. There was no update to the repair status until 6 November, and they shipped it out the same day. I received it via FedEx on 9 November.

It's working as it should, and I figure it was well worth the $79.95+$10 shipping it cost me. The only part listed in the repair report was J401, which I believe is a ribbon cable connecting two boards. As suggested by a commenter in this thread and by numerous reports, a failed connection, probably at a cold solder joint, caused my problems.

Without having actually talked with Uniden, I'm guessing I can reduce the likelihood of the problem recurring by avoiding bumps to the radio and abrupt temperature changes. I don't know that to be the case, of course, so perhaps some SDS100 expert can comment on my guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bill

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned earlier, I took the easy way out and sent my SDS100 to Uniden Repair. They received it from me on 8 October and immediately estimated they would ship it back to me on 5 November. There was no update to the repair status until 6 November, and they shipped it out the same day. I received it via FedEx on 9 November.

It's working as it should, and I figure it was well worth the $79.95+$10 shipping it cost me. The only part listed in the repair report was J401, which I believe is a ribbon cable connecting two boards. As suggested by a commenter in this thread and by numerous reports, a failed connection, probably at a cold solder joint, caused my problems.

Without having actually talked with Uniden, I'm guessing I can reduce the likelihood of the problem recurring by avoiding bumps to the radio and abrupt temperature changes. I don't know that to be the case, of course, so perhaps some SDS100 expert can comment on my guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bill
The J401 is actually a connector between the two circuit boards in the SDS100. See this lengthy thread for more details about the cold solder joint issue.

wnstrickland

Odds are high that the Uniden repair will fail.
For less than you spent i shipped a sds100 to jonwenkie and got t
I will bear that in mind! Still, I had it for a few years before anything went wrong, so I'm hoping for the best. I think if the same thing fails again I might just try fixing it myself. Perhaps Uniden should modify the connector and maybe the PCB in future models.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I will bear that in mind! Still, I had it for a few years before anything went wrong, so I'm hoping for the best. I think if the same thing fails again I might just try fixing it myself. Perhaps Uniden should modify the connector and maybe the PCB in future models.
I appreciate your sentiments. Yeah between the two units there's probably a lot of things that Uniden should have modified for future units. Unfortunately that's not the way it happened but the logic is smart and right on.

After awhile you recognize reality and still go for the best results. I agree with Budd, you're going to get a better repair with Jon, probably a faster turnaround also. You want your radio to be optimal and don't want to compromise. You also want the repair to be permanent.

We have certain expectations from our vendors and manufacturers of the stuff we spend so much money on but it doesn't always pan out exactly the way you think it should.

Recognize Sage advice when you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.